Viking Chateaux, Rivers & Wine

vcgeno

We are on our way at 7:00 am to Libourne . Blaye was great. The couple we met last evening said the cognac optional trip was well worth the expense. So far this trip is everything I expected. No problems. The food and wine at meals very good. The weather is great. In summation all my fears and concerns were for naught.

Thank you so much for taking to the time to update us. That is very kind of you. I just received the same message yesterday that you did about the itinerary being subject to change so this is welcome news (it may be standard now).

I know change is still possible on our cruise but this is definitely encouraging. Enjoy!

We are on our way at 7:00 am to Libourne . Blaye was great. The couple we met last evening said the cognac optional trip was well worth the expense. So far this trip is everything I expected. No problems. The food and wine at meals very good. The weather is great. In summation all my fears and concerns were for naught.

Great! Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Got "the email" from Viking yesterday regarding conditions on the river. They sent a copy to my husband via our email, and one to me via my travel agent. This was just after I received a call from Viking. Glad they have gotten their act together in Customer Relations and are now working to keep us informed.

We are excited and making last minute arrangements for our departure next week.

Continued happy sailing!

GoPack.....So glad you are enjoying your cruise. What are the plans for Cadillac since they can't get there.

You have certainly allayed many concerns and fears to all of us who have been constantly stalking this thread for your experience.

Rose

GoPack.....So glad you are enjoying your cruise. What are the plans for Cadillac since they can't get there.

You have certainly allayed many concerns and fears to all of us who have been constantly stalking this thread for your experience.

Rose

Not meaning to speak for GoPack, but information given to others of us who talked with Viking in the last few days is that we will be bused to Cadillac from Bordeaux, about a 45 minute drive. We have been assured that we have the same tours we would have had if we had docked in Cadillac.

I notice that you have been on a couple of other Viking Cruises. How were those? I am wondering if the issues are with the cruise line or the itinerary. Thank you.

Our two previous cruises with Viking were excellent. One was the Southern France Avignon-Lyon trip and the other was Amsterdam-Basil. Each were more traditional river cruises than the Bordeaux cruise.

As we all are, I continue to monitor the boards for now. It seems the current cruise is doing better.

To answer another question, our insurance will cover most of the trip expense - enough to make a change if we have to. I hope we don't have to.

tipsygirl....Thank you for that information especially the time travel via bus. Certainly didn't want to sit on a bus for a long trip.

Glad to hear others on this thread had positive cruising experiences with Viking.

Rose

FotoPeg...Thanks for your time in putting that roll call list together. Did you purchase your train tickets thru Rail Europe?

itchyfeet...DH and I are also DIY Paris to Bordeaux traveling. We arrive in Paris the day before and will take an early am TGV train from Montparnasse station to Bordeaux. We also will be traveling with carry ons so fortunately it will be easier navigating through the turnstiles.

id4elizabeth...You must be getting so excited. Thanks for whetting our appetite regarding the cruise info. Can't wait to hear all about your experience.

Rosebud...let's keep in touch re: maybe coordinating the TGV train travel to perhaps share a cab to port. Getting more excited by the day!

Rosebud...let's keep in touch re: maybe coordinating the TGV train travel to perhaps share a cab to port. Getting more excited by the day!

itchyfeet....Are you on the August 30th sailing with us? Did you switch from your original 11/22 sailing? So excited :D to know someone on this roll call sailing with us!!!

I have looked into the TGV trains and travel times.. As you probably know it's still too early to book. But as soon as it opens I will check out the itineraries and let you know. We are also traveling light.

Rose

Roebud....sorry, I read your post wrong and thought you were doing the TGV from Paris for the 11/22 cruise. Please post your "learnings" re: train transport from Paris and cab from station to port. So far, I think I am the only 11/22 cruiser on the boards. As this cruise is late in the season, I will just have to live vicariously thru all the post-cruise posts! Have a good time.

Roebud....sorry, I read your post wrong and thought you were doing the TGV from Paris for the 11/22 cruise. Please post your "learnings" re: train transport from Paris and cab from station to port. So far, I think I am the only 11/22 cruiser on the boards. As this cruise is late in the season, I will just have to live vicariously thru all the post-cruise posts! Have a good time.

itchyfeet....Aww :(... and I was thinking that you switched your sailing. That's ok...at least I had some temporary excitement.

I will indeed post my experiences along the way so others can benefit.

This has been a great thread with many wonderful people passionate about exploring the world and sharing their thoughts and experiences to benefit many.

