What is the best seasickness medication?

There are many possibilities, some prescription, some OTC. I've had great results with the scopolamine patch. Others don't have good results with it. It's prescription so you would need to talk with your doctor, and it would be a good idea to talk with him/her anyway, especially if either or both of you have pre-existing conditions and/or take any medications or supplements regularly.

No doubt you'll get a LOT of suggestions here, so I would suggest making a list of them, researching the suggested products on your own, and then talking with your doctor about them, even the OTC ones.

I agree with the above. The best remedy is the one that's best for you.

Talk to your doctor if you're on medications as you don't want an interaction. Some will give some people problems.

Try out various types ahead of time and see which ones don't give you side effects. A few such as the patch, you'll need a prescription.

Myself, I use ginger, but people with clotting problems might want to stay away from it.

I too would speak with your doctor about this. We use Bonine which is one of the over the counter items. There is also Dramamine. The side effect is that it can make you drowsy. There is the prescription patch but there are some side effects including a dry mouth and also it can cause some other issues with people. Other remedies are ginger.

Keith

Everyone above has given you good advice. Talk to your doctor and see what he/she recommends. My doctor prescribes the patch and phenergen gel for nausea. I am sensitive to the motion and get nauseous very easily so I bring the phenergen gel in case of upset stomach from food or the motion (to keep from having to see the ship's doctor unless absolutely necessary). I also bring Dramamine and am considering the candied ginger suggestion I read recently. Good luck, hope you have a great time :)

I take with me three items. Starting the night before cruise I take the generic version of Bonine, taking one each evening. I also take a tiny little bottle of Motion Eze. It can be found at Walmart, look carefully, it is very small. It is a aromatic oil, that you put a little behind your ear. I use it a little each day. I also will take a few ginger pills, which I have never had to use. I have never experienced sea sickness on the ship. I have been sea sick on an excursion before I started taking the Bonine...snorkeling in choppy water is NOT good! I was still wobbly and nauseous after getting home from cruise due to it.

Ginger capsules ...... can be found in the vitamin/supplements section at WalMart.

No side effects; unlike some of the prescription meds, such as "the patch" (Scopalomine) which can couse blurred vision, difficulty urinating, confusion, dry mouth, among other things. Some of the over-the-counter meds can cause drowsiness, and the label recommends avoiding alcohol intake.

Most important, as others have said, check with your physician first.

Ginger capsules ...... can be found in the vitamin/supplements section at WalMart.

No side effects; unlike some of the prescription meds, such as "the patch" (Scopalomine) which can couse blurred vision, difficulty urinating, confusion, dry mouth, among other things. Some of the over-the-counter meds can cause drowsiness, and the label recommends avoiding alcohol intake.

Most important, as others have said, check with your physician first.

There are side effects of ginger tabs or caps! Particularly for diabetics, pregnant women and people taking anticoagulants.

I think it counts on why you're concerned - are you always motion sick, or just worrying about it because you've been motion sick a few times in the past? I can get a bit ikky in a car on a curvy road when I'm not the driver. But I'm "usually" OK. But if you're someone who ALWAYS has issues.....

So for me, one bonine at night works well for the first few nights. Ginger capsules are added if things get really rocky, but - to be honest - I ADORE a ship that feels like a ship, rocking and rolling! (We sail on the "middle-sized" Holland America ships.)

And on four cruises (including some pretty rough seas), I've never felt as bad as I can in a car on a mountain road.

Barb

Also, keep in mind some other techniques if you feel a bit queasy...get some fresh air, look at the horizon, don't eat greasy or heavy food, don't read...won't always help, but you never know!

Good advice. A lot of "seasickness" is self-induced. Eating light, getting fresh air, not magnifying movement by focussing on things near you, and giving yourself a few hours to get used to (and actually get to enjoy the movement) is good advice. Pigging out at the buffet as soon as you board and then having one or two drinks too many at sail-away are pretty good ways to make yourself feel queasy.

Well, this is a large topic, and some background information will really help you before we get to remedies.

First of all, most people don't get seasick, and if you do, it almost always passes in a day, once you get your sea legs. Yes, I know, there are some people (a very small number) who seem to take several days to get over it.

Seasickness is primarily caused by a conflict between the eyes (if they are not seeing the motion) and the inner ear which detect the motion. So, prevention is somewhat easy -- stay someplace where you can see the motion until you get your sea legs. Staying out on deck and watching the horizon is the cure, and the fresh air will help as well. If you are inside, stay near a window so you can see the horizon. If you are not feeling well, do not go inside and lose sight of the seas. The other thing is to eat normally. While this seems counter-intuitive, an empty stomach is not the answer. Keep away from greasy foods and don't overeat, but eat normal meals at normal times.

As for the remedies:

Ginger is clinically proven to dramatically reduce or prevent all motion sickness. You can take ginger pills (available in any drug store), eat candied ginger or ginger snaps, or drink real ginger ale (though you might need a lot). This is a natural remedy obviously, but clinically proven to work. Start taking or eating it about when you get on the ship, but you do not need more than a few hours' time for it to get into your system.

Some people swear by the seabands, others notice no effect whatsoever. Again, no medications, but not always effective.

Bonine and dramamine are OTC medications available everywhere. They will work for most people who get seasick. They should be started before getting on the ship. Ships also dispense generic forms of these pills.

For cases of severe seasickness where nothing else has worked, there is the patch. The most common side-effect is dry mouth, but there can be some serious side-effects as mentioned and including hallucinations. If you know you are going to get seasick, and you have tried other medications without success, and your doctor recommends it, get the prescription filled in advance and try it for a week on dry land first -- you don't want to start hallucinating as you walk along the rail while you are at sea.

Perhaps most of all, don't worry yourself into it. If you don't get motion sick in other situations, you are likely to be fine or will be fine after a few hours. While cruise ships do move in the seas, and rough seas can cause a lot of motion, bear in mind that they are not anything like small pleasure craft that bob and bounce along all the time. Motion on a cruise ship tends to be much, much slower and less dramatic. If it were a really common problem, you wouldn't see so many cruise ships out there. For most passengers, the gentle motion is calming. Cruise lines try to avoid rough seas when they can, though that is not always possible, and the seas are not always coming from the right direction (Mother Nature can be soooo finicky). For the most part, though, relax and enjoy. Odds are that you are going to be just fine, and the initial prevention suggestions should be enough by themselves.

Archived