Luggage Tags - is this for real???

ive always folded it as said and then stapled it together with a single staple at the end.

its been fine. in fact a loit of times the old sticky ones would get ripped just trying to separate them from the ones adjacent, or removing the backing.

it amazes me the outrage this seems to cause on a regualr basis oon CC:

Piece of p[aper you fold to 5 LAYERS THICK and staple together = "this isnt strong enough, must buiy a holder, or laminate it etc"

flimsy bit of sticky paper 1 layer thick sent from RCI = good old days of super strong tags

:confused:

I’ve had better luck with the print at home tags than I did with the previous pre printed tags. Once you properly fold them and staple them I’ve found them to be stronger than the old tags… Plus you can print and put as many tags as you’d like on your luggage if you’re extra paranoid.

Think of all the forests your killing when people print their own.

So the sticky ones killed less forests? Especially when everyone got more tags than they needed?

Wow. Never knew that :eek:

Whenever I see someone complaining that a cruise line does not send them luggage tags in advance, I wonder if they also complain that the airline does not send them luggage tags in advance.

Guess we are just among those who have never had even the slightest desire to bother with making our own luggage tags, either for a flight or for a cruise. :D

Or, they do sell luggage tag holders. Amazon has them as well as here on CC. There used to be a post with the best prices/brands but that was a while ago :rolleyes:.

I bought some from Cruise Critics thinking that if I have their name on my luggage, maybe they'll be nicer to them. LOL! Silly, I know. :D

I called the C&A D+ desk, since I could not find the place to request having the luggage tags sent to us (since RCI stopped sending out the cruise documents years ago), and I learned that we now are supposed to print out a piece of paper, fold it down, "reinforce it with tape" and find a way to adhere it to the luggage? That is just asking/begging for tags to become ripped off and end up who knows where...We don't sail until June, so our luggage tags aren't ready yet. But what are people doing to try to keep the tags as strong as possible? I think I have a few sheets of self-lamination laying around...I just CANNOT BELIEVE that RCI is doing luggage tags this way.

Any hints/tips/info would be appreciated

If receiving luggage tags is that important to you you can either:

A. Book a suite

B. Become Pinnacle

C. Pay $35.00

Man THis blows I miss gettignt he packets in the mail, so on top of them raising there prices and cutting more thigns out , tot he OP RCCL forgets that its the little things, I reember a while back people wer eoutraged that theys toped getting chocolate sunder the pillows, what RCCL forgets is that the little things matter so much to us who pay a hefty price for this vacation. Heres to hoping this goes back tot he way it was, just like how we brought back the chocolates on the pillows, never stop voicing your opnion it works. there listening.

I always used to laminate the printed luggage tags before stapling them together round the suitcase handless. However, I recently bought the clear plastic holders to put the luggage labels in and they are brilliant, can definitely recommend them.

I am a belts and braces person, so I also make two of my own labels up, print them and laminate them. i put my name, the ship and cabin number and my cell phone number on it. So if my case goes astray it can be easily identified. I punch a hole in them and then affix them with electric cable ties - we love the coloured ones from Home Depot, always buy a pack to take home across the pond.

I also print out my details on a sheet to put inside the suitcase, just in case it gets lost. Having had suitcases go astray on flights across the Atlantic I always make sure they are well labelled, and have my cell phone number on them.

I had no problem with the luggage tags at all. I printed only as many as I needed, followed their directions about folding them (which does make them pretty sturdy) and just put a couple of extra staples in them. I didn't feel the need to laminate them in any way, and there was no problem.

I called the C&A D+ desk, since I could not find the place to request having the luggage tags sent to us (since RCI stopped sending out the cruise documents years ago), and I learned that we now are supposed to print out a piece of paper, fold it down, "reinforce it with tape" and find a way to adhere it to the luggage? That is just asking/begging for tags to become ripped off and end up who knows where...We don't sail until June, so our luggage tags aren't ready yet. But what are people doing to try to keep the tags as strong as possible? I think I have a few sheets of self-lamination laying around...I just CANNOT BELIEVE that RCI is doing luggage tags this way.