Rose

Hello All ~ my head is still spinning from all the recent posts - good, bad and ugly!!

We're just past the first anniversary of this thread when vcgeno began by asking about the July heat in France - I'm sure we all wish that was now our only concern!!!!! I still haven't mentioned the March "troubles" to DH or our companions - still hoping and praying the posts/reports/reviews from the cruise continue to be good!

But on to the question about rail from Paris to Bordeaux. We've travel twice on European rail (Venice to Munich & Paris to Chalon-sur-Saone). Both times we purchased our tickets via Eurorail - first time paid for FexEx delivery of tickets; next time was able to print tickets at home. Since we're traveling Oct. 4th its too early to buy tickets now - should be available July 4th! (LOL!!!)

But before you buy via EuroRail - check out this thread on the Ports/Europe/France forum:

French Railroad (SNCF) Money Saving Tip - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Hlitner (Hank) is a regular on CC and always has helpful information! CCers sometimes direct their questions right to him in the title! Its too early to say that this worked for me - but I do intend to try it! I experimented using a false Saturday date and the the train ticket is about 50% of what the cost was on EuroRail - and for the same train!

Fotopeg -

we travel often to France and use the railroads. The SNCF website is the way to go. http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/ (Same for other countries, for example, in Germany, go to http://www.bahn.de/i/view/DEU/en/index.shtml). If at all possible use the "print the ticket" at home option. If it only allows you to get the ticket at the station in France, do it. It is very easy to get your tickets once you are in France. Your ticket confirmation gives you detailed instructions. If you do qualify as a senior (60+), use it. There are significant savings.

Also, check to see if your train is a commuter train - you can tell if there are departures at least twice an hour throughout the day - you can buy tickets at the station. I think Hank's (hlitner) posts have a lot of info on the subject. Please, do not be apprehensive about using the http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/ website or the commuter trains. It works great

And, please, get the credit cards with the chip to use in Europe, They are the easiest. Generally, VISA (Carte Bleu in France) has the widest acceptance, especially if you use then to pay tolls in the French Autoroutes.

Some people have trouble booking the French tickets in the internet because of the credit card safety features. If your card gets denied or you have trouble reserving, call the credit card company and tell them you are making an international reservation so they do not block the transaction.

Edited by marazul

And, please, get the credit cards with the chip to use in Europe, They are the easiest. Generally, VISA (Carte Bleu in France) has the widest acceptance, especially if you use then to pay tolls in the French Autoroutes.

Sadly it is still almost impossible for US residents to get chip AND PIN credit cards. There is one credit union that offers them, but it is not open to the public to join. More and more banks (and Amex) now offer chip AND SIGN credit cards, but these still don't work in European train kiosks.

PS - Please somebody tell me if I'm wrong. We leave in 3 weeks for Istanbul and I would love to have such a card!

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

marazul ~ thanks much for your comments - great to get another recommendation!! And Hank mentioned a German site but couldn't remember the name! He also said tickets could be paid by pay pal - great idea. All 4 fof us are seniors and I fully intend to try the sncf site once we're within the time range! Will report back on how it works!

Host Jazzbeau ~ we have "ordinary" CCs - usually use Capt One or AmEx when traveling. In 2011 we were in Istanbul for 4 days and never had a problem. Things may have changed by now but can only report our experiences. Istanbul was fabulous - have a wonderful time and a safe trip!!!!

Go Pack - where are you? Can't believe we haven't met yet. We're in cabin 324. Would you leave us a message at the reception desk so we can meet up? Would love to get together while we're on board!

I agree with Go Pack - we are having a wonderful time and the trip has been fantastic. Right now we are cruising from Libourne to Bordeaux and had been all morning. Yes - the river trip from Libourne to Cadillac has been cancelled, but they bussed us from Libourne to Sauterne and to Cadillac. the drive through the French countryside was not quite as good as cruising, but was lovely nonetheless. We have had BEAUTIFUL weather all week - mid 70s and total sunshine, which of course will make any trip more enjoyable. We left Bordeaux on schedule the first day and sailed to Pauillac, toured the magnificent Medoc region (by bus of course) and had wonderful wine tastings. Now, set your expectations here - the wine chateaux that you will visit will not be Lafittee Rothschild, or Mounton Rothschild or any of the Grand Crus 1st class estates, but the chateaux you do visit are informative, picturesque and the wine is nice. We did the optional wine tasting tour to Chateau Sirauc in St-Emillion and were charmed by this place. We had an elegantly served lunch and the owner, Paul, was so enthusiastic about his Chateau and his vines that he was infectious. I highly recommend this optional. We did not do the Cognac optional, but have heard that people who did enjoyed it. Only 16 people did the truffle optional, and although they said they had fun, I'm not sure they though it was worth the long bus ride. Some of the guides are better than others - some have heavy French accents. If you can get Christine, she's a British ex-pat and you can totally understand her. The ship is beautiful, but we do have one of the 2-room junior suites (I think it's called a Veranda Suite) and we have PLENTY of space. The food has been great and the wine (according to my husband) has been better than the normal Viking wine. And they've changed it every night and it's all local wine.

