How does Unlimited Soda Package work?

I know no one asked, but I just wanted to point out that I'm not going to be sharing with my GF as she does not drink soda. I just wanted to know if both of us need to buy the package, but I got the answer :) Thanks everyone!

Also, if people share, I personally, do not see a problem with it. I mean, even going to a burger king and buying a large coke for 3 or 4 dollars, it would take you more than 12 drinks to even get your moneys worth.

It amazes me that people who spend thousands of £/$ on a cruise then penny pinch to extremes. We buy the soda package for both of us. If you have more than 2 soda's a day, you are saving money, but that's not the point. The point is that when you are in the bar/restaraunt, or around the pool you can get the man to go and get you a nice fresh cold soda whenever you want. If you chose to shre a package, or pick up some old used cup, then thats up to you, but you are stealing and making things more costly for everyone who plays by the rules. If cash is a problem, then why not pick a cheap holiday, or drink water from the prominade cafe's. Do you pick an inside cabin and ask the people across the hall if you can sit on their balcony?.

It amazes me that people who spend thousands of £/$ on a cruise then penny pinch to extremes. We buy the soda package for both of us. If you have more than 2 soda's a day, you are saving money, but that's not the point. The point is that when you are in the bar/restaraunt, or around the pool you can get the man to go and get you a nice fresh cold soda whenever you want. If you chose to shre a package, or pick up some old used cup, then thats up to you, but you are stealing and making things more costly for everyone who plays by the rules. If cash is a problem, then why not pick a cheap holiday, or drink water from the prominade cafe's. Do you pick an inside cabin and ask the people across the hall if you can sit on their balcony?.

Bullseye!!!

If your sharing, and I'm not referring to a few sips here and there, your stealing, plain and simple, justify it any way you wish. As for bringing your own, really?, I'm gonna drag around a case of soda or a couple of large bottles to save a minimal amount when weighed against the cost of a vacation?, I think not.

Folks complain constantly about cruise lines nickel and diming them for extras, well, it seems passengers are worse than the lines, trying to save pennies by sharing or bringing thier own, bunch of cheapskates. Now, if money is an issue and it can be, then I say have 1 soda a day for $2 and drink water, ice tea, lemonade, fruit punch or coffee for free.

Lets remember those hard working folks on the ship deserve our business as well, a 15% tip on a soda feeds someones kid for a day. Then again, many feel put out by tipping. Then go camping.:D

I like sensible. Again, I don't see anything wrong with sharing. Royal Caribbean is not stupid. They have to know that passengers share the coke package. If they really think that they are loosing moolah, they would have changed the rules by now, just like they did the alcohol package from what I'm hearing. Altho, alcohol is much different and more costly than soda.

I say to each their own. Live and Let Live.. Sharing a freakin coke cup is not the end of the world. ;)

. As for bringing your own, really?, I'm gonna drag around a case of soda or a couple of large bottles to save a minimal amount when weighed against the cost of a vacation?, I think not.

Folks complain constantly about cruise lines nickel and diming them for extras, well, it seems passengers are worse than the lines, trying to save pennies by sharing or bringing thier own, bunch of cheapskates. Now, if money is an issue and it can be, then I say have 1 soda a day for $2 and drink water, ice tea, lemonade, fruit punch or coffee for free.

All of us make choices. We choose to stay near a grocery the night before a cruise and bring a limited amount of soft drinks onboard. We only drink a couple of servings a day. To me it's wasteful to spend 100 bucks on two servings of soft drink a day. With the extra 90 plus I don't spend on drink cups, we can dine in a specialty restaurant, take a beach shore excursion or the like. Also, for us we are able to go to diamond lounge in the evenings for drinks and wine.

In the dining rooms we drink iced tea or water. It's each persons business to make choices that work best for them. Most times for us, bringing our own limited amount of soft drink works for us. I cringe when I read people actually know how many minutes it is before you can fillerup again. That's way more soft drink, diet or otherwise, than anyone needs, health wise.

As children of folks raised in the depression, we were both taught not to be wasteful. Purchasing something that costs 100 for two when 10 dollars for two does just fine, is wasteful to us. We save when we can and we do spend when we want to. I think this is a personal decision each family has to make. I don't consider it being cheap, I just choose to spend my funds other ways.

