Labadee, Haiti

cardamon

The CDC has placed Labadee, Haiti, RC"s private beach, on their malaria alert list. I just returned from cruising was rejected from donating blood because of this alert. I donate regularly every 8 weeks. Now I have to wait for 1 year before I can donate again. It would have been good to know prior to cruising: I would probably have stayed on the ship. It is my fault, never thought to check the CDC list prior to cruising, but RC could alert passengers of this change. Please be aware this is not the choice of the donor center. This is a CDC regulation used by all donor sites.

Yes, this has been this way for a number of years. Many have posted that they were not able to donate blood for a year after visiting Labadee. Have heard of other ports having the same restrictions, but can't remember what they are right now.

While it would nice for the cruise lines to let you know, I can see why they do not. It is really each and every travelers own responsibility to know what impacts each ports has to their individual needs. Just because it is a cruise doesn't mean it is just like staying at home.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...