Boat To and Bus From Oia

Kenato

Wow, sorry to hear that. It is difficut to find accurate information in booking the transfer. I found another company that offers the transfer for 25 Euros. I forget the name though. Something like Arigant, but I'll have to check. We have been to Greece before but not Santorini.

http://www.aegeantraveller.gr/

You can't book, u have to send a "request"...:confused:

I've sent a "request", in reply they offered me a donkey tour:D

I WOULDN'T book with them online :(

http://www.aegeantraveller.gr/

You can't book, u have to send a "request"...:confused:

I've sent a "request", in reply they offered me a donkey tour:D

I WOULDN'T book with them online :(

They did not respond to me. I think we will either book a simple excursion through Celebrity or just tender and see what options are available. We want to see Oia and take a few fictures and spend a little time walking around. Our biggest concern is not missing the ship.

All,

We will start the second leg of our journey today and will be back in Santorini on June 24th. We have our second set of vouchers from the Santorini Planet Facebook page that we're going to try to use, hopefully with the same positive results. While we're there I will try to get as much information as possible based on everyone's questions and report back.

Cheers.

All,

We will start the second leg of our journey today and will be back in Santorini on June 24th. We have our second set of vouchers from the Santorini Planet Facebook page that we're going to try to use, hopefully with the same positive results. While we're there I will try to get as much information as possible based on everyone's questions and report back.

Cheers.

Your help is much appreciated. For me, Santorini is the highlight of the itinerary, and at the same time, is the most "problematic", with the tendering, the long wait for the cable car and the availability of an alternative to reaching Oia. If you could find out - are the "Boatmen Union" also providing transfers or only "aegeantravellers.gr" ?

Enjoy the rest of your cruise, Dani[ela]

I emailed someone who just returned from the Celebrity Reflection and they were able to purchase the boat/bus tour at the tender dock. The cost was 25 Euros and included the cable car ticket for the way down.

We are going to give this a try and hope for the best.

All,

Cheers.

I was so relieved when I read your first report from Santorini saying no problems with ticket and boat etc but am now quite alarmed at having read richfromhaw's report about the boat being cancelled. Our tickets are for 14 September so still a long way off. My worry is how do I get my money back if we experience the same problems? I paid through Paypal so hopefully there is some sort of way I can get compensation but how do I actually prove to Paypal that we did not get the service we paid for? Look forward to receiving your update when you return tomorrow.

We didn't experience any problems and were on Celebrity. I think if they decide to cancel it would be due to weather or lack of ticket sales. If you are on a large cruise ship or many other ships docked on same day and the weather is clear you shouldn't experience an issue. If it's cancelled due to storms or rough seas it's in your best interest and safety which is most important. My advice is to bring your receipt. You'll likely be able to be reimbursed if paid through pay pal. Have fun - this was the highlight of our 10 day cruise!!!

Sent from my KFSOWI using Forums mobile app

We didn't experience any problems and were on Celebrity. I think if they decide to cancel it would be due to weather or lack of ticket sales. If you are on a large cruise ship or many other ships docked on same day and the weather is clear you shouldn't experience an issue. If it's cancelled due to storms or rough seas it's in your best interest and safety which is most important. My advice is to bring your receipt. You'll likely be able to be reimbursed if paid through pay pal. Have fun - this was the highlight of our 10 day cruise!!!

I suppose all we can do is hope for the best on the day - you pays your money and you take your chance! Not going to let this dominate my cruise and we shall just cross our fingers and hope for the best. I'm sure it will be ok and if we lose our money sobeit

