canapes or cheese plate to room?

xeena

.......We love cheese, but having that everyday might be too much with our early dinner seating. Shrimp though...might be tasty and much less filling. Rough life having to make such a decision:)
You can always order the fruit plate instead of the cheese plate, or in addition to it, or alternate.

We prefer going up to the buffet 4ish and having their 'tea'. The scones with cream are quite good. Or (and sometimes and) we also enjoy the sushi around 6.
........and don't forget about the ice-cream with the different toppings, or the freshly baked cookies. Or maybe the pizza.

As MyDogRudy says, it's a rough life having the responsibility of needing to make all these important decisions each day. :D

I love the canapes, wife hates them. She has no palate. :eek:

I'm with your wife on this one. I'm not being nasty, but having a good laugh trying to find the appeal of the canapés when there are so many other tasty treats around. The bread is usually stale because they are prepared and delivered so early. After a lot of wine and laughs, my husband talked me into skipping cc on our last cruise because I couldn't justify the cost when we could get the same cabin in a better location for a lot less. BTW, my husband would always eat the canapes when we were in cc but trust me they were not missed. I will confess that we are in cc on our next trip just to pick up the final point to get us to elite. There were many more drinks and laughs sorting this because we always get the premium bev package so the happy hour is lost on us and we can not really find any reason to gain elite status. There seems to be a lot of laundry and internet perks, but I pack more than I need and we both like being disconnected while cruising so I have no good argument. I just want it because I can have it. In the future I suspect we'll be happy as long as we have our bev package and a verandah. Now all this discussion of shrimp, cheese and wine have gotten to me and since I am not currently sailing I have to move my lazy bum to get it myself.

You might want to go to the buffet area at 5PM and get some sushi to bring back to your cabin. It's far better than the canapes or cheese platter they serve. Unfortunately, room service will not deliver sushi....

+1! We did this every night after I realized I like Ebi and then I looked forward to it every day! As a matter of fact we have now gotten sushi every weekend after debarking on March 16, I miss the ship!!

Regarding the cheese plate, has anyone been able to get table crackers with it rather than saltines? I don't care for saltines. I noticed Royal Caribbean switched to saltines a couple years ago for their cheese plate and on Silhouette last year we also got saltines. The room service people didn't seem to know what table crackers were when I asked about them. The photos of the cheese plate showing saltine crackers reminded me about it.

Regarding the cheese plate, has anyone been able to get table crackers with it rather than saltines? I don't care for saltines. I noticed Royal Caribbean switched to saltines a couple years ago for their cheese plate and on Silhouette last year we also got saltines. The room service people didn't seem to know what table crackers were when I asked about them. The photos of the cheese plate showing saltine crackers reminded me about it.

Hmmm... I've never received a cheese plate from room service with saltines. It is always an assortment of more appropriate crackers - and pretty nice ones too.

Even last cruise when our cheese plate didn't arrive on time it was sitting in the cabin when we got back later that day and it had a nice assortment of crackers.

If you are on a cruise where they give you saltines then stop by the buffet at lunch time and pick up some. They usually have a nice assortment of crackers either at lunch time or mid afternoon which, unfortunately, they've always just taken down when we've arrived there around 4:30 at the end of a port day.

I always pack a box of assorted crackers, much better than saltines. Sometimes I grab cheese from the buffet at lunch to eat pre-dinner. That way I get what we like.

On Silhouette (Sept. 29, 2012 Med sailing) the only packaged crackers that I saw onboard were saltines. Those were what was provided with the cheese tray. They had some open crackers (looked like Ritz and Wheat Thins) sitting on a tray with the cheeses in the buffet during lunch but not at other times.

I usually wanted a cheese tray late at night so alternate crackers weren't readily available. I thought to grab some Ritz-type once, but by evening they had gotten mushy (sea air?) and weren't edible. I didn't think about bringing Ziplok bags to keep crackers fresh.

Does anyone have pics of the actual canapes for AQ and CC? All I've heard is they aren't very good and many people get replacements. We love cheese, but having that everyday might be too much with our early dinner seating. Shrimp though...might be tasty and much less filling. Rough life having to make such a decision:)

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

On the Eclipse 2/24 sailing in S1-1663 my butler told me that they did not serve the canapes any longer (or at least on that deck and perhaps the entire ship) but I was able to get massive shrimp platters as well as the cheese plates when ever I asked....and more than a few when I did not ask. :D

Dessert on the balcony sounds great. Who do you ask for the MDR menu?

