Viking Chateaux, Rivers & Wine

vcgeno

It is getting close now...we depart a week from tomorrow! When are you leaving? Thanks for the link. The trip to Archacon does sound wonderful.

What day were you thinking of going? Hopefully, we can go together.

Stay in touch...I am getting excited again.

Thank you to id4elizabeth for the latest report.

ChesapeakeSailor,

We leave next Tuesday.

Was thinking either Thursday the 1st of Friday the 2nd for the tour, but I do want to do the arket tour on the 2nd. May not be offered on the 1st due to the holiday. I may send an email and see what I can find out.

We are getting excited also!

It is getting close now...we depart a week from tomorrow! When are you leaving? Thanks for the link. The trip to Archacon does sound wonderful.

What day were you thinking of going? Hopefully, we can go together.

Stay in touch...I am getting excited again.

Thank you to id4elizabeth for the latest report.

I got an email back from the Arcachon tour guide. He could do the tour on May 1. I didn't as about the 2nd. There is an additional 10 euros for the oyster tasting and 5 to 9 euros for the wine tasting. I emailed back that we were still organizing and would try to get back to him late next week. Gives us some time to think it over and check out other options

Trains are impossible if you're trying to pay with a US credit card; we were in Marseilles a few weeks ago, heading to Avignon to meet our Viking River cruise, and couldn't get the machines to work at all. But the reps were able to process the charge.... We just had to stand in line for a few minutes. I've had the same issues in England, come to think of it (it works with humans but not with machines).

Just give yourself a little extra time (or get a chip card, which is on my list).

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

The only time we had trouble with our "ordinary" CC was at the Marseille train station. The kiosks wouldn't take any of our CCs and the railway employees couldn't understand what was wrong [this was before we discovered Cruise Critic and learned about chip and PIN]. We had to get on the line for the ticket booth, and were only halfway to the window when our train left. I have also read that you need chip and PIN at unattended gas stations, so I hope we can get one before our fly/drive next year.

Thanks, Notamermaid, for the info -- very helpful. I was thinking of the older ship, not aware that Croisi had a new ship in the market!

We're really intrigued by CroisiEurope. It's a real pathfinder among river lines especially in France; next year it's planning to introduce an all-new itinerary, in the Loire, and is building a paddlewheeler to handle the very shallow waters!

Carolyn

Carolyn editor@cruisecritic wrote:

"To set the record straight, CroisiEurope, a France-based river cruise line that generally operates older, smaller ships, is the only one to offer this itinerary until this year. So it's new for everyone."

So I looked this up:

CroisiEurope operates two ships around Bordeaux, Viking one. The dimensions are

Viking Forseti built in 2013: 135 m, 11.45 m, 2.00 draught

CroisiEurope Princesse d' Aquitaine built in 2001: 110 m, 11.40 m, draught not known to me

CroisiEurope Cyrano de Bergerac built in 2013: 110 m, 11.40 m, draught 1.60 m.

notamermaid

tipsygirl ~ we don't sail until October, but I'm very, very interested in Arcachon. I'd love to hear any comments about Viking's trip, especially the restaurant they go to - so hope some people on your cruise take the opt tour and talk about it and you might be able to report back!

I've also found small group tours - CityDiscovery $92 or Viator $91 - but neither stop for a meal.

The site you sent is very interesting - are you planning on going to both Arachon and also the Margaux Vineyards? Just wondering if we'd be tired of the vineyards by then! Can't wait to hear your comments about the tour - might be the way to do it, especially since its us + another couple!

Have a wonderful cruise - hope it's as smooth as the one now!!!

Haven't heard back from the folks on the Arcachon tour - they haven't come back yet. You'll have half a day in Bordeaux town with a Viking guided tour by combination of bus and walking on your second to last day at the end of your trip, then a full day on your own. We just got back from spending the day in Bordeaux on our own, and there's plenty to do in Bordeaux itself. We saw two wonderful churches (St-Andre and St-Michel), and the Musee de Aquitaine, which was very well done. We could have easily spent half a day in this Museum alone. There are also a Fine Arts Museum and a Decorative Arts Museum. There are also beautiful gardens here.

