Questions on Oceania

Oceanbabyblue

Considering taking Oceania (probably Marina or Riviera) for the first time. Does anyone know on the followings:

1. For the pre-paid gratuities, does it include tips dining at the specialty restaurants? Or limited to the Grand Dining Room?

2. On Oceania's stateroom TV system, are there movies available to watch? Can we choose which movie to watch?

3. Do we need to pay extra for renting movies at the library?

4. Is there any ballroon dance class? Are they taught by professionals? Do we need to pay extra?

5. Is there any yoga/ fitness class during the day? Do we need to pay extra?

6. How much is the hands-on cooking class?

Thank you very much.

I have to admit that as a long-term O passenger I'm somewhat stumped by your questions, but I'll give my input.

Considering taking Oceania (probably Marina or Riviera) for the first time. Does anyone know on the followings:

1. For the pre-paid gratuities, does it include tips dining at the specialty restaurants? Or limited to the Grand Dining Room?

It's all tips -- you don't tip extra for the specialty restaurants unless you want to do so.

2. On Oceania's stateroom TV system, are there movies available to watch? Can we choose which movie to watch?

There are usually 2-3 movie channels. You can choose. There are also TV channels. In addition, you can check out movies from the library.

3. Do we need to pay extra for renting movies at the library?

No

4. Is there any ballroom dance class? Are they taught by professionals? Do we need to pay extra?

I haven't seen any such on O cruises although I have on other lines. That doesn't mean that there might not be some on YOUR cruise.

5. Is there any yoga/ fitness class during the day? Do we need to pay extra?

There are ... I haven't partaken of these so I'm not sure if there is a charge. I think there may be ... then again, maybe not.

Jim&Stan will chime in here, I'm sure. (I wouldn't have chimed in so soon except that I didn't see any answers posted yet.)

6. How much is the hands-on cooking class?

Go to the website and you can find that out. The classes depend on your cruise (in terms of which classes are offered). We've only done one Marina cruise where classes were offered, but it was so port intensive that we didn't have a chance to sign up. The prices seemed reasonable, however, and there are also options for doing a shopping tour with the chef, coming back and preparing something. It depends on the port and the cruise.

Our next cruise isn't until November and this option isn't up yet. And checking out various cruises in the next month or two didn't show the option. Seems to me from past checking out that prices are around $70 or so.

Mura

Fees for yoga, pilates & Spinning classes

The machines are free to use

I have not seen any ballroom dancing classes either ...but as Mura said does not mean they do not happen ;)

Fees for yoga, pilates & Spinning classes

The machines are free to use

I have not seen any ballroom dancing classes either ...but as Mura said does not mean they do not happen ;)

On last cruise (I think on the Valparaiso to Papeete leg), there were free social dance lessons with the assistant cruise director. Each session was a different style and were advertised in the daily events paper.

For those who want to attend a culinary class, but can't stand for 2 hours straight, are there any chairs for sitting - or even for just observing and not participating? I noticed from various cruiser pictures, there is a cute apron and modified "toque"; do the participants get to keep these as a momento?;)

Thanks sitraveler, just the info I needed. I have one of those golf/cane perch chairs, hopefully they will allow me to use it, since I will be pairing with my sister and it won't deter her!

For those who want to attend a culinary class, but can't stand for 2 hours straight, are there any chairs for sitting - or even for just observing and not participating?

I am sure if you ask they will bring a chair for you if you are taking the class

No chairs. The were chairs for viewing, but the guests were too disruptive to those paying and were taken out.

Does this mean it's no longer possible to observe? It's a pity if so, just because some people can't be polite.

As a young teen my Dad used to take me to the all-day sessions at NBC (occasionally CBS) for shows where he was a member of the orchestra. I'm talking about shows like Dinah Shore's, Steve Allen, Danny Kaye, and so on. Even then I knew that it was mandatory that we make not a peep.

Mura

I am sure if you ask they will bring a chair for you if you are taking the class

And so I will, thanks!

Mura, Those wonderful old fashion rules of courtesy seem to be quickly vanishing year by year - sad!

The counters in the culinary center are high, they are designed for us to use for the prep on the dishes we are creating.

You do work in pairs, but each prepares their own dishes.

There is also a cleanliness issue, the room is spotless.

It's only an issue if you make it one.

You don't stand in one place for the whole time, you go up to the front area often. It's an active class.

I took a culinary class on Riviera last October. An older lady came in with a cane and it was obvious that she would be challenged if standing while prepping. Without being asked one of the assistant chefs brought her a chair of an appropriate height.

In every instance I felt a cruiser with cane/wheel chair challenges needed the staff's assistance, it was given.

I think Oceania works very hard to assist passengers with mobility issues.

I took a culinary class on Riviera last October. An older lady came in with a cane and it was obvious that she would be challenged if standing while prepping. Without being asked one of the assistant chefs brought her a chair of an appropriate height.

In every instance I felt a cruiser with cane/wheel chair challenges needed the staff's assistance, it was given.

I think Oceania works very hard to assist passengers with mobility issues.

This is excellent news as I am really looking forward to the classes! At home, I just bring all my prep work to a high counter, and do my chopping sitting on a stool. The walking back and forth to the supply tables will also help.

Thanks everyone for so much complete information - now I just have the long wait till my cruise :D

For those who want to attend a culinary class, but can't stand for 2 hours straight, are there any chairs for sitting - or even for just observing and not participating? I noticed from various cruiser pictures, there is a cute apron and modified "toque"; do the participants get to keep these as a momento?;)

My wife attended three of the Classes on our recent Riviera cruise in March.

She, also, has trouble standing for 2 hours. We would arrive early and ask one of the assistants to get her a chair, which they cheerfully did, and set her up on the end of one of the stations in the last row.

There is no "visitor's gallery," but I (and a few others) were allowed to stay and sit on a bench area near the outer wall, in order to take pictures, etc.

... The walking back and forth to the supply tables will also help.

All of your supplies, ingredients and tools are set up for you at your work station by the assistants.

My wife attended three of the Classes on our recent Riviera cruise in March.

She, also, has trouble standing for 2 hours. We would arrive early and ask one of the assistants to get her a chair, which they cheerfully did, and set her up on the end of one of the stations in the last row.

There is no "visitor's gallery," but I (and a few others) were allowed to stay and sit on a bench area near the outer wall, in order to take pictures, etc.

All of your supplies, ingredients and tools are set up for you at your work station by the assistants.

Thank you Computerworks! I know my DH wants to observe, and, as you mention will want to video us hard at creating our "masterpieces"! ;)

And a good tip to arrive early to set up so I won't be in the way of others!

Yes, absolutely. "Taste?" ...more like "Eat it all!" :p

So let me get this right

Are you saying you did not pay for the class but were allowed to eat the end results???

Also you were allowed to sit in on the class?

No chairs. The were chairs for viewing, but the guests were too disruptive to those paying and were taken out.

I think that was a good plan

If you are not paying got the class then you should NOT be in the room

I remember there was a glass window for viewing from the hall

So let me get this right

Are you saying you did not pay for the class but were allowed to eat the end results???

Also you were allowed to sit in on the class?

That is essentially correct.

My wife took the class. I stayed for portions of it to take pictures. Actually, not for the entire 2 hours, but popped in and out.

She didn't want to keep eating during the class, so I got the 'discards.' :cool:

That is essentially correct.

My wife took the class. I stayed for portions of it to take pictures. Actually, not for the entire 2 hours, but popped in and out.

She didn't want to keep eating during the class, so I got the 'discards.' :cool:

Thanks for the info

No one forces the participants to eat the all the food the prepare

:rolleyes:

Archived