Hotel in Papeete

SandyR5

Hi - Pretty sure we're going to book a hotel for 1 or 2 days, in Papeete, before our cruise. Anyone use either the Intercontintal or Le Meridian? Did you stay 1 or 2 nights? I figure if we first arrive in the evening, after flying ALL day, 2 days might be good so we could at least relax and sit on the beach for one day. Any thoughts? ;)

Hi - Pretty sure we're going to book a hotel for 1 or 2 days, in Papeete, before our cruise. Anyone use either the Intercontintal or Le Meridian? Did you stay 1 or 2 nights? I figure if we first arrive in the evening, after flying ALL day, 2 days might be good so we could at least relax and sit on the beach for one day. Any thoughts? ;)

The Sofitel which closed last Nov had a little beach but it is no more. Don't know about the Meridian. The Intercontinental has a little man-made beach by their lagoon but you're more likely going to be sitting around a pool with a view of Moorea but not on a beach. The Radisson has a black sand beach. I think there is a little market nearby but not sure. Can check if you're interested.

Be prepared to spend $$$$$$$ for food and drink at either of the hotels. You can walk to a store from the Intercontinental (turn left and go down the hill). There is a Champion there where you can buy baguettes, cheese, beer and wine, etc for far far less than at the hotels. Again, never been to the Meridian so don't know what's around it but can find out.

A 1 day stay would be enough if you need to catch your breath after a long flight but no kidding, be prepared to spend a whole heck of alot of money to do it! And, know that you're probably going to arrive later in the evening and will have to vacate your room at noon unless you choose to pay a day rate.You can store your luggage with the bell captain and usually you are allowed to use the facilities for the afternoon.

Truthfully, I wouldn't spend the money required to stay in a hotel in the Papeete area. Get off the plane and go to the ship. A quick shower and a nice meal onboard will be restorative. Don't bring too many clothes to FP. You'll spend most of your days in a bathing suit and cover-up.

Manuia!

I would take the money you are going to spend in Papeete and use it for a business class up grade. for 2 days any where with meals, room and tax for 2 for can pretty much rely on $800 to 1000 a day. In truth there is very little to see in Papetee, a market, the Gaugin museum ( very poor) and 200 pearl stores.

Your flight to will almost all be in daylight except for the last few hours and will not be that hard on you. except for jet lag.

I would also suggest to arrive more rested is to do a 12 + hour layover in LA... stay at the airport for about $230 at the Marriott, rather than a Tahitian hotel at $500-600 a night for a lesser room.

If you still insist on arriving several days earily then I would beat feet over to Moorea to the Intercontinental hotel. Stay at the motel at the airport and catch the ferry the next am for 2 nights on Moorea. It is cheap to fly too, so you might explore getting a through ticket to Moorea as Air Tahiti is the domestic version of Tahiti NUI. There is a Tahiti flight on Friday that arrives at 5 am Saturday. and can connect direct to Moorea without the expense of a hotel. and give you a Saturday night in Moorea which is 10x more scenic and relaxed than Papeete., Then on Sunday take the last ferry back to board the ship as it docks a block from the pier for Oceaina and it takes less than a hour the flight 15 min.

Been to about all the hotels on Tahiti and frankly they are just not that great, neither is the water sports/beaches or sites. Think out of the box break the trip at LA for penny's or get to Tahiti and race over to Moorea to rest.

thanks for your honesty. Oceania offers a per cruise "deal" at both hotels. If you book it they don't charge you for transfers which takes over $200 off the cost of the hotel. Just think we'll need to take a breather after flying in from N Y.

thanks for your honesty. Oceania offers a per cruise "deal" at both hotels. If you book it they don't charge you for transfers which takes over $200 off the cost of the hotel. Just think we'll need to take a breather after flying in from N Y.

I think Hawaiidan has offered the best advice here. If you want that extra 1-2 nights pre-cruise to unwind, reacclimate and avoid the late night rush to board the ship, take the short ferry ride or 20 minute flight (you can see Moorea from Papeete) and spend your time there. This is the Tahiti you're imagining while Papeete and the island of Tahiti are not. Good luck.

Better off taking your brather in LA!! Cheaper too..

Jancruz1

I, too, appreciate the feedback on Papeete.

As we're already committed to arriving on the evening of the 13th, though, I'd like some more feedback on the Radisson, please, as that's where we'll be for a couple of nights (well, day and a half) before heading over to the Hilton Resort on Moorea for three nights in an overwater bungalow (read: bucket list :D).

Black sand beach at the Radisson? Is it decent or is this another place to hang around the infinity pool?

