Live and Greetings from the Sapphire 4/13/13

Working 2 Cruise

We are up early and heading for breakfast in a short while. Then, San Francisco here we come! We are leaving SF for Santa Barbara at 5:00 tonight. Not sure about the temperature, but it is a lovely day in San Francisco! I managed to get sunburned yesterday during our wild ride to SF! In the afternoon, it became very sunny, at least at the Outrigger Bar where we were shielded somewhat from that wind...

I will make sure to try those seafood vendors at Fisherman's Wharf... I have been craving crab legs, lobster and oysters... I will try for all three, but I really do not want to be a pig...

Tonight is formal night. This afternoon a few concerts are available on MUTS, Coldplay: Live 2012 (yay, a current one!), Genesis Invisible Touch (not so current). Also, there is the Sommelier Wine Club, but with the revised schedule, I am not sure if it will be well attended. Of course, there are multiple sets of trivia, taboo, etc. The movie playing on MUTS tonight is Les Miserables and the production show Born to Be Wild.

Of course, since it is our first formal night, there will be the Champagne Waterfall..

That's all folks! See you later!

Nina;

Hope you have a fantastic day in San Francisco.....:):):)

Bob

How fun, welcome to SF! Enjoy reading your posts! Hope you are able to try the fresh crab at Fisherman's Wharf. The best crab cocktails - and some fresh French Bread at Boudin Bakery! :)

We just got off the Sapphire on the 13th. We were also late getting into San Francisco. Got there at about 4 instead of 1. We had tickets to the Giants game and had to miss it. Oh well. If you want really good clam chowder go the Pier Market on Pier 39. It is to die for. You should really go see Alfred and Seymour. They are hysterical. Formal nights were the night we left San Francisco and the night we were in San Diego. Have a great rest of your cruise. We had a great time in all the other ports.

In answer to some questions (and a few unasked ones too as a bonus) on this itinerary:

Italian night is Tuesday, Santa Barbara

Pub Lunch is offered only once, Sunday in the Savoy dining room.

Zumba was also held only once, Sunday in Club Fusion. It's a great workout, prepare to sweat and dress appropriately

Chef's Table was held on Tuesday

Formal nights are Monday and Thursday, after San Francisco and San Diego. Dress code enforcement was rather lax.

On April 6th boarding didn't begin until after 12:30 p.m. We arrived at 11:45 and were on board a little before 1 p.m. with Platinum boarding.

Jackie

In answer to some questions (and a few unasked ones too as a bonus) on this itinerary:

Zumba was also held only once, Sunday in Club Fusion. It's a great workout, prepare to sweat and dress appropriately

Formal nights are Monday and Thursday, after San Francisco and San Diego. Dress code enforcement was rather lax.

On April 6th boarding didn't begin until after 12:30 p.m. We arrived at 11:45 and were on board a little before 1 p.m. with Platinum boarding.

Jackie

Jackie, thanks for the info, just what we were looking for.

Captain Carlton just made an announcement that, since the seas were so rough (his term not mine), we will not be able to dock in SF until 6 or 7 pm versus 1:00 and we will leave SF tomorrow around 5:00. That should give everyone of an idea of what is happening. I could not help myself but went for a walk on the Promenade and got a faceful of sea spray! In fact, I enjoyed it so much, I am taking my Kindle and sitting there while hubby sleeps.

. . .

These waves are really spectacular. Some people look a little green this morning!

DH will love that the waves are spectacular. He complains if the cruises are too calm.

Thanks for this information as we will be on this cruise in two weeks. We have independently booked an Alcatraz tour for about 6 p.m. Also, we have an early whale watching tour in SB, so we are interested in when you arrive there.

Janice

We just got off the Sapphire on the 13th. We were also late getting into San Francisco. Got there at about 4 instead of 1. We had tickets to the Giants game and had to miss it. Oh well. If you want really good clam chowder go the Pier Market on Pier 39. It is to die for. You should really go see Alfred and Seymour. They are hysterical. Formal nights were the night we left San Francisco and the night we were in San Diego. Have a great rest of your cruise. We had a great time in all the other ports.

