Photo Tour of the Riviera - March 2013

computerworks

Ron' date=' Thanks so very much for these great pictures! As I was looking at them, I was hoping that the Marina would be much the same - and LuAnn has confirmed that it is. We will be on the Marina to the Baltic in August and can't wait! We previously sailed on the Regatta and loved her - we are partial to the R class ships. Now I know we will also love the Marina. (Can't wait for afternoon tea!)

Donna[/quote']

that we can love all of them!!???? Enjoy your sailing.....picture me "jealous"!!!! :D LuAnn

• 2 weeks later...
So, there you have it...

I hope this Photo Tour captures the beauty and grace of the Riviera as I saw it...

...and helps those who have not yet experienced her to get a feel for the layout and venues onboard.

I know I'll be back. ;)

Thanks for the beautiful tour. We are doing back to back cruises in a couple of weeks - July 13 & July 25 - really looking forward to it now.

Sue

Thank you, Ron, for your time, effort and especially artistic photographic talent. The pictures were great. I am so looking forward to my first Riviera cruise in just a few weeks.

This does lead me to two questions:

What type camera did you use?

Were you admitted to the dining venues prior to their opening? I have never before seen the GDR or specialty restaurants empty. Is the trick getting there before everyone else? Thanks.

Harriet

• 3 months later...

Hi!

I viewed your very nice ship tour pics. In the last one, from the boutique, there is a man that looks a little bit troubled. That is - me!!

What are the chances?.

Se you next summer!

Best regards,

Martin

Hi!

I viewed your very nice ship tour pics. In the last one, from the boutique, there is a man that looks a little bit troubled. That is - me!!

What are the chances?.

Se you next summer!

Best regards,

Martin

Ha! ...six degrees of separations and all that. :p

Now..promise... Next July...you take my picture, OK? :cool:

Ha! ...six degrees of separations and all that. :p

Now..promise... Next July...you take my picture, OK? :cool:

I've noticed 2 or 3 people on the thread asking what camera you used. I can't seem to find an answer on this or your other thread. Is it classified? Very nice pics. Would also like to know what you used. Thanks. :)

I've noticed 2 or 3 people on the thread asking what camera you used. I can't seem to find an answer on this or your other thread. Is it classified? Very nice pics. Would also like to know what you used. Thanks. :)

Thanks...no secret. I have had this one for about a year...and is the best pocket-sized camera I have ever seen.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V

18 megapixel, 20x optical zoom, GPS, WiFi, and a gazillion features ...and shoots HD movies to boot.

293623-sony-cyber-shot-dsc-hx30v-angle.jpg

293625-sony-cyber-shot-dsc-hx30v-rear.jpg

293627-sony-cyber-shot-dsc-hx30v-top.jpg

LOL, That's the same one we bought before our cruise to Alaska this spring. Had an older Sony that just wouldn't zoom in far enough. After online research decided to get this one. Glad we made a good choice. My wife takes most of the pictures.

Your photos are breathtaking.

DH's eyes really opened wide as I scrolled through them.

Thank you so much for taking the time to take the photos, and then to post them here.

I've decided to surprise DH with a camera like this, and present it to him just before we leave for our next cruise.

Alas, that one isn't Oceania, but it's a destination that was at the top of our travel list. I'm going to have to keep reminding him that he should NOT judge the future cruises by this next one.

THEN... Oceania... here we come...:)

We've already got two Oceania cruises booked, first on the Regatta, and then the Riviera, for starters.

GeezerCouple

Thanks...no secret. I have had this one for about a year...and is the best pocket-sized camera I have ever seen.

18 megapixel, 20x optical zoom, GPS, WiFi, and a gazillion features ...and shoots HD movies to boot.

293623-sony-cyber-shot-dsc-hx30v-angle.jpg

293625-sony-cyber-shot-dsc-hx30v-rear.jpg

293627-sony-cyber-shot-dsc-hx30v-top.jpg

]

DH is gonna have words with you! I'm looking into this very camera for a pocket one - I'm sick of carrying the Nikon d7100 around. It's like a "mug me" magnet and far too large. I had a D40x before that one. This brings the camera count up to 6. Such a geek. :) And I work out and am 200lb so mugging is not so likely to go well (I'd like to think) but I digress - I'm on amazon now buying one. Fantastic pics my friend! What a great ship!

Edited by corpkid

Well, to be honest, while I scrolled through your photos, DH did mumble something about my interrupting his work. (Yup, he did mention something about that before I insisted he look.)

So I went back to this first photo you posted, and pointed to the open door at the starboard side of the Riviera's bow, and said that was the gangplank, so he should pay attention! :eek:

GeezerCouple

Photo Tour of the Riviera - March 2013

We have just returned from our 10-day Caribbean Hideaways cruise on the Riviera, out of Miami to five great islands.

My wife and I are pretty seasoned cruisers, with 25+ cruises... but never on an upscale line.

As we ran out of options for itineraries on our cruise line of choice (Norwegian), we began to explore other lines.

The Oceania experience seemed to be a very good fit for us. Rather than make our first try on a long or exotic voyage, we chose this trip from Miami to see how close we came to finding a good match for us.

It was a bullseye. We throroughly enjoyed every aspect of the trip and found the Riviera to be nearly the perfect ship in every way.

I will post my Cruise and Port Review on a different thread, but this thread will address my impressions of the Riviera in pictures.

I enjoy taking pictures and sharing them. When we were in the discovery mode, like so many other rookies, I spent hour upon hour crawling over every post on this forum, looking for insight and advice.

I hope by creating this thread, I can pay it forward to some newbie down the road who also wants to see just what is this ship all about.

We certainly are now Oceania fans, booking our Winter trip onboard...and planning our 2014 cruise as well... on Oceania.

So... a walk around the Riviera.

8630711574_d2088bd381_b.jpg

Thanks so much for the wonderful pics. We just booked the Riviera for May 5, 2014, and concierge level A3. Our last cruise was on Regent and what a huge disappointment. Perhaps it was that particular ship, Navigator, a VERY small, old, reconditioned Russian ice breaker, I believe. To begin with the decor was ugly & drab, the service terrible, and the food even worse, the only cruise I lost weight on. I could go on and on and as look at your pictures, I can't believe the star rating and price difference.

Some years ago, we,sailed on the Nautica and loved it. This time, it was a choice between the Riviera and the Insignia for identical itineraries a month a part. I know we would like the Insignia, but decided to try the O cat this time. We are big fans of Crystal, but could not find this itinerary on Crystal. I particularly wanted the time in Israel.

Looking forward to this cruise and beautiful ship!

Your photos were really great - a wonderful tour of the ship. But one area that seems to be missing is the gym. Did you happen to stop in there or don't they have a gym? I have found very few photos of the work out facilities on board.

Thanks!

Your photos were really great - a wonderful tour of the ship. But one area that seems to be missing is the gym. Did you happen to stop in there or don't they have a gym? I have found very few photos of the work out facilities on board.

Thanks!

They have a FANTASTIC gym! No photos here as I wasn't really into schlepping my camera around at 6am to the gym but trust that it is wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...