Our cruise leaves Feb 4th Papeete to Sydney on the Marina.We are leaving from Jfk to La on the 1st using FF on AA arriving into La and staying one night in the Hyattt Place $149.00. Then flying from LAX to Papeete on Sunday the 2nd 1 Pm arriving into Papeete at 6:30 the same day staying 2 nights at the INtercontinental Panaramic room $750 for the 2 nights with breakfast.We have stayed at this hotel back in 1993 when it first opend as the Beachcomber.

WE are leaving an extra day because the weather in NY at that time could cause big delays.

I found a TA in Garden City that found this great price for the hotel stay.

I, too, appreciate the feedback on Papeete.

As we're already committed to arriving on the evening of the 13th, though, I'd like some more feedback on the Radisson, please, as that's where we'll be for a couple of nights (well, day and a half) before heading over to the Hilton Resort on Moorea for three nights in an overwater bungalow (read: bucket list :D).

Black sand beach at the Radisson? Is it decent or is this another place to hang around the infinity pool?

Well, the Hilton Moorea is a fabulous place and their OTWs are great! Water is solar heated so sometimes the hot water is more like warm. Wine will set you back about $15 per glass, beers are around $7. Suggestion: ask your transfer person to stop at the Are Supermarche in PaoPao. Grab some bottled water and some beer/wine if you're inclined to favor those beverages and a carton of Tahiti Drink and maybe some chips or whatever. Credit Cards are not accepted but you will have time to get XPF while in Tahiti. We stash several Trader Joe totes in our suitcase so we can get the items to the hotel (and yes, many people arrive with stash in hand...do NOT feel embarrassed, feel wise!). Anyway, you are now ready for great sunset happy hours in the privacy of your deck/dock at the Hilton Moorea. We rent a car from Albert's for the day to drive around the island and drive up to the Belvedere...easily accomplished on your own. However, the Hilton experience is just plain gorgeous so don't be surprised if you don't do much else than enjoy the water and views from there!

Be aware: When we were at the Hilton last July, we were surprised to find the only meal service after 3 was via room service which is a rather expensive option. So either load up at breakfast (hope it is included in your room rate) or be sure to check when lunch service ends.

Re Black sand beach: it's right there over the fence at the Radisson. Great beach for walking and people watching....and of course views of Moorea. Locals to spread out mats but we stayed on the loungers by the pool...no sand to bother with yet there was the beach to look at.

2 words of caution: Be sure to allow plenty of time to get to the ferry dock or airport. Papeete traffic can be congested during commute times. And don't leave anything of value laying around. Times are very tough right now in French Polynesia, especially on Tahiti.

Sorry for the lengthy post.....we love French Polynesia and once started, can talk for hours about the place!

My Radisson experience is 4 years old, but we really like this property, mostly because of the black sand beach. Others have said it's perhaps a bit rundown lately, I don't know--hotels in FP get old very, very quickly. But the pool is lovely, and the views of the beach with the locals boogie-boarding, canoeing, swimming is great.

I'm one of those who has never liked the IC because it's quite plastic.

There is a smaller hotel, the Royal Tahitien, in the same end of town as the Radisson, which has so-so rooms but a terrific bar and restaurant, right on the water overlooking black sand--worth a visit for lunch or dinner if you're in the neighbourhood--a bit too far to walk from the Radisson, but an easy cab ride.

I also disagree that you should just tough it out and fly directly to the ship. Spend a night or two at a hotel--you will enjoy your cruise ever so much more. Getting to Moorea for just 2 nights is sometimes tough to schedule--flight scheds often dictate that you have to spend your first night on the island of Tahiti since the ferries don't run after dark (and dark comes early, around 6.) Two nights would hardly let you get settled.

(Vaitape, I'd love to pick your brain about hotels in Moorea--I'm hoping to finally do a pre-cruise there next year and was thinking perhaps something a bit off the beaten track.)

Well, the Hilton Moorea is a fabulous place and their OTWs are great! Water is solar heated so sometimes the hot water is more like warm. Wine will set you back about $15 per glass, beers are around $7. Suggestion: ask your transfer person to stop at the Are Supermarche in PaoPao. Grab some bottled water and some beer/wine if you're inclined to favor those beverages and a carton of Tahiti Drink and maybe some chips or whatever. Credit Cards are not accepted but you will have time to get XPF while in Tahiti. We stash several Trader Joe totes in our suitcase so we can get the items to the hotel (and yes, many people arrive with stash in hand...do NOT feel embarrassed, feel wise!). Anyway, you are now ready for great sunset happy hours in the privacy of your deck/dock at the Hilton Moorea. We rent a car from Albert's for the day to drive around the island and drive up to the Belvedere...easily accomplished on your own. However, the Hilton experience is just plain gorgeous so don't be surprised if you don't do much else than enjoy the water and views from there!

