DVD Connection to TV - Eclipse

cle-guy

Anyone know if you can attach a DVD player (or other thing) to the TV? if so how would it connect? HDMI possible? Or standard yellow-red-white connection?

I read occasionally they can provide a dvd player, so assume there is a way, wondering if anyone has actually done this?

I want to attach my AppleTV to stream my video from laptop...works often at most name brand hotels like Marriott and Hilton, assume ship TV must be similar....

when celebrity installed there tv they chose hotel mode on the tv. all you have to do is take a universal remote with you and google instruction on how to turn hotel mode off on Samsung tvs. will take a whole 30 seconds and hotel mode will be off and the hdmi ports will start working

Edited by kjaooo

Thank's know all about hotel mode and the remote..:D

And the hotel tv's....

I just need verification of the available input port, HDMI or the Y-R-W video combo or something else....

Thank's know all about hotel mode and the remote..:D

And the hotel tv's....

I just need verification of the available input port, HDMI or the Y-R-W video combo or something else....

they definitely have hdmi. not sure about the old red white and yellow. but ive never seen a flat screen not have them. my guess is they will have both

YES! YES! You can hook up your own audio equipment via the HDMI input. Am I sure? Yes! Because i just did it on Silhouette 2 weeks ago. You don't need and special "motel" remote and you don't have to worry about it being "in Hotel mode".

Here are the steps.

1) There will be two HDMI inputs on the back of the Samsung TV. The TV will be currently using the bottom one. Turn the TV off. Disconnect the Celebrity HDMI cable then plug your own Video equipment into this same HDMI input. (be sure to take a HDMI cable with you).

2) Power the TV back on and viola your device will now be working on the TV. Yes! That simple. The remote will work the TV's volume and power.

To return to the Celebrity feed. Power TV off. Disconnect your HDMI cable and replace the Celebrity HDMI cable in the lower/same HDMI input. Power TV back and you are back to normal.

I know it works because i was able to run my iPad via an Apple HDMI 30 pin connector.

I also took my Apple TV with me and hooked it up the TV and watched what I wanted from a Seagate Wireless Plus Hard Drive. The Seagate Wireless Plus Creates it own wireless network which allows the Apple TV to connect to. This also allows allows an iPad, iPhone, or Mac to mirror to your TV without any wires. My Apple TV2 is jailbroken and this allows me to watch virtually any media file type that I download on my Seagate Wireless Plus.

You must take note in order to get an Apple TV to work it must connect to an available network. Do not connect to the ships because that would cost you a fortune. You must create your own and the Seagate Wireless Plus is the answer (wireless network plus hard drive). Once your Apple TV connects it will look like it is offline because the default Apple icon will not be displaying because of no internet. Don't worry because everything else will work... even your mirroring capabilities.

Any other question just ask and I will be happy to answer. This is a question that comes up quite a bit but, very few know the answer.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Does anyone know if the use of hotel mode on the TVs is the same on te M-class ships too? We're cruising on the Connie later and was also wondering about the ability to hook up a DVD player or laptop to the tv.

Does anyone know if the use of hotel mode on the TVs is the same on te M-class ships too? We're cruising on the Connie later and was also wondering about the ability to hook up a DVD player or laptop to the tv.

yea there the same

YES! YES! You can hook up your own audio equipment via the HDMI input. Am I sure? Yes! Because i just did it on Silhouette 2 weeks ago. You don't need and special "motel" remote and you don't have to worry about it being "in Hotel mode".

Here are the steps.

1) There will be two HDMI inputs on the back of the Samsung TV. The TV will be currently using the bottom one. Turn the TV off. Disconnect the Celebrity HDMI cable then plug your own Video equipment into this same HDMI input. (be sure to take a HDMI cable with you).

2) Power the TV back on and viola your device will now be working on the TV. Yes! That simple. The remote will work the TV's volume and power.

To return to the Celebrity feed. Power TV off. Disconnect your HDMI cable and replace the Celebrity HDMI cable in the lower/same HDMI input. Power TV back and you are back to normal.

I know it works because i was able to run my iPad via an Apple HDMI 30 pin connector.

I also took my Apple TV with me and hooked it up the TV and watched what I wanted from a Seagate Wireless Plus Hard Drive. The Seagate Wireless Plus Creates it own wireless network which allows the Apple TV to connect to. This also allows allows an iPad, iPhone, or Mac to mirror to your TV without any wires. My Apple TV2 is jailbroken and this allows me to watch virtually any media file type that I download on my Seagate Wireless Plus.

You must take note in order to get an Apple TV to work it must connect to an available network. Do not connect to the ships because that would cost you a fortune. You must create your own and the Seagate Wireless Plus is the answer (wireless network plus hard drive). Once your Apple TV connects it will look like it is offline because the default Apple icon will not be displaying because of no internet. Don't worry because everything else will work... even your mirroring capabilities.