We were not able to do this, but from June through September you can arrange a tour of the inside of the Grand Theater / Opera House which is supposed to be spectacular. The Viking tour takes you there, but only the outside. However, I would arrange this on your own and not expect much from the conceirge on board! There are also many, many wine shops, if you still want more wine. And plenty of other shops as well. A FANTASTIC chocolate shop kathy-corner from the Grand Theater.

One other thing about Bordeaux is that they have a fabulous ultra modern tram system that takes you all over the city very cheaply and easily. The nearest tram stop to the ship is literally out the front door. It goes to all the sights in the city - no need for extensive walking nor taking taxis everywhere. These trams are GREAT!

Time to start packing for the next leg in our journey :-(

I want to thank everyone for the updates and reviews. I have been a little nervous as well seeing the horrible reviews but it has been great to see that the kinks are being worked out. Love you all sharing all the details and pros and cons!

Itchyfeetx2 - we will also be on the 11/22 sailing!

Host Jazzbeau - last year we went to Italy and my cc company sent us new cards right away with the chip. Have you tried contacting them to request? (I am sure you have but just asking). We have an American Airlines Citicard and they offer in case maybe you would like to open on to get the chip. We had no problems using our card throughout Italy and stops in Dusseldorf and London.

Host Jazzbeau - last year we went to Italy and my cc company sent us new cards right away with the chip. Have you tried contacting them to request? (I am sure you have but just asking). We have an American Airlines Citicard and they offer in case maybe you would like to open on to get the chip. We had no problems using our card throughout Italy and stops in Dusseldorf and London.

I have some US-issued cards with a chip, but this is still not Chip and PIN. It is Chip and Sign -- works fine if there is a clerk who can take your signature, but not in kiosks.

ChesapeakeSailor,

We leave next Tuesday.

Was thinking either Thursday the 1st of Friday the 2nd for the tour, but I do want to do the arket tour on the 2nd. May not be offered on the 1st due to the holiday. I may send an email and see what I can find out.

We are getting excited also!

ChesapeakeSailor,

I have been doing some more checking on Arcachon by train. Round trip is $34 Economy and $50 first class. The train station is in the center of town with a bus to the dunes nearby and the ferry to Cap Ferrat a short walk away. We were a little put of by the tour guide for Arcachon not including the oyster and wine tastings. Seemed rather petty since the tour cost is not small. We think we will take our euros and have a great lunch on our own in Arcachon or Cap Ferrat and taste the oysters at lunch. Probably will go on May 1 since we will already have toured Bordeaux for 3 days before the cruise.

This is a link that shows a map of Arcachon with the train station location noted, plus info on the ferry and bus mentioned above.

http://www.raildude.com/en/arcachon-railway-station/arcachon/station/12368/319

This is a link to the train schedule.

http://www.raileurope.com/us/point_to_point/ptp_results.htm?execution=e1s21&resultId=86788131

Trains go to and from almost every hour. Time is a little over 50 minutes.

Thanks all for the info posted. It's good to see things seem to be getting better. We are so looking forward to our trip, our first river cruise. Can anyone tell me what time final debarkation is at? Looking forward to the updates from this week's sailing.

Le bon vin ~ WELCOME to CC!!!!! and to the Chateaux, Rivers, & Wine thread! Your name is just perfect for this trip - at least I hope we'll be enjoying some good wine while in Bordeaux!!!

As for final debarkation - all depends on your post-cruise plans ~ i.e. plane home (or someplace else) or train or hotel if you're staying over in Bordeaux. If you've made your air reservations through Viking then they'll tell you what time the bus will be leaving. If you've make your own reservations then the CD will talk to you about transportation - if you have made plans or if you want him.her to call a taxi.

Our Rhone River cruise ended in Avignon and we were staying over in a hotel 2 nights. The CD asked if we wanted then to calla cab for us and I thought - ugh they'll be throwing us off the ship at 6am! But a pleasant surprise, when I told him fine he should arrange for a cab for us he asked if 10am would be OK - WOW! we got to sleep, have a nice bk and then stroll of the ship! And he also told us how much the fare would be - nice to know ahead of time!!

Hope you enjoy your RC half as much as we have in the past!!!!