All in all we have no complaints. Hang in there folks while Viking works out the kinks! By the way, we were tied up next to the Uniworld ship in Libourne and they are having the same trouble. One thing I will say about them though is that there are only 76 passengers on board as opposed to our 187. And their staff ratio is higher.

One negative about the ship i that at times, it's been too warm in the dining room, and we have only had mid-70s. Hopefully they'll get the AC working better so that those of you coming in Aug will not suffocate - I'm sure they will, I know they've been working on it.

Bye for now

Go Pack - where are you? Can't believe we haven't met yet. We're in cabin 324. Would you leave us a message at the reception desk so we can meet up? Would love to get together while we're on board!

I agree with Go Pack - we are having a wonderful time and the trip has been fantastic. Right now we are cruising from Libourne to Bordeaux and had been all morning. Yes - the river trip from Libourne to Cadillac has been cancelled, but they bussed us from Libourne to Sauterne and to Cadillac. the drive through the French countryside was not quite as good as cruising, but was lovely nonetheless. We have had BEAUTIFUL weather all week - mid 70s and total sunshine, which of course will make any trip more enjoyable. We left Bordeaux on schedule the first day and sailed to Pauillac, toured the magnificent Medoc region (by bus of course) and had wonderful wine tastings. Now, set your expectations here - the wine chateaux that you will visit will not be Lafittee Rothschild, or Mounton Rothschild or any of the Grand Crus 1st class estates, but the chateaux you do visit are informative, picturesque and the wine is nice. We did the optional wine tasting tour to Chateau Sirauc in St-Emillion and were charmed by this place. We had an elegantly served lunch and the owner, Paul, was so enthusiastic about his Chateau and his vines that he was infectious. I highly recommend this optional. We did not do the Cognac optional, but have heard that people who did enjoyed it. Only 16 people did the truffle optional, and although they said they had fun, I'm not sure they though it was worth the long bus ride. Some of the guides are better than others - some have heavy French accents. If you can get Christine, she's a British ex-pat and you can totally understand her. The ship is beautiful, but we do have one of the 2-room junior suites (I think it's called a Veranda Suite) and we have PLENTY of space. The food has been great and the wine (according to my husband) has been better than the normal Viking wine. And they've changed it every night and it's all local wine.

All in all we have no complaints. Hang in there folks while Viking works out the kinks! By the way, we were tied up next to the Uniworld ship in Libourne and they are having the same trouble. One thing I will say about them though is that there are only 76 passengers on board as opposed to our 187. And their staff ratio is higher.

One negative about the ship i that at times, it's been too warm in the dining room, and we have only had mid-70s. Hopefully they'll get the AC working better so that those of you coming in Aug will not suffocate - I'm sure they will, I know they've been working on it.

Bye for now

The first night's dinner at Chateau Kirwan was fabulous, and the tour of the Sauterne Chateau was also great. I bought a half bottle there and have no intension of trying to bring it home - it will be drunk here. We are learning so much about the way the vines are grown and the process of turning grapes into wine - even how the barrels are made.

Another one of the few negatives - don't count on the Concierge to do much for you. We asked him to arrange tours of the wineries in the Medoc on our Friday Bordeaux day that's "on your own". I did this the first day we got on board as I know there are tours run out of the Tourist Office in Bordeaux. He said, no problem, but have not heard a thing from him yes or no, and every time I run into him, he's forgotten and says he'll look into it. So we'll just stay in Bordeaux and do our own thing on that day, which happens to be Good Friday.

The Aquavit Terrace is great and we just had our lunch out there. They have two options for eating - one is the dining room and the other is the Aquavit. At the Aquavit the fare is lighter without the vast selection of the dining room, but the fresh air and scenery is better. It's a very nice option.

The vines here are just starting to sprout, the trees are in spring green, the wisteria is in full bloom, the staff is very helpful and friendly - life just doesn't get any better.

id4elizabeth ~ thank you SO much for your report!!! Sounds like a completely different trip then the ones in March!!