Any other question just ask and I will be happy to answer. This is a question that comes up quite a bit but, very few know the answer.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

same plan as I have for my TA, my Seagate media player and a 1tb portable harddrive. plus its nice to be able to review pics taken on the tv and not wait till your home

I could do the same with my laptop , with a hdmi cable

Yes! Any HDMI device you replace into the Celebrity input will work. Just make sure to bring your cable. If you want to sit on the bed bring an extra long cable.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Thanks, guys!

TO use my apple tv I plan on using a Airport Express to make my own wifi network to get laptop talking to apple tv. this will work right?

Here is what I suggest you try at home before you leave. You may have to reset your Airport Express to factory setting depending on how you are currentyly using it. Make your Airport Express act as router where it will create it own wireless network. Then make sure you can get the Apple TV to connect to it. Don't let the Airport Express connect to your current home network this way you can simulate the conditions in your stateroom. I am assuming you do not have the first gen of Apple TV? The Apple TV2/3 is black and about the same size as a pack of smokes. When you simulate this enviroment you will only see a few icons on your Appple TV because there will be no internet present (no itunes Store stuff). Not sure if you have the old or new Airport Express but, the New Airport Express has two RJ45 ports on the back one for in and one for Out so you could actually hard wire your Apple TV with the Airport Express. The New Airport Express is the exact same size and look as the Apple TV2/3 except that it is white in colour.

Laptop talking to Aplle TV the BIG assumption here is that your laptop is a Mac and running Mountain Lion OSX? Because the PC/Windows world cannot connect to an Apple TV. As long as your laptop has an HDMI out you can connect directly to Celebrity TV's HDMI port. Just bring a cable with you.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Kevin Reid

• 8 months later...

Just got on Eclipse and the TV uses PC and data input, not hdmi.

The "mute, 182 power" thing does not work either. The hdmi ports are disabled and you can't switch sources. Unless I can get someone on the ship to take it out of hotel mode all the stuff on my iPad will have to be viewed on the iPad.

Shoving off soon, so I'll be brief. TV pivots on bracket, so access to back is easy. Has 3 hdmi inputs but none will work. No way to switch source from PC mode. Using iPad with hdmi video adaptor and cable.

I've tried many combinations to get out of hotel mode but to no avail.

We are on the summit right now. We bought a universal remote and programmed it. Then we disconnected the Ethernet connection and then used the universal remote to change the input to the AV connection (red white yellow). Worked perfectly to connect our portable DVD player. We are soooo exited!

The above method works. make sure when you remove the ships HDMI connection that you are not on one of their in house music channels or it will override your device.

We used a WDTV plugged directly in and had no problems.

I used a dvd burner and burned my entire dvd collection to a 1 terrabyte portable harddrive which we plugged into the wdtv. I was able to watch any of our movies using two little boxes small enough to fit in the side pocket of a back pack.

• 4 weeks later...

We had no problems connecting a DVD player to our stateroom TV over the past two weeks aboard Eclipse.

We were in Eclipse Cabin 8107 which is one of the 4 FV cabins at the front of the ship. The flatscreen Samsung TV was mounted on the wall with brackets that allowed you to swing the TV away from the wall which gave you easy access to the backside of the TV.

The TV had the following audio/video inputs available:

1. PC In. This is what Celebrity uses to connect to the TV.

2. HDMI

3. DVI with L/R audio

4. Component video with L/R audio

5. Coax Antenna

6. HDMI (side input)

7. Composite video (side input) with L/R audio

There is a source select button on the side of the TV along with the volume up/down, channel up/down, and power buttons. The source select button was operable allowed us to change to a different set of inputs.

We connected our PC (with DVD player) to the stateroom TV using a 3 ft HDMI cable. The HDMI input was active and we were able to select it with the television's source button.

We did not need a remote to take the TV out of hotel mode. We did not even disconnect the existing cables from the TV.

Edited by mahdnc

• 4 months later...

Good evening.

Anyone know what type of audio out socket is on the TVs in the staterooms? We would like to watch TV using wireless headphones while our daughter sleeps, and need to know the correct adaptor for it.

Cheers!

OK

How about the Dish Anywhere "My Transfer" on an IPAD??

going on teh MILLENIUM for over a month!

FRANK

If this involves any sort of connection to the internet, forget it - terribly slow, and many ships restrict their router ports that stream video. And the cost, 75 cents per minute.

If the video is ON the iPad, then bring Apple TV and HDMI Cable so the iPad can stream to the TV.

Anything that will connect to an HDMI port will work, bring the cable and whatever gizmo you need to link the iPad to the television, just like at home.

Good evening.

Anyone know what type of audio out socket is on the TVs in the staterooms? We would like to watch TV using wireless headphones while our daughter sleeps, and need to know the correct adaptor for it.

Cheers!

Funny you ask.

I was just in AquaClass and looked for a headphone jack but could not locate one. I didn't look terribly hard though, but it wasn't obvious to me. I was on Summit/M-class, a Samsung flatscreen TV. I wanted to use my speakers I brought for my iPone as the TV speakers are awful.