Alaska Round Trip Vancouver, both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay

karlsselindh

It looks like Volendam, Zuiderdam, and Amsterdam are doing 7 day Alaska cruises roundtrip Vancouver through the 2013 season. From what I could tell, only Volendam and Zuiderdam visit both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. Amsterdam seems to go only to Glacier Bay (and not to Tracy Arm) early and late in the season, and goes only to Tracy Arm (but not Glacier Bay) during the middle of the summer. Why don't Amsterdam cruises go to both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay?

Check the itineraries to see if the Tracy Arm visit is listed as SC for service call or CO for cruising only. If it's a service call you wont actually go to see the glacier there as it's just to drop people off that take a boat excursion. At least that's what I've read from other people on the forums.

Hi,

There is a difference between ''visiting Tracy Arm'' ( which Amsterdam does and takes ~~ 5-6 hours ) and ''calling in Tracy Arm'' ( which Zuiderdam and Volendam do; they enter the channel leading into TracyArm, drop off people at a specific spot for local excursions taking them into TracyArm and returning to Juneau; then Zuiderdam / Volendam get back out and sail onward to Juneau ).This ''service call'' as they describe it takes about 1/2 hour, early morning,on the way from Vancouver to Juneau, shortly before the entrance to Gastineau channel and ~~ 2 hours after they pick up the Inside Passage pilot at Kake island.

Hope this clarifies your issue.

I don't know of any sailing visiting both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay., anymore than visiting both Hubbard & Glacier.

In terms of ''awesome-ness'', Glacier is superior, which takes nothing away from Tracy Arm, impressive in its own rights.

Happy sailing

Hi,

There is a difference between ''visiting Tracy Arm'' ( which Amsterdam does and takes ~~ 5-6 hours ) and ''calling in Tracy Arm'' ( which Zuiderdam and Volendam do; they enter the channel leading into TracyArm, drop off people at a specific spot for local excursions taking them into TracyArm and returning to Juneau; then Zuiderdam / Volendam get back out and sail onward to Juneau ).This ''service call'' as they describe it takes about 1/2 hour, early morning,on the way from Vancouver to Juneau, shortly before the entrance to Gastineau channel and ~~ 2 hours after they pick up the Inside Passage pilot at Kake island.

Hope this clarifies your issue.

I don't know of any sailing visiting both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay., anymore than visiting both Hubbard & Glacier.

In terms of ''awesome-ness'', Glacier is superior, which takes nothing away from Tracy Arm, impressive in its own rights.

Happy sailing

There are sailings that do both - we did Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay a few years ago on the Volendam. I think it depends on which month as earlier in the season the ships cannot get up into Tracy Arm. We did it in September.

When we did Zuiderdam last summer, Tracy Arm was marked as SC. We did the excursion up Tracy Arm and arrived in Juneau later that afternoon.

The excursion was beautiful, especially since we've never seen anything like it. Glad we did it, but I wouldn't see the need to do it again.

Glacier Bay was spectacular. Would definately do a cruise that visited there again. Next trip, we'll do one that goes to Hubbard.

When we did Zuiderdam last summer, Tracy Arm was marked as SC. We did the excursion up Tracy Arm and arrived in Juneau later that afternoon.

The excursion was beautiful, especially since we've never seen anything like it. Glad we did it, but I wouldn't see the need to do it again.

Glacier Bay was spectacular. Would definately do a cruise that visited there again. Next trip, we'll do one that goes to Hubbard.

That was our schedule on Zuiderdam, too. I'm glad we saw both, and I agree that Glacier Bay was the more spectacular day. One good thing about a schedule that has two glacier days is that if you get "liquid sunshine" on one of the days, you can still hope for good weather on the other day.

I wonder if missing Glacier Bay on some itineraries is because the Park Service wants to limit the number of ships that go there. I think somebody made that comment a while back, but I don't remember the discussion beyond that remark.

There are sailings that do both - we did Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay a few years ago on the Volendam. I think it depends on which month as earlier in the season the ships cannot get up into Tracy Arm. We did it in September.

This is no longer the case. The Volendam and Zuiderdam only make half hour service calls to drop off those passengers who book the cruise line add-on excursion. Early and late sailings do not offer the add-on excursion. The only way to see Tracy Arm on the Volendam and Zuiderdam is to book the add-on excursion during the weeks/months it is offered.

This is no longer the case. The Volendam and Zuiderdam only make half hour service calls to drop off those passengers who book the cruise line add-on excursion. Early and late sailings do not offer the add-on excursion. The only way to see Tracy Arm on the Volendam and Zuiderdam is to book the add-on excursion during the weeks/months it is offered.

I'm sure this is a better deal for HAL. They don't waste the fuel and time to navigate Tracy Arm (and worry about weather), and they get to Juneau earlier and have a longer stay in port. Plus, they are picking up a few bucks from people who do the excursion.

I'm sure this is a better deal for HAL. They don't waste the fuel and time to navigate Tracy Arm (and worry about weather), and they get to Juneau earlier and have a longer stay in port. Plus, they are picking up a few bucks from people who do the excursion.

Good points. When HAL did offer the Tracy Arm transit on the Volendam and the Zuiderdam, the ships rarely made it to the glacier and the passengers were unhappy. You really need to allow one day for Tracy Arm and then go to Juneau the following day. That is what HAL has done on its 14 day itinerary. That way the ships have more time in Tracy Arm for the transit and they get the full day in Juneau. For any ship going into Tracy Arm, one should check the port schedule to see how long your ship has alloted for the transit into Tracy Arm. I have seen times as low as 2.5 hours and as many as 7. Big difference how far one can go between those times.

I booked the Zuiderdam for August 2014 today.

I was thinking about doing the excursion up Tracy Arm. We had done Alaska with Glacier Bay both times.

Did you have any time in Juneau after this tour?

Can you remember what the cost was?

Can you tell alittle about this tour?

I believe it was close to $500 for the two of us. You're trip is over a year away, so prices may go up in that time. But, if it's something you really want to do, you've got time to save!!

We did it because I was sure it was the only cruise to Alaska that we'd ever take and it was DH's 60th birthday gift. But, I loved Alaska and we'll cruise there again.

The catamaran they take you on is nice, place to sit inside with an outside upper and lower deck. We got to see 2 glaciers while we were there and it was interesting to see all the chunks of beautiful blue ice. Some pretty waterfalls along the way, beautiful scenery. As we were coming out to head to Juneau, "The World" was entering. First time I've ever seen it.

We had beautiful weather on the excursion but by the time we got to Juneau it was misting. But, we still had time to sightsee and visit shops. Also went up the tram and walked around, but, due to the weather couldn't see very much.

I was thinking about doing the excursion up Tracy Arm. We had done Alaska with Glacier Bay both times.

I highly recommend the tour if you love wilderness, scenery, and being on the water in small boats. I did the tour with an independent vendor out of Juneau. It is an amazing tour. The month you are going, can determine if you will actually be able to take this tour. It does not run in early May or later in September. We were there in mid-June and literally crunched our way through the ice for a good part of the tour. It was amazing. We have been to Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier, College Fjords and Tracy Arm. Glacier Bay was our favorite area and Tracy Arm was a close second. We loved it!!!

You will have to check your full itenerary. I am crusing in May and have signed up for the excursion. Hopefully the weather/ice will be ok and we will be able to go.

My excursion boards at approx 10 am and last 5.5-6 hours. So we will get to Juneau around 4. The ship is in port until 10:30 so I will definatley have time in port. The question I am still researching is what will be open and how late will they be open. I will probably do some shopping and the Tram (if possible).

Archived