Your description of the optionals is wonderful!! Would enjoy hearing about anyone who takes the tour to Arachon. And hope Paul is still enthaustic in October!!

What tour was Christine the guide for - would like to request her!

And please, continue to hunt down GO Pack and leave my questions until you get home - keep enjoying that trip!!!!

Yea...another foodie. Yes, let's try to connect. We are not extending. Do you see an opportunity for us to take the train to Arcachon during "a day at leisure'? I would like to compare French oysters to Chesapeake oysters. ;)

If given the opportunity to ask during your talk with Steffie today, would you please inquire if the tour to the truffle farm was always going to be 3 hours each way? Merci.

Chesapeake Sailor,

RE Archachon, take a look at the Arcachon tour provided by this company http://www.rendezvousauchateau.com/index.php/en/our-itineraries-wine-tour-bordeaux/arcachon-margaux-chateaux#.U0_X9sZiHFI

Price does not include lunch, but itinerary sounds great, and fairly priced especially if we could get another couple to join us. The restaurant that is identified for the lunch stop has very nice ratings on Trip Advisor. Found their menu online also and looks good.

Check it over and see what you think.

Host Jazzbeau ~ we have "ordinary" CCs - usually use Capt One or AmEx when traveling. In 2011 we were in Istanbul for 4 days and never had a problem. Things may have changed by now but can only report our experiences. Istanbul was fabulous - have a wonderful time and a safe trip!!!!

The only time we had trouble with our "ordinary" CC was at the Marseille train station. The kiosks wouldn't take any of our CCs and the railway employees couldn't understand what was wrong [this was before we discovered Cruise Critic and learned about chip and PIN]. We had to get on the line for the ticket booth, and were only halfway to the window when our train left. I have also read that you need chip and PIN at unattended gas stations, so I hope we can get one before our fly/drive next year.

jazzbeau -

we actually have the chip and sign type, but everyone recommends the chip and pin if you can get it. Yes, you can use the chip and sign widely. My previous comment about Visa (Carte Bleu network in France) is because it is the preferred CC in France. Last year we drove extensively through France and one of the autoroute systems in the West only accepted a Carte Bleu swipe (no pin or signature required) to pay the toll. Otherwise you needed cash. Other than that, our Amex with a chip worked just fine in hotels, shops, etc. A few of the smaller shops wanted either Visa or MC, of course. We never had problems at gas pumps using just the card without the pin, but I cannot generalize about that.

Edited by marazul

The first night's dinner at Chateau Kirwan was fabulous, and the tour of the Sauterne Chateau was also great. I bought a half bottle there and have no intension of trying to bring it home - it will be drunk here. We are learning so much about the way the vines are grown and the process of turning grapes into wine - even how the barrels are made.

Another one of the few negatives - don't count on the Concierge to do much for you. We asked him to arrange tours of the wineries in the Medoc on our Friday Bordeaux day that's "on your own". I did this the first day we got on board as I know there are tours run out of the Tourist Office in Bordeaux. He said, no problem, but have not heard a thing from him yes or no, and every time I run into him, he's forgotten and says he'll look into it. So we'll just stay in Bordeaux and do our own thing on that day, which happens to be Good Friday.

The Aquavit Terrace is great and we just had our lunch out there. They have two options for eating - one is the dining room and the other is the Aquavit. At the Aquavit the fare is lighter without the vast selection of the dining room, but the fresh air and scenery is better. It's a very nice option.

The vines here are just starting to sprout, the trees are in spring green, the wisteria is in full bloom, the staff is very helpful and friendly - life just doesn't get any better.

Thank you so much for both your reports. Can't wait for our trip.

Chesapeake Sailor,

RE Archachon, take a look at the Arcachon tour provided by this company http://www.rendezvousauchateau.com/index.php/en/our-itineraries-wine-tour-bordeaux/arcachon-margaux-chateaux#.U0_X9sZiHFI

Price does not include lunch, but itinerary sounds great, and fairly priced especially if we could get another couple to join us. The restaurant that is identified for the lunch stop has very nice ratings on Trip Advisor. Found their menu online also and looks good.

Check it over and see what you think.

It is getting close now...we depart a week from tomorrow! When are you leaving? Thanks for the link. The trip to Archacon does sound wonderful.

What day were you thinking of going? Hopefully, we can go together.

Stay in touch...I am getting excited again.

Thank you to id4elizabeth for the latest report.