Packing cubes heys or ebags?

My sister gave us a set of ebags several years ago. I had never heard of them. They have gotten a lot of use since then as we take them on every trip, cruise or otherwise and regardless of length. They are so handy that my hubby got himself a set of Rick Steves last time we were visiting our daughter. The large one of those isn't as large as the large ebag, but it's the perfect size to pop into a pocket of his small rolling carryon. His set came with two smaller ones as well. He is now using the small ones for small clothing (socks and undies, etc.) and "this and that " We put a full change of clothes, including swimsuits and nightshirts, into his large one and then he doesn't have to hunt through clothes to find his personal items. This way we know we're all set if our checked bags are delayed. I used the small ebag last time for our combined meds and personal items. Again very handy to not have to sort through my bag trying to find something.

beachchick

Thank you for the coupon code. I'm going to order the the 3 piece set (sm/med/lg) and I'm deciding between a set of medium or a set of slims. Any thoughts? I'm packing for an eleven night Alaska cruise tour. I think the Ebags will come in handy during the tour part where we change hotels every night.

We use the folders for shirts, blouses and pants, and the cubes for underwear, socks, PJs, etc. We have a garment bag combo carry-on, and we put the hanging clothes in the garment bag section. And usually a packing cube w/ underwear as well as a folder in the main section. We also measured the space between the rods in our suitcases, and place a packing cube between them. Right now, our carry-on has insect bandanas in it!

The other carry-on has two packing cubes. These contain odds and ends. Vitamins, metamucil, adapters, alarm clocks, etc. A lot of the things in these two packing cubes used to be in smaller ziplocs in our suitcase, and if security decided to empty out the suitcase, we had trouble making everything fit again. But with odds and ends in cubes, it's much easier to repack. Before, security would give me back my bag, and the contents in one of their luggage trays.

We also keep our medicine, travel documents, cameras in our accessory bags. That way if we must gate check them, we still have the valuables with us.

Thank you for the coupon code. I'm going to order the the 3 piece set (sm/med/lg) and I'm deciding between a set of medium or a set of slims. Any thoughts? I'm packing for an eleven night Alaska cruise tour. I think the Ebags will come in handy during the tour part where we change hotels every night.

If you're considering the slims, there's a Value Set that has the small, medium, and large cubes with a set of three slims for $34 and change (after the discount). That's the set I got and the added on the pack-it-flat toiletry bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This thread has me obsessed with getting some packing cubes... Have searched all around and of course can't find them in stores... not really sure if I NEED them but feel the need to HAVE them ;)

How is ebags for shipping? Prompt? Leaving in 29 days and I'm in Canada so might be cutting it close :(. I do like the $$ on that ikea set... Who would have thought they would have them!

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

Another Canuck here. IKEA has packing cubes? Who knew? Thanks for the headsup. ;)

I'm thinking of using one cube for each complete outfit. Does this make sense?

I've been considering packing cubes for months, but haven't bit the bullet, but I'm thinking I should just do it! How many packing cubes should I get for myself, hubby, and DD11? We're going on a 7 night cruise. Should I get one multiple sized set for each of us and a set of slims?

I've been considering packing cubes for months, but haven't bit the bullet, but I'm thinking I should just do it! How many packing cubes should I get for myself, hubby, and DD11? We're going on a 7 night cruise. Should I get one multiple sized set for each of us and a set of slims?

I think that sounds pretty reasonable. That would give each of you a S, M, and L plus one slim. That should be plenty for a 7 day trip. On the multi sets, be sure to order each set in a different color. That makes it so much quicker to tell everyone's stuff apart even in you share suitcases.

Thanks! I should have mentioned we're doing an additional 2-days pre-cruise in Ft. Lauderdale. Will we still have enough room?

Yes, I think you should still be fine. I've heard of folks packing for 10-day trips in just a carry-on using the multi set. I have a large Heys cube and can easily roll and pack 8-10 shirts in it.

Just a suggestion - when packing put half of your clothes in one suitcase the the other half of your clothes in another suitcase. Make sure that your shoes go in the correct suitcase with the clothes you are wearing them with.

We flew direct from Boston to San Juan for a cruise. One bag went to San Juan and the other bag went to Shanghai .... thank goodness I had cross packed. We left on a Saturday and didn't get the suitcase back until Friday. Just in time to put it in the hallway to come back home. Jan

If you're considering the slims, there's a Value Set that has the small, medium, and large cubes with a set of three slims for $34 and change (after the discount). That's the set I got and the added on the pack-it-flat toiletry bag.

I'm trying to decide between a set of three sm/med/lg cubes along with a set of three slims or the set of sm/med/lg along with a set of medium. It's hard to visualize the size. I want to be able to pack shirts and pants in them. Are the slims big enough for that?

I'm also trying to decide between the slim toiletry kit and LL Bean's medium toiletry kit. Anyone have any experience with both of these products?

For those of you up in Canada, try going to your local MEC store. It's an outdoor equipment co-op, like REI in the US. I believe you can find some cubes and such there. In the US, the cubes and folders are readily available at REI, in both the Eagle Creek flavors (various types of fabric used). Also try hitting up a luggage store and see what they have.

I checked ikea canada and did not see any packing cubes. Be careful they are not discussing the .com US website.

