Dawn or Pearl?

skittl1321

Can anyone give me some opinions on which of these ships is better?

I am looking for a Thanksgiving cruise.

The Dawn goes to Roatan, belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel.

The Pearl to Great Stirrup Cay, Ochos Rios, George Town, and Cozumel.

I think the Dawn's itinerary sounds better, but I haven't been to either. The price of the Dawn is higher for Ocean view but lower for a balcony. Flight prices to either port are insane ($600+).

My other option is Carnival Dream, which is a lot less expensive, but the ports are really uninspiring, and I'm kind of 'been there, done that' about Carnival, even though that would be a new ship experience.

In my opinion the Dawn itinerary is much better. Both have Cozumel, so thats a wash. Roatan is a beautiful island with many great places to visit. Good beaches, island tours, zip lining, monkey visits and the cameo factory is really worth a stop at. I would not get off the ship in Jamaica again, but that is just my opinion. I have done the caves and Dunns River falls. Both are fun, but it is not an island I want to go back to. Belize and Grand Caymen are both tender ports. Belize offers a choice of cave tubing, the zoo or Mayan Ruins. Cayman has great beaches, stingray city and the turtle farm. Both of these ports are great. Great stirrup cay is a beach day with a decent BBQ. I have not been there since they have done all of the upgrades. When I was there in 2006 it was a nice relaxing place for the day. It is also a tender port. The Dawn stops in Costa Maya which brings you to my favorite destination, Maya Chan. Maya Chan is a wonderful all inclusive beach spot run by a great family. The food, drinks and staff are wonderful.

I have not been on the Pearl (yet) but was on the Jewel. Both the Jewel and the Dawn are great ships. The Pearl will have the Spinaker lounge up front on deck 12. This is a great relaxation spot during the day with amazing views. The Dawn does not have this.

The pool deck on the Pearl has more seating close to the pool where the Dwan has more tiers of seating further from the pool.

The Pearl has the great outdoors which is an outside buffet in the aft. The dawn uses this area for the kids pool. The Dawn has a more expansive atrium area with glass elevators. The pearl has more of a hotel lobby.

Both ships will be great, but I would give the Dawn the edge based on the itinerary.

Thanks for the reply. I was leaning toward Dawn based on itinerary, but was wondering about the ships. We've decided against the Dream, so it is one of these or no cruise. I'm worried no cruise will win. That would be sad. .

Because of the previously mentioned Spinnaker lounge and the Great Outdoors (excellent place for breakfast), I would take the Pearl every time. However, both are nice. The last time in Ocho Rios, we just walked downtown (docked in the old industrial area this time). We found the people extremely nice, and walked up to the Jerk Center for jerk pork and chicken jerk (a little jerk sauce goes a long way). Was great. We are real fans of the Pearl having been on her 5 times including two Panama Canal cruises.

Have been on both and think they are both great ships but I would give the nod to the Pearl because of the bowling and some other features that the Dawn doesn't have.

The time you are going is typically rainy. Costa Maya stops get bypassed sometimes due to wind.

Archived