Edited by internetwhiz

When it comes to sharing a soda package instead of buying one for each person, it really does come down to what your moral code is. For me, I have been taught that stealing is stealing and the amount is not really what matters - it is the deed. So maybe some of you feel that stealing something inexpensive from a huge corporation is an OK thing to do. So where do you draw the line? If it is OK to steal soda, is it OK to add an extra little item from the gift shop? I mean hey - you paid for one souvenir flashlight, why not take two? After all, they only cost $6.

Edited by cello56

I always get the soda package and my husband doesn't. I am sure he has taken a sip on occasion if my cup is sitting out on the desk, but NEVER have we gotten a soda with the intentions of sharing it or for him to drink. I do believe you buy a package for ONE person and anyone buying a package for one with the intentions of sharing it with someone else is cheating/stealing.

If you split your TV cable and shared it with you neighbor you could go to jail. If you bought 1 airline ticket with the intentions of having your wife sit on your lap for free, do you think you could get away with that? How about if you ordered all you can eat sushi for one and let someone else eat from your plate....I doubt the owners of that restaurant would let you get away with it.

The cruise lines give you plenty of choices of beverages that are included in your cruise ticket....there is really no excuse for stealing from them.

Everyone has their own moral standards, but, assuming that Royal Caribbean "knows" this is happening and they are OK with it is a lot of rationalizing something you know is wrong but you are trying to feel better about.

I've ordered the Soda Package Many times,

Somthing I've nnoticed that has happened SOMETIMES in MDR is that the waiter will give me two glasses (SP?) of coke one for myself & the famliy member sitting beside after the first night.

I've ordered the Soda Package Many times,

Somthing I've nnoticed that has happened SOMETIMES in MDR is that the waiter will give me two glasses (SP?) of coke one for myself & the famliy member sitting beside after the first night.

Ummmm, he is bringing you two glasses so he doesn't have to run and get you a refill during the rush of serving food. He isn't bringing you one to share!

Edited by Desertbelle

Ummmm, he is bringing you two glasses so he doesn't have to run and get you a refill during the rush of serving food. He isn't bringing you one to share!

This happened to me on the Allure. I had to complain after a couple of days of the table waiter doing this. I don't want to rush my first glass in order to drink the second glass before it goes flat.

This happened to me on the Allure. I had to complain after a couple of days of the table waiter doing this. I don't want to rush my first glass in order to drink the second glass before it goes flat.

Our last cruise was a back to back on the Mariner. On the first cruise the assistant waiter brought me two glasses to start each night and then a third just before dessert. But, on the second cruise, a different table and waiter/assistant waiter, he found the largest glass I have ever seen on a cruise, must have held 24-28 ounces or more, which I loved.

On yet another cruise I remember the waiter had a pitcher of my soda sitting on the sideboard and filled up my glass often....my preference.

I don't mind them trying to minimize their trips to get soda, which comes from a different area than water, ice tea, lemonade, etc....it seems they have to go to another area completely to get soda (perhaps the closest bar?)

I bought a soda package for DH & water package for me. I'm sure DH will drink one or two of my waters during the week so I may have to buy a soda here or there. When I drive to port, I usually carry on my own soda & water only because we take what we like not what the ship offers. DH prefers his Diet RC soda but he will have to settle for whatever the cola the ship has since we are flying in.

I bought a soda package for DH & water package for me. I'm sure DH will drink one or two of my waters during the week so I may have to buy a soda here or there. When I drive to port, I usually carry on my own soda & water only because we take what we like not what the ship offers. DH prefers his Diet RC soda but he will have to settle for whatever the cola the ship has since we are flying in.

Allure has the Coke Freestyle machines so maybe he will live dangerously and try a raspberry diet coke or even a cherry Fanta Zero.;):D

When it comes to sharing a soda package instead of buying one for each person, it really does come down to what your moral code is. For me, I have been taught that stealing is stealing and the amount is not really what matters - it is the deed. So maybe some of you feel that stealing something inexpensive from a huge corporation is an OK thing to do. So where do you draw the line? If it is OK to steal soda, is it OK to add an extra little item from the gift shop? I mean hey - you paid for one souvenir flashlight, why not take two? After all, they only cost $6.