Ask your room attendant to provide the MDR menu. After you decide, dial "Room Service" on the phone and inform them that you would like to order from the MDR menu and provide your choices. Your room attendant will be the one to retrieve your dinner and bring it to your room. Tips are definitely appropriate for this situation, IMO.

Those in suites can do this through their butler, as I am sure he will inform them at the beginning of the cruise.

is there a charge for canapes or a cheese plate delivered to your cabin in the afternoon?

If you are in Concierge Class canapes or a cheese plate is always delivered in the afternoon, otherwise you have to request it at no charge. Food delivered to your cabin is complimentary.

If you are in Concierge Class canapes or a cheese plate is always delivered in the afternoon, otherwise you have to request it at no charge. Food delivered to your cabin is complimentary.

However you have to be in the cabin when they are delivered...they will no leave them in your room if you are not there.

However you have to be in the cabin when they are delivered...they will no leave them in your room if you are not there.

On our Summit cruise we were never in the cabin when they were delivered. We informed our cabin steward that we wanted them and we would return to enjoy them later. They were there every day. So they might not leave them if your not there but you can change that by informing your steward you still want them.

We prefer going up to the buffet 4ish and having their 'tea'. The scones with cream are quite good. Or (and sometimes and) we also enjoy the sushi around 6. Good thing we have late seating or our snack time would be eaten into!!! PI

Love the scones.....they also serve a variety of tasty mini rolls and sandwiches at tea. There are also mini sandwiches at Cafe al Bacio midday but I've read recently that they might be phased out....I hope not.

Afternoon cheese plate in Aqua Class

P1010419_zps38fd5d97.jpg

Cafe al Bacio treats

cfd2dd4e612d0e8d468f6b37fd42ec96.jpg

Love the scones.....they also serve a variety of tasty mini rolls and sandwiches at tea. There are also mini sandwiches at Cafe al Bacio midday but I've read recently that they might be phased out....I hope not.

P1010419_zps38fd5d97.jpg

Cafe al Bacio treats

Library Lady that looks good! Love the pic with the drink too, is it a chocolate martini? And does Celebrity make good ones? Do you know if they use the Godiva liqueur by any chance?

Cute pic of you! And just wanted to stop and say thanks so much for compiling the extremely comprehensive drink list. It's helping us with our planning of our first Celebrity voyage.

I've cut/pasted more info from this thread than any I can remember. Thanks guys for all the sharing! DH would rather be surprised about everything but we planners know the value of knowing the 'lay of the land', especially when for a Med cruise, when you're so tired from 9 hr. excursions all you want to do is grab/order a quick snack and pass out on your balcony for an hour.

197 days till we cruise!!

Liz

Cafe al Bacio treats

i don't recall seeing these but then again mid day to me would be like 1ish? I don't believe we were down there at that time.

They did not have mini-sandwiches at the Café on our 3/17 Silhouette cruise. Nothing but pastries, etc. from open to close.

It must vary from ship to ship. On Summit they had tapas in the late afternoon/early evening.

P1010419_zps38fd5d97.jpg

Cafe al Bacio treats

Your photos are outstanding.

I have a half a dozen photos of the canapes here: http://rlshome.com/blog/?p=3303

These are a sampling of what our butler brought us in a Sky Suite while on Millie, October 2012. I imagine these are the same as what they have for aqua and CC. The selections get quite repetitive on a long cruise. Our butler was quite willing to leave them everyday even if we weren't there.

Around 3 pm the butler comes around with coffee, tea, mini-sandwiches, cookies, and tea cakes. These items all seemed to be available at Cafe al Bacio on Millie.

And yes, I do agree that for the most part a couple of pieces of sushi from the Oceanview Cafe are tastier than the canapes!

I have a half a dozen photos of the canapes here: http://rlshome.com/blog/?p=3303

These are a sampling of what our butler brought us in a Sky Suite while on Millie, October 2012. I imagine these are the same as what they have for aqua and CC. The selections get quite repetitive on a long cruise. Our butler was quite willing to leave them everyday even if we weren't there.

Around 3 pm the butler comes around with coffee, tea, mini-sandwiches, cookies, and tea cakes. These items all seemed to be available at Cafe al Bacio on Millie.

And yes, I do agree that for the most part a couple of pieces of sushi from the Oceanview Cafe are tastier than the canapes!

Thank you...those pics are exactly what I was looking for.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Archived