Hello all,

It's us again. We just left Santorini yesterday. I finally met the elusive Luca who was my Santorini point of contact. In talking to the lady at the desk and Luca, there are only two "scheduled" boats from Fira to Oia, one at 8:45 and one at 9:45. After that the boats are redirected to tender duties for the cruise ships. We had a voucher for the 9:45 boat but due to unfortunate delays out of our control we didn't get to the dock till 10:00 and missed the boat. Luca said he would give me a refund. While standing there with him two other men were still soliciting people to buy tickets to Oia which confused me so I asked Luca. He said if they can get enough people to fill one of the boats they would make a special run but there was no guarantee. He said to check back in about 45-60 min. I didn't want to waste the time so I just took the local bus to Oia. This entire process seems to operate on the fly. By this time I was pretty frustrated and forgot to ask other questions so I'm not sure how much help this has been. So sorry to all. I guess the bottom line is if you want to get to Oia by boat then be there 15-30 min before 8:45 and 9:45. As a side note. Taking the local bus is not a bad option. Buses leave every 20 min and cost 1.6 Euro and the ride is about 20 min.

We were in Santorini on Sunday June 15th on Celebrity Silhouette. We were in port from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. I purchased four tickets for the 9:45 a.m. boat to Oia online. We arrived on the dock about 9:30 and checked in with the office "Boats to Oia". They honored our online tickets as I expected and directed us to the 9:45 boat. We waited and waited and waited and the boat finally left at 10:20 a.m. The trip over to Oia is beautiful and it was nice to see the island up close from the water.

My original plan had been to get to Oia at 10 a.m., walk around, have an early lunch and catch the 1 p.m. bus back to Fira. By the time we got to Oia, it was just about 11 a.m. so we only would have two hours to walk around which was too short. So we went into the office of the bus transport folks and told them we were hoping for a later return (we had recruited another couple from our CC Roll Call who were hoping for the same). After several calls between the transport company and the boat guys ("we are not the same company"), it was agreed that we were not at fault and they told us to come back at 2 p.m. and they would have a bus waiting for us. Mentioning Tripadvisor and Cruise Critic did not hurt, IMO. My husband was polite but firm.

We had a nice time in Oia including a lunch overlooking the Caldera. We returned before 2 p.m. to catch the bus. It did not come until 2:30 p.m. so we just waited on their benches and used their wifi. The man was very apologetic and was grateful for our patience. The trip back to Fira was uneventful, we did some shopping and took the cable car down.

If I had it to do again, I would have taken the local bus from Fira to Oia or would have arranged a private transfer (like we did the last time) from Fira. With only the Silhouette and a Seabourn ship in port that day, I don't think the boat fills up fast enough and I don't think getting the public bus would be difficult. If you are there with four ships in port, the boat to Oia might be a good idea to avoid the cable car line up.

We returned before 2 p.m. to catch the bus. It did not come until 2:30 p.m.

Interesting information. The set up now seems to be a bit hit and miss regardless of which actual company is running the transfers. Did you not consider catching the local bus back to Fira or were you waiting in a different area?

Hello all,

I didn't want to waste the time so I just took the local bus to Oia. This entire process seems to operate on the fly. By this time I was pretty frustrated and forgot to ask other questions so I'm not sure how much help this has been. So sorry to all. I guess the bottom line is if you want to get to Oia by boat then be there 15-30 min before 8:45 and 9:45. As a side note. Taking the local bus is not a bad option. Buses leave every 20 min and cost 1.6 Euro and the ride is about 20 min.

Did you get the bus from the port or do you mean that you took it from Fira when you reached the top?

Did you get the bus from the port or do you mean that you took it from Fira when you reached the top?

There are no buses at the port of Fira. You have to use the cable car, mule or walk up to the town and then get the local bus from the bus station

To reach the local bus from Fira to Oia you must get up to Fira by cable car, donkey or walk. Once up there it's an easy 10 min walk to the bus station. If you're not sure, just ask for "bus station" and everyone is helpful in directing you. The bus departs every 20 min. You don't buy tickets in advance. Once you're on and the bus leaves the station a ticket person comes through and you pay him/her. It's 1.6E. Based on my experience having been to Santorini twice in the past two weeks, if I were to go back I would just forget about the boat transfer and take the bus. Just my thoughts.

Based on my experience having been to Santorini twice in the past two weeks, if I were to go back I would just forget about the boat transfer and take the bus. Just my thoughts.

My thoughts exactly.