I also feel that I buy the coke card package because I try to play by the rules in big and little things. I don't think RCI says bringing on soda and water is officially allowed, like bringing a bottle of wine in your carry-on is. People have just found they are not stopping the water and soda right now.

With what it costs for us to fly to Florida, stay at a hotel the night before the cruise, and then the cruise itself, we see this as part of the cost of the cruise. I also would feel guilty walking on with a carry-on full of pop and water, even though I understand that the people who do it see no reason for feeling this way.

I always get the soda package and my husband doesn't. I am sure he has taken a sip on occasion if my cup is sitting out on the desk, but NEVER have we gotten a soda with the intentions of sharing it or for him to drink. I do believe you buy a package for ONE person and anyone buying a package for one with the intentions of sharing it with someone else is cheating/stealing.

If you split your TV cable and shared it with you neighbor you could go to jail. If you bought 1 airline ticket with the intentions of having your wife sit on your lap for free, do you think you could get away with that? How about if you ordered all you can eat sushi for one and let someone else eat from your plate....I doubt the owners of that restaurant would let you get away with it.

The cruise lines give you plenty of choices of beverages that are included in your cruise ticket....there is really no excuse for stealing from them.

Everyone has their own moral standards, but, assuming that Royal Caribbean "knows" this is happening and they are OK with it is a lot of rationalizing something you know is wrong but you are trying to feel better about.

Please.. If your husband has taken a sip, even once or twice a day the length of your cruise, then you my dear, have done the same exact thing: SHARED.

I'm not trying to feel better or rationalize anything. Does it say on RCCL's policies where sharing is not allowed for the soda package? You'll probably come back and say, Per Person. So, if one of us buys the package, and the other drinks out of the cup, like your husband has, then you have done the same thing. I don't have to explain myself to you, and you don't owe me an explanation either. It's my business, but I feel the same way about theft and stealing, sharing or "sipping" or whatever the heck YOU call it, is still not stealing. I'm honestly a little tired of this.:rolleyes:

All of us make choices. We choose to stay near a grocery the night before a cruise and bring a limited amount of soft drinks onboard. We only drink a couple of servings a day. To me it's wasteful to spend 100 bucks on two servings of soft drink a day. With the extra 90 plus I don't spend on drink cups, we can dine in a specialty restaurant, take a beach shore excursion or the like. Also, for us we are able to go to diamond lounge in the evenings for drinks and wine.

In the dining rooms we drink iced tea or water. It's each persons business to make choices that work best for them. Most times for us, bringing our own limited amount of soft drink works for us. I cringe when I read people actually know how many minutes it is before you can fillerup again. That's way more soft drink, diet or otherwise, than anyone needs, health wise.

As children of folks raised in the depression, we were both taught not to be wasteful. Purchasing something that costs 100 for two when 10 dollars for two does just fine, is wasteful to us. We save when we can and we do spend when we want to. I think this is a personal decision each family has to make. I don't consider it being cheap, I just choose to spend my funds other ways.

Fair enough, well stated, my apologies for being critical of prioritizing your preferences. Until you walk in anothers shoes...............well, lets just say you made a good point. :cool:

Allure has the Coke Freestyle machines so maybe he will live dangerously and try a raspberry diet coke or even a cherry Fanta Zero.;):D

Some of the combinations I've read about sound awesome. I would buy a soda package myself but it makes my gut hurt so I usually stick with water and perhaps a little crystal light. No carbonation for me. I think I can convince DH to take a walk on the wild side & mix it up. I've seen him do it in the convenience store from time to time.:D

So here's one to let you "ethically" think about...

On day 2, we were heading off the ship in port and I had to check my bag for something. I put my cup down, checked my bag...and forgot my cup!! I didn't realize it until we got back on the ship and didn't find my cup in the room. I went down to Guest Serivces and explained I lost my cup - without checking my sea pass card they gave me a brand new cup. I thought to myself, "wow, I must look really trust worthy!" But it just goes to show - the revenue they make on the package for the week obviously doesn't equate to what they pay for the product. They make out quite fine and for us, it's about convenience.

I like getting the soda package because, as said previously, you get two drinks a day and it pays for itself. Plus, you do have to sign and TIP each time you get a soda whether its from the Freestyle machine or a bar.