Time for an update:

April 12, 2014 ~ id4elizabeth

April 12, 2014 ~ Go Pack

April 26, 2014 ~ tipsygirl

April 26, 2014 ~ ChesapeakeSailor

May 17, 2014 ~ kidfixer: Linda

May 24, 2014 ~ MalibooNewYork Theresa

May 31, 2014 ~ ABQcruiser

June 28, 2014 ~ Le bon vin

July 12, 2014 ~ vcgeno

July 12, 2014 ~ SueFrankuk

July 19, 2014 ~ loge23

Aug. 16, 2014 ~ lovetocruise17

Aug. 23, 2014 ~ MABoat

Aug. 30, 2014 ~ roebud; Rose & Gary

Sept. 6, 2014 ~ indianrider

Sept 13, 2014 ~ smokinmike

Sept. 20, 2014 ~ zmjh45

Sept. 27, 2014 ~ parkie

Oct. 4, 2014 ~ FotoPeg: John & Peg, Tony & Linda

Nov. 1, 2014 ~ Laffey724

Nov. 22, 2014 ~ itchyfeetx2

Nov. 22, 2014 ~ sable16

ChesapeakeSailor,

I have been doing some more checking on Arcachon by train. Round trip is $34 Economy and $50 first class. The train station is in the center of town with a bus to the dunes nearby and the ferry to Cap Ferrat a short walk away. We were a little put of by the tour guide for Arcachon not including the oyster and wine tastings. Seemed rather petty since the tour cost is not small. We think we will take our euros and have a great lunch on our own in Arcachon or Cap Ferrat and taste the oysters at lunch. Probably will go on May 1 since we will already have toured Bordeaux for 3 days before the cruise.

This is a link that shows a map of Arcachon with the train station location noted, plus info on the ferry and bus mentioned above.

http://www.raileurope.com/us/point_to_point/ptp_results.htm?execution=e1s21&resultId=86788131

Great tip - thanks! Sounds like a good trip for the free day in Bordeaux.

ChesapeakeSailor,

Tipsygirl,

Thanks for the info. I am also checking on a tour to the lighthouse on the Ile de Patiras which includes a gourmet lunch with regional food. Uniworld offers this as an optional tour.

Let's make sure we find each other on board and swap notes.

Bon Voyage!

Hi, FotoPeg, can you add me? I'm cruising on May 10 :)

Thanks.

Carolyn

Time for an update:

April 12, 2014 ~ Go Pack

July 12, 2014 ~ vcgeno

July 19, 2014 ~ loge23

Aug. 23, 2014 ~ MABoat

Sept. 20, 2014 ~ zmjh45

Sept. 27, 2014 ~ parkie

Nov. 1, 2014 ~ Laffey724

Nov. 22, 2014 ~ sable16

Latest update:

April 12, 2014 ~ Go Pack

May 10, 2014 ~ editor@cruisecritic: Carolyn

July 12, 2014 ~ vcgeno

July 19, 2014 ~ loge23

Aug. 23, 2014 ~ MABoat

Sept. 20, 2014 ~ zmjh45

Sept. 27, 2014 ~ parkie

Nov. 1, 2014 ~ Laffey724

Nov. 22, 2014 ~ sable16

My wife and I just returned from the 12 April cruise and thought I would make a few additional comments to what others have offered.

Regarding the "bridge issue" which prevents sailing to Cadillac, the Captain told me that they need government authorization to sail under the Pont de Pierre in Bordeaux since it's a World Heritage site. He said they had requested authorization some time ago and continue to check with the govt. every week.

Overall, although we enjoyed the cruise, I liked my other four Viking cruises better. I thought the food was OK but not as good as the other cruises (especially the Southern France cruise - oo-la-la). In general, the upper management was not top notch. Regarding local guides, all but one of our guides were primarily English speakers who have settled in the Bordeaux area. One guide told us that Viking especially looks for such guides. One other issue which has not been brought up is that on our last full day in Bordeaux, the ship left the dock from 9:30 to 2:30 to refuel. They did offer a free shuttle into Bordeaux but since we left the ship before 9:30 so didn't need to use it, but it seems to me that Viking should somehow arrange this so that it doesn't impact our free time.

By the way, I thought Bordeaux was the highlight of the cruise. The included tour was excellent and we enjoyed the next day on our own. A lot of good stuff to see.

Finally, we took the Loire Valley pre-cruise extension and thought that was very good (except for the terrible dinner Viking arranged at our hotel in Tours). The chateaux were great, the several medium sized towns we stopped at were very nice, and our (French) guide was very good. We had dinner at l'Arome in Tours and it was excellent.