We were also on this cruise last week and had a great time. Our delay in reaching San Francisco on time was mainly due to a late departure. Initially it was delayed clearance from the Harbor Master and then there was a medical emergency. We were approximately 2 hours late leaving Los Angeles. It does seem that the rough seas are causing some problems with reaching San Francisco on time.

Jackie

Thanks for the info Jackie.

Patty

We just left San Francisco. Waves are 20 to 25 ft... I have never seen them this high and, of course, we have very high winds. Upon departure, the captain said that we would definitely feel motion on our way to Santa Barbara... No kidding!

Motion does not bother us, in fact, we love it.

On the bad side, our cabin still keeps on smelling of sewage... We called Passenger Services...

On the good side, sailing out of San Francisco was spectacular... We could have almost touched the bridge. I do believe a part of the Sapphire did, as we heard a crack... :eek:

Apparently Captain Circle Party was held tonight and someone forgot our invitation, not sure if it was our wonderfully incompetent room attendant (no names named) or if it was due to the Captain Circle Hostess. We had a wonderful time in San Francisco and am taking a ton of photos!

We just left San Francisco. Waves are 20 to 25 ft... I have never seen them this high and, of course, we have very high winds. Upon departure, the captain said that we would definitely feel motion on our way to Santa Barbara... No kidding!

On the bad side, our cabin still keeps on smelling of sewage... We called Passenger Services...

On the good side, sailing out of San Francisco was spectacular... We could have almost touched the bridge. I do believe a part of the Sapphire did, as we heard a crack... :eek:

Apparently Captain Circle Party was held tonight and someone forgot our invitation, not sure if it was our wonderfully incompetent room attendant (no names named) or if it was due to the Captain Circle Hostess. We had a wonderful time in San Francisco and am taking a ton of photos!

We were on that cruise last week and it was also the first time I ever smelled sewage on a cruise.

My husband went to the highest part of the ship when we went under the bridge and he was so excited that it was only about 15 feet below the bridge. He said it was amazing.

The first three days, we were so confused about the Captains Circle party and even the formal nights because of all the delays in San Francisco and itinerary changes. Hang in there. It gets better. I will say that we were impressed that our room steward remembered our names from day one and we have a hard to remember last name. But from there, he never spoke to us other than to say hello. I have been on cruises where I wanted to adopt our room steward because I loved him so much. Not on this cruise.

My husband went to the highest part of the ship when we went under the bridge and he was so excited that it was only about 15 feet below the bridge. He said it was amazing.

Having sailed under the Golden Gate many times on an aircraft carrier the passage had to be at low tide because the masts barely cleared the Golden Gate by considerably less than 15 feet. :eek:

Hope the seas will calm down before SB so you can tender & each day it's forecasted to get warmer & well into the 80s soon! :D

Hi and thanks for the live thread.

I live in the Central Valley of California about 150 miles ESE of San Francisco as the bird flies. We are have quite a windstorm here tonight. Everything is blowing. I am sure its is blowing coming in from the sea.

Thank you so much for taking your time and posting live! After so many cruises, and now the motion effects me. So I'm a bit worried as our cruise is the repositioning cruise so we go all the way up to Seattle, Victoria and Vancouver. Hope it's not rocking too much!

Did they find where the sewage smell is coming from?

Thanks again! Hope u are having fun!!

PS.

Really good movies I want to see them all and have not seen any of those yet!!

Seas are much smoother this morning (and were of late last night too). The sewage smell is now gone, and our cabin attendant apologized for not taking care of our cabin at all last night... No ice, no fresh towels... These are basics for us, and we are usually very easy to please.

Dinner last night was excellent, crab quiche, asparagus soup, and beef medallions. The beef was very tender, could have been cut with a fork! Loved it! Dessert was bananas foster... Yum!

We had fun at dinner. There was a couple seated close to us at dinner in the Santa Fe restaurant. The man was older, and so crabby! He complained about absolutely everything! Things were too slow, too fast, always something. His wife (I think) was complaining that "there used to be so many good shows in the past... Now see what we get?" We could not stop laughing at them by the end of the dinner.