So many "unknowns" about this port: while our "dingy" is supposed to dock at 07.00, I'm in no mood to wake up so early to be in line to tenders, I'm thinking more of 09.00, so as to try to get the supposed 09.45 departure. If we manage to get there and the transfer is operating and if there are places for us - excellent. If no, we'll stand in line for the cable car, and once in Fira, we'll take the bus to Oia.

Thankfully, your report that buses depart every 20 min will leave us enough time to wander in Oia and take the bus back, and then .... again ... stand in line for the cable car :confused:

ALL THAT ASSUMING THERE WILL BE NO STRONG WIND and WE'LL BE ABLE TO TENDER IN SANTORINI !!!

We arrived in port at 7am and although I admit it was the only port I set my cellphone to wake at 6am I really wanted to see the beauty of pulling into the Caldera! We got our tender tickets at 7:30am and was on tender within 1/2 hour on Celebrity Reflection.

We scored the earlier departure with Santorini Planet at 8:45 even though our tickets were for 9:45 and don't regret the early start in the least. By noon we were done in OIA which was a good thing because it was pretty hot for us New Englanders last month - my guess low to mid 80's and not a cloud in the sky.

My advice, make the most of this port early and enjoy a nice mid afternoon soak in the pool or hot tub on the ship without the stress and crowds :)

We arrived in port at 7am and although I admit it was the only port I set my cellphone to wake at 6am I really wanted to see the beauty of pulling into the Caldera! We got our tender tickets at 7:30am and was on tender within 1/2 hour on Celebrity Reflection.

We scored the earlier departure with Santorini Planet at 8:45 even though our tickets were for 9:45 and don't regret the early start in the least. By noon we were done in OIA which was a good thing because it was pretty hot for us New Englanders last month - my guess low to mid 80's and not a cloud in the sky.

My advice, make the most of this port early and enjoy a nice mid afternoon soak in the pool or hot tub on the ship without the stress and crowds :)

Thanks for your report, we are in Santorini on 14 Sept so it should be cooling down by then hopefully - not too cool though as we are starved of the sunshine in the UK!! Very reassuring to know that you got the earlier boat - we have tickets for 9.45am as we were scared we would not make the 8.45 but like you, I intend to get up early. Wanted to see Santorini for many years so getting really excited for that port. Did you get the bus to Fira included in the fare? Good tip about returning to the ship early which we intend to do as a bit worried about the cable down late afternoon.

We arrived in port at 7am and although I admit it was the only port I set my cellphone to wake at 6am I really wanted to see the beauty of pulling into the Caldera! :)

Good point, Susan. I didn't think about it, even though, as DH is an early riser, he will make sure I'm out of bed and on the balcony with him for the views... :D

Yes we took the bus back to Fira and walked to the cable cars. Lines were very long and wound around many streets but don't be put off I think we waited no more than 45 minutes. We weren't overly concerned as we had a good 4 hours to get back to the ship before it sailed. We almost walked it but I didn't have the best footwear on to walk down slippery steps and we really didn't want to see the donkeys - we are animal lovers and although they are raised to do this I didn't want to see them worked in the heat. The wait for the bus was approx 15 minutes, air conditioned and comfortable. Have fun wish I could go back tomorrow :)

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know if it is still possible to book online for the speedboat service as our friends wish to do this. The original link with Santorini Planet has disappeared. We have our voucher but would like to get one for them before we travel if possible.

Thanks for the info on your thread but I was actually wondering if anyone recently in the last couple of weeks has been let on to the boat with their voucher or if it has been refused as evidence of payment? As I have paid 100 euros for 4 people via Paypal I am getting a bit worried that I will have to pay again. I think Paypal would possibly cover this but as I have never claimed from them I am not really sure what I would do in the event that the voucher is invalid.

Does anybody know if it is still possible to book online for the speedboat service as our friends wish to do this. The original link with Santorini Planet has disappeared. We have our voucher but would like to get one for them before we travel if possible.

Last time I checked this in May, you could only book on SP's Facebook page not on their website.

They are great with replying to emails too if you have any questions.

Cheers

Amanda