Be aware: When we were at the Hilton last July, we were surprised to find the only meal service after 3 was via room service which is a rather expensive option. So either load up at breakfast (hope it is included in your room rate) or be sure to check when lunch service ends.

Re Black sand beach: it's right there over the fence at the Radisson. Great beach for walking and people watching....and of course views of Moorea. Locals to spread out mats but we stayed on the loungers by the pool...no sand to bother with yet there was the beach to look at.

2 words of caution: Be sure to allow plenty of time to get to the ferry dock or airport. Papeete traffic can be congested during commute times. And don't leave anything of value laying around. Times are very tough right now in French Polynesia, especially on Tahiti.

Sorry for the lengthy post.....we love French Polynesia and once started, can talk for hours about the place!

That wasn't too long at all!

Thanks for the great tips. Much appreciated. icon14.gif

For some reason my post didn't "post." We were at the Intercontinental and we were required to take the 3 nights because of our arrival time even tho we wanted just one or two nights since we had been there before.

I found the IC very dated this time. We had a lot of mildew in our room (bathroom). Room was acceptable to a point, but not what we paid for. The breakfast was $50 per person. Really outrageous. We did the entertainment night, and what they offered on the buffet that night, I just could not eat. I will say that they let me order a club sandwich, but it was a very, very expensive sandwich.

Anyway, just enjoy, but don't expect paradise.

Thanks to all who have answered. We decided to book, for 1 night, Le Meridian in Papeete. We did it through Oceania. If you do it through them, they waive the transfer fee which cuts the price of the night in the hotel in half. We have no idea yet when we will arrive, but we will be able to shower/sleep and board refreshed as possible. This is what works for us. Again, thanks for all your very realistic answers...which is what I wanted. ;)

We're now at the Hilton in Moorea after only one night at the Radisson in Papeete (that after an Air Tahiti Nui (ATN) flight cancellation and travel day from hell. Details to come in an 'air deviation' discussion coming soon to a thread near you.)

Given the aforementioned flight cancellation and a night at the Hacienda at LAX "courtesy" of ATN, which makes REAL flea bag hotels look luxurious), we arrived Sunday afternoon so had less than 24 hours at the Radisson.

Have Club Carlson Gold Elite status so got a nice upgrade to a duplex suite. Awesome views, room could have been cleaned a little better, but a holiday-beginning happy hour cocktail and a float around the pool at sunset has finally got this thing off the ground. :)

Must go have a plunge in the water off our over water bungalow platform.

L8R.

We will be at Le Meridien for two nights. If you have the Starwood Amex card, it is one of their properties - I think it was 16000 points a night. We used points to get business class seats on ATN, but still want to unwind for a couple of days. After Tahiti, we will take the ferry to Moorea - got a great deal for an overwater bungalow at the Moorea Pearl Hotel, then ferry back and embark the Paul Gauguin for a two week cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from our Tahitian Breeze cruise. We came in two days early and stayed at the Manava Suites which was very nice. Our ATN flight arrived at 10 pm and we had Marama Tours pick us up at the airport and bring us to the the hotel. They also deposited people at the IC.

We had breakfast one day at the Manava but we did not take the full buffet. Just ordered pancakes and coffee and it was no where near $50. We ate dinner at the roulette across from the hotel and there are other restaurants nearby. We rented a car from Avis Pacificar on the day of embarkation and drove around the island before returning the car to the airport. This worked out well for us.

Terrrier, How did you get to the airport from the ship? Did you use Oceania's transport or a taxi? If you used a taxi, about how much was it? We need an idea of how much money we need to exchange and this would be helpful. Thanks so much.

Terrrier, How did you get to the airport from the ship? Did you use Oceania's transport or a taxi? If you used a taxi, about how much was it? We need an idea of how much money we need to exchange and this would be helpful. Thanks so much.

We went from the airport to the Manava Suites via Maramo Tours and it was $38 prepaid via credit card on line. Taxis after dark double in cost. We then went from the Manava Suites to the airport to pick up the rental car. Avis picked us up at the Manava and we drove the car around the island and deposited it back at the airport. Avis drove us to the port. At the end of the cruise, we stayed 4 days in Moorea. The taxi from the ferry in Papeeti to the airport was 2000 xpf but I happen to know it is usually more like 2500 xpf. We just lucked out with a good deal.

Archived