Any hints/tips/info would be appreciated

I bought a roll of packing tape and just laminate the tag with it. I tape the end once I have it on the luggage. So far it's worked fine.

Thanks to everyone for the "how-to" information. I enjoy getting to book shows and restaurants (though don't get my started about MyTime Dining limitations) before the cruise! I just didn't realize that we would be creating our own luggage tags. I don't mind doing it, but I just really questioned whether the tags truly were sturdy enough. However, from what I'm hearing, it seems like sturdiness just is not an issue, which makes me relieved.

Thanks to everyone for the "how-to" information. I enjoy getting to book shows and restaurants (though don't get my started about MyTime Dining limitations) before the cruise! I just didn't realize that we would be creating our own luggage tags. I don't mind doing it, but I just really questioned whether the tags truly were sturdy enough. However, from what I'm hearing, it seems like sturdiness just is not an issue, which makes me relieved.

I also think it's just exciting getting your luggage tags in the mail. It's a symbol that YOU'RE GOING ON YOUR CUISE SOON!!!:D:D

The back page of your Set Sail Pass has the info you need.

Show it to the porter at the pier, and he will apply a tag, mark the correct spot on the grid, and write in your room number.

Free (other than the $1/bag tip I would have given the porter anyway) and easy and quick! This is exactly what I did last weekend as I arrived in NOLA to board the Navigator.

[quote name='Sinppu']So the sticky ones killed less forests? Especially when everyone got more tags than they needed?
Wow. Never knew that :eek:[/quote]

Is this a math skills challenge? :D Eight preprinted tags on one sheet of paper vs. one tag per sheet of printer paper. It wasn't meant to be serious but do the math. ;)

[quote name='lawyerboy5555']I called the C&A D+ desk, since I could not find the place to request having the luggage tags sent to us (since RCI stopped sending out the cruise documents years ago), and I learned that we now are supposed to print out a piece of paper, fold it down, "reinforce it with tape" and find a way to adhere it to the luggage? That is just asking/begging for tags to become ripped off and end up who knows where...We don't sail until June, so our luggage tags aren't ready yet. But what are people doing to try to keep the tags as strong as possible? I think I have a few sheets of self-lamination laying around...I just CANNOT BELIEVE that RCI is doing luggage tags this way.

Any hints/tips/info would be appreciated[/quote]

Porters have blank luggage tags at check-in. I printed my tags, folded them, secured with small binder clips I brought from home (actually stole from work) and that's it.

I don't care to make luggage tags a full art project, this is ridiculous!

[quote name='SeaUs']I can tell minutes are very valuable to you[/quote]
[B]Sarcasim not necessary :mad:....Perhaps you don't cruise enough to have seen the porters recently at many ports overwhelmed by large groups of people needing luggage tags..We just wait our turn, but this has definately made an impact and slowed the process from the way it has been for many years.[/B]

[quote name='SPDBigG']Is this a math skills challenge? :D Eight preprinted tags on one sheet of paper vs. one tag per sheet of printer paper. It wasn't meant to be serious but do the math. ;)[/quote]
for a start, the printed tags you used to get were not on paper although the envelope mailed in was

My goodness, talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill. The printed paper tags are not difficult. Yes some people make an arts and crafts project out of the printed tags. I print them, fold them as directed, and use some scotch tape around the ends and have never had any problems at all. Or as others have said the porters will tag them for you when you get to the pier. Takes seconds and does not slow down the flow of traffic. Get over it people.

Last cruise was the first with self-printed tags. We used no holders or packing tape. Just folded and stapled. No problems. I did miss the excitement of the arrival of the tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

[quote name='SPDBigG']
Almost forgot my narcissistic gratuitous whine: Bring back the luggage tags. Think of all the forests your killing when people print their own. Thank you. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.[/quote]

[quote name='Sinppu']So the sticky ones killed less forests? Especially when everyone got more tags than they needed?
Wow. Never knew that :eek:[/quote]

[quote name='SeaUs']for a start, the printed tags you used to get were not on paper although the envelope mailed in was[/quote]

Are we really going to dissect a comment that was made in jest? OK, I'll play. One envelope vs. one tag per sheet of printer paper times how many tags. Talk about a joke going awry. :rolleyes:

Archived