Paul

This needing "special permission" is a whole new wrinkle that has not come to light before this!?!? Thought this was about construction going on with the bridge and now it seems it's a missing permit?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

PaulWheeler ~ thanks SO much for your comments - even if I'm not thrilled with the idea of "not as good as" food - ugh!!! Hope there's an improvement before October!!

A few questions if you don't mind.

How was dinner at Chateau Kirwin?

Did you - or anyone you spoke to - take any optional tours? If so how were they? (especially Cognac & Chateau Siaurac & Arcachon!)

Thanks for any more info you can give us!!

The Cadillac Bridge is certainly interesting! I guess a lot easier to blame the hiccup on "bridge repair" then admit that paperwork might not have been filed in time! But surprised a Captain would report that - wonder what else has been "covered over"!!! It's such a shame, but I go back to my original thought - like a lot of companies Viking seems to have bitten off more than they can chew! New ship - new itinerary - new crew - and lots of problems!! Such a shame!!!

My wife and I just returned from the 12 April cruise and thought I would make a few additional comments to what others have offered.

Regarding the "bridge issue" which prevents sailing to Cadillac, the Captain told me that they need government authorization to sail under the Pont de Pierre in Bordeaux since it's a World Heritage site. He said they had requested authorization some time ago and continue to check with the govt. every week.

Overall, although we enjoyed the cruise, I liked my other four Viking cruises better. I thought the food was OK but not as good as the other cruises (especially the Southern France cruise - oo-la-la). In general, the upper management was not top notch. Regarding local guides, all but one of our guides were primarily English speakers who have settled in the Bordeaux area. One guide told us that Viking especially looks for such guides. One other issue which has not been brought up is that on our last full day in Bordeaux, the ship left the dock from 9:30 to 2:30 to refuel. They did offer a free shuttle into Bordeaux but since we left the ship before 9:30 so didn't need to use it, but it seems to me that Viking should somehow arrange this so that it doesn't impact our free time.

By the way, I thought Bordeaux was the highlight of the cruise. The included tour was excellent and we enjoyed the next day on our own. A lot of good stuff to see.

Finally, we took the Loire Valley pre-cruise extension and thought that was very good (except for the terrible dinner Viking arranged at our hotel in Tours). The chateaux were great, the several medium sized towns we stopped at were very nice, and our (French) guide was very good. We had dinner at l'Arome in Tours and it was excellent.

Paul

Thank you for your comments Paul. We too are taking the Loire pre-cruise. Any insights that you can offer about that excursion are appreciated. I see that we have one dinner provided at the hotel in Tours. Why so bad? Bad enough to skip and do our own thing? That works for me anyway! Thanks again for your post.

This needing "special permission" is a whole new wrinkle that has not come to light before this!?!? Thought this was about construction going on with the bridge and now it seems it's a missing permit?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Would be interested to know if any other cruise boats are cruising under the bridge :confused:

Paul

Thanks Paul,

Did you use the ship's computers? I have heard they can be very slow if they work at all. How about cell phone reception? Merci.

Here are answers to some of your questions:

The dinner at Chateau Kirwin was very nice. The food was good and, as mentioned earlier, there was a different wine offered for each course (soup, salad, veal tenderloin and dessert). And, a nice touch, was the owner providing a description of the wine before each course.

We didn't take any optional tours because of the time involved & the cost, and because we would have missed other included tours or free time which we preferred. The only optional tour I heard about was the truffle tour, which the people enjoyed and which seemed to include some caves in the Perigord region.

Actually, the dinner in Tours was a surprise since it wasn't included in our itinerary. The major problem was a fatty, grizzly, veal. We were told by our guide that an earlier group had salmon but it was changed after some complaints. Regarding restaurants, the best nearby restaurant seems to be Bistrot de la Tranchee, but it was full on Friday.

No special insights on the pre-cruise Loire Valley. All three mid-days included a stop at a nice town with a walking tour and some free time. On the second afternoon, they offered the option to be dropped off in the Tours city center rather than continue to the hotel (the hotel is about a mile from the city center).

I did use the ship's computers. At first, I couldn't get them to work, but eventually, they fixed the problem, so that I could check my e-mail. They were slow but OK. We didn't use our cell phones.

Paul