Onto Santa Barbara this morning. Should be a fun ride in the tenders!

Seas are much smoother this morning (and were of late last night too). The sewage smell is now gone, and our cabin attendant apologized for not taking care of our cabin at all last night... No ice, no fresh towels... These are basics for us, and we are usually very easy to please.

Dinner last night was excellent, crab quiche, asparagus soup, and beef medallions. The beef was very tender, could have been cut with a fork! Loved it! Dessert was bananas foster... Yum!

We had fun at dinner. There was a couple seated close to us at dinner in the Santa Fe restaurant. The man was older, and so crabby! He complained about absolutely everything! Things were too slow, too fast, always something. His wife (I think) was complaining that "there used to be so many good shows in the past... Now see what we get?" We could not stop laughing at them by the end of the dinner.

Thanks again! Sounds better. Enjoy!

. . .

Glad the seas are smoother, especially for tendering. At what time did you anchor at SB?

We were on the California Coastal right after yours (sailed March 30th-April 6th) and had Ovi as our waiter too! I couldnt beleive your post. He was excellent and had told us the same thing about him testing but he hadnt tested yet and is going to this week according to his wife. He's up against 5 others trying for the same position. I hope he gets it as well becuase he was an excellent waiter! Our California Coastal trip was smooth as glass the entire 7 days and I am with "working to cruise" I love the waves so I was a bit disappointed. ;) Sounds like this sailing has the complete opposite effect which can be fun until they close down dance events. Thats when I wish the waves away and only then.

During our Sapphire Princess cruise to Hawaii last month we were very impressed by the staff in the Vivaldi Dining Room and in Sabatini's. Our waiter, Ovi Pometcu, was taking his competitive test the following week to qualify to move up from waiter to the coveted next step, Dining Room Supervisor.

Ovi's wife is the Captain Circle Representative, if you have the chance to ask her how the test came out we would love to know.

Thanks,

The Roses

Wish I had money set aside! I just received an incredible email from Princess... $349 for a 7 day Alaska cruise, $699 for a 14-day cruise... Thank you Princess fairy, but my husband really doesn't want to go to Alaska! I do, however! :) What do I do? These are the lowest fares I have ever seen1

Thank you for this post. I'm booked!!! :D

Enjoy your California Coastal cruise, that was my favorite cruise so far. :)

Thank you for this post. I'm booked!!! :D

Enjoy your California Coastal cruise, that was my favorite cruise so far. :)

That's because you met us on your California Coastal cruise! :D We are taking this cruise April 27th - can't wait to do it again! Hope the weather cooperates. :)

That's because you met us on your California Coastal cruise! :D We are taking this cruise April 27th - can't wait to do it again! Hope the weather cooperates. :)

Will you also be posting live or write a review for those of us still going in May? :) Thx!

Yesterday was lovely Santa Barbara. It was really sunny, but windy and cool. We did not do much there except to go to Longboard's for lunch. I had a lovely lobster salad sandwich...

The tender ride to Santa Barbara (also on the way back) felt like we were on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride... I had the bright idea of wanting to sit on the outside deck of the tender... It was freezing! It was so cold my ears started to hurt! The ride was rough and at one point tipped to the right :eek: but, fortunately, righted itself... Ride back was not quite so rough, but rough enough.

I had wanted to attend the Liar's Club show yesterday but, alas, did not happen. It was Italian night for dinner last night but we went to the buffet instead where they had a Moroccan themed dinner with lamb riblets, and other goodies. We also had veal tenderloin with steamed vegetables. Everything was very good.

Tonight's entertainment is mostly Country and Western. The Hobbit will be showing on MUTS. There is another wine and food pairing at 7:00, with white wine and sushi. There is a vegetable and fruit carving demonstration.

We have been to afternoon tea once and it was, as usual, great! Production show tonight is I got the music. Concerts on MUTS today are Pink, Paul McCartney, and James Brown.

It is time for me to get some FCC's since my bank is now empty...:mad:

It is time for us to prepare to go ashore, so I will check in with y'all later today or tomorrow.

Archived