Also, the discounts do not work for the eagle creek products. I found out when trying to use it for the pack-it spectre folder. But my daughter recently signed up for e-rewards and they sent her a $10 off coupon that worked.

So we ordered the 3 pack ebag slim packing cubes (grasshopper green) and 1 eagle creek pack-it spectre folder (white)(they are lighter than the regular eagle creek folders).

This is in addition to the 2 x 3 packs of ebag packing cubes. (one in navy and one in aquamarine)

The family has alot of seperate trips this year and next. DD going in May 16 days to Italy - and then hubby and I go to an all inclusive in June and a southern caribbean cruise next Feb. for a week.

I figure we will have the cube/folder packing down pat by the second trip and then wonder how we ever packed before them!

You should also try ebay - I got a set (3) of brand new packing cubes (rick steeves I believe?) for about $20. I find ebags are good - but those shipping and customs duties tagged on for Canadian shipments makes it a bit pricey!

In our case we have our DD BF in the US for school who comes home regularly so we send things to him.

Otherwise we would have purchased the items from shopping channel (heys) or ebay.

We looked at the rick steeves but the sizes where not to our liking and the idea of total mesh, albeit the weight is significantly less, we prefer some enclosure on sides and bottom - especially with our DD putting them in hotel drawers every 3 days on her trip to italy.

If you were always just going to pack and unpack once there - then the rick steeves would be great.

But to each his own!

I'm also trying to decide between the slim toiletry kit and LL Bean's medium toiletry kit. Anyone have any experience with both of these products?

I haven't tried the ebags toiletry kit, but I LOVE my LL Bean medium toiletry kit. I took it along with 2 ebags shoe bags and a set of 3 ebags medium cubes on my last cruise, which was just perfect.

I got hooked on packing cubes last year. I have eagle creek plus one small cube from some other brand that I got at the container store. I have 3 full cubes, 2 regular and 1 spectre. Although the spectre is lighter, i find the regular eagle creek cubes easier to pack, and then remve what I want. Use usually one for me, one for hubby. Put mostly tshirt or knit tops or lghtweight sweaters. You can either roll or fold items. 2 full cubes fit perfectly in my 22 inch suitcase. When going away for a weekend, we just share the carryon, 1 cube fo rhim, 1 for me, other clothes like pants or skirts go on top.

For europe last year, i used one full cube put it crosswise in 22 inch suitcase, 1 smaller cube and shoes and some other misc stuff to make a base layer. Then put pants, jacket, dressier clother layered in dry cleaner bags.

Use the small spectre cubes for our medications- his in orange, mine in white, makes it easy to grab right bag out of the tote. Also use a small cube to corral all the chargers, cords, extra camera battery.

I tried a 18 inch folder, but felt it didnt work well in the 22 inch suitcase. Think maybe 15 inch would work better.

On the way home, sometimes use one cube for clean, one for dirty .

This is new to me. I don't really get how you could pack MORE in cubes. Can someone explain how having another "suitcase" within a suitcase would create more space? It seems logical to me that the less layers you pack, the more room you have but maybe I just don't understand these cubes. If they really do work, I want to buy some!

For those of you up in Canada, try going to your local MEC store. It's an outdoor equipment co-op, like REI in the US. I believe you can find some cubes and such there. In the US, the cubes and folders are readily available at REI, in both the Eagle Creek flavors (various types of fabric used). Also try hitting up a luggage store and see what they have.

MEC has free shipping on this week as well - pricing on their cubes is reasonable compared to ebags once you add on all the "international" customer stuff.

I also ordered from MEC tonight - a few Nalgene water bottles (30, 60 and 125ml sizes) with a patented leakproof lid... sick and tired of buying travel bottles and them oozing or blatantly leaking so hopefully these will stand the test of a 17 hr flight to Hawaii lol Also picked up a new Platypus water bottle... we wont say what that's for ;)

I picked up a LLBean medium travel bag a month or so ago on sale for $18.99 - comes in under the wire for Canadians for duty and taxes :) I wasn't sure with the sizing what i'd need for a longer trip (17 days) but the medium should hold everything without a problem.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/WaterBottles/PRD~1601-178/nalgene-wide-mouth-hdpe-water-bottle.jsp

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/WaterBottles/PRD~5024-134/platypus-soft-bottle.jsp

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Travel/TravelPouchesPackingOrganizers/PRD~5027-294/onsight-clothes-box.jsp

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Travel/TravelPouchesPackingOrganizers/PRD~5031-035/innate-ventile-compartments.jsp

One - you can take them out of your luggage and put them right in the drawers without having to worry about how sanitary the drawers are.

Two - if you are doing a multi stop trip it keeps your clothes together and organized better than in a large suitcase

three- packing cubes keep the items from rubbing together as much in your suitcase - it is this friction that creates those nasty wrinkles

skoeper wrote, "I don't really get how you could pack MORE in cubes. Can someone explain how having another "suitcase" within a suitcase would create more space?"

This was the argument I used to talk myself out of buying them for the last year but after reading this thread I think may have to try them.

Love these, also. I have 2 sets. They are also very useful for storing items at home that you don't use much. Example, we only need swim attire on cruises. I store ours in a medium cube and that portion of packing for my cruise is already done. Great for linens, out-of-season things (llike leggings, sweaters, long sleeve shirts, etc). Also, I have several shapewear items I don't need very often....store those in a packing cube on a shelf in the closet also.

Archived