Ship Attire Ideas for a Hot Humid cruise, please

mouseterd1

Clothes, Clothes, Clothes - what to wear - well something!!!...I can hear you all saying. LOL

I am nearly a newbie to cruising life and am booked Ft Lauderdale to Vancouver May 4. Have not cruised that hot/humid of a climate before....so questions as to dress, both female and male would be appreciated.

What would you suggest to be the most must have/s useful clothes items, the just in case/s ones and what would typical male/female casual smart dining room attire be like? - long sleeves, short sleeves, length of pants, capris, long shorts for men. I understand and get the formal night dining dress rules, but I'm having trouble as the other dress is not so clear to me until immersed and aboard. In other words I don't want to have lots of the wrong type of clothes with me as this cruise has lots of sea days.

I realize this question is not very exciting and likely has been asked and answered numerous times....so thanking each of you in advance for your insights and comments. Packing is NOT my forte! (have loads of clothes but only want one case each and don't want to cram and over pack either). :eek:

Day time wear - sundresses, shorts and tees, bathing suits and coverups, sandals, flip flops, flats, etc..

Evening wear besides formal nights, which are self-explanatary: Women can wear capris, nicer tees, sandals, flats, heels, long casual pants and blouses, dresses. Men usually wear khakis/chinos, closed toe shoes, and golf shirts or button up ss shirts. Flip flops, shorts and tank tops are "not allowed" in dining room. The parenthesis is because women have so much leeway in dressing, as long as you don't wear shorts and rubber flip flops it will be fine. Nicer sandals/flip flops are OK. Bring a wrap because the MDR and theaters are sometimes chilly.

We did a similar itinerary last year. I spent all this time looking for cute capris and t's, and sundresses and I took 1 pair of shorts and a tank top (to wear zip linning). It got so hot and humid going through the canal that I ended up wear those horrible shorts and tank over and over (after laundering). :( I think a lot of people were thinking the same way because we all looked a bit wilted!! It was funny and one of the best cruises we have ever taken. That being said, lots of people wore their swimming suits with coverups and shorts during the day. In the evening I had a few pair of very light weight silky pants that I wore with little cap sleeved silk tops. I saw lots of sundresses in the evening. I tend to "puff" up a bit in the humidity and I didn't want to wear anything that was too constrictive. I now try not to over think it and don't worry about wearing the same thing often. Have a great cruise!!!

I always pack several cotton sun dresses, they are cool comfortable and can be dressed up for dinner with some cute flats and jewelry on casual nights. I wear cotton skirts to the pool, lunch and to shore over my swim suit. :)

In Aruba they sell these cotton sun dresses that are basically like lightweight tents--sleeveless, scoop-necked. You can wash them out by hand in your sink and they dry very quickly if you hang them up in the sun on your balcony. No ironing needed. They are also attractive enough to be worn in the dining room if you are so inclined.

I have four such sundresses and they are the absolute best thing to wear in hot weather. Bra, panties, flip flops (fancy flip flops) and a sundress are really all you need on a hot day. Oh wait a minute, I would also take a UV parasol. You can buy them on e-bay and they are lots of fun. If you are more practical, you can always use an umbrella that affords UV protection and have it do double duty for both sun and rain. Not, however, as much fun

Make sure to bring something warmer as well. Although it will be hot during the day, you will be surprised how cool it can get when the ship is at sea. Not winter weight, but bring a comfortable jacket and something you can pull over your shirt if needed. You are travelling in May so it could be quite cool out on the ocean at night.

I was hesitant to post the clothes question, but each of you provided valuable information. Being not sure what was what (until aboard and too late) and over thinking in bed at night!!! - after reading what you wrote, I KNOW I can save suitcase weight by leaving the heavier long pant summer items at home....heck, we were way TOO hot when we spent the month of December in Costa Rica a few years back. So all is good with me now....I get to take things out of the suitcase!! I was hoping you'd say that for MDR breakfast/lunches, nice looking shorts and a presentable top could be worn....that sure helps the suitcase weight lots, as I was thinking only long pants.

But one more question - around the ship and ashore would my hubby wear clean new blue jean shorts? or would they just be too heavy and too hot?

And I will look for those Aruba light weight dresses.

Once again, I thank you your time to read and comment.

Can hardly wait to be boarding - two weeks today !!! Hee Yaw

Marilynn

You know what's perfect for this type of cruise, particularly for men? "Convertible" or zip-off pants. They are lightweight, you can rinse them out in the sink, hang them up and they're dry in the morning, and you can zip the pants legs off or on. One light piece of clothing, two uses: http://m.llbean.com/mt/www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63069?page=tropic-weight-cargo-pants-zip-off&subrnd=0

Beware of one thing. If you've been out on the hot deck all day or you've been in port and you go into the ship, be ready for it to feel like a refrigerator...it is air conditioned and you will notice the difference between hot and humid and cold and dry immediately. If that's an issue for you, a lightweight sweater or jacket would be a good thing to have along...

I was hesitant to post the clothes question, but each of you provided valuable information. Being not sure what was what (until aboard and too late) and over thinking in bed at night!!! - after reading what you wrote, I KNOW I can save suitcase weight by leaving the heavier long pant summer items at home....heck, we were way TOO hot when we spent the month of December in Costa Rica a few years back. So all is good with me now....I get to take things out of the suitcase!! I was hoping you'd say that for MDR breakfast/lunches, nice looking shorts and a presentable top could be worn....that sure helps the suitcase weight lots, as I was thinking only long pants.

But one more question - around the ship and ashore would my hubby wear clean new blue jean shorts? or would they just be too heavy and too hot?

And I will look for those Aruba light weight dresses.

Once again, I thank you your time to read and comment.

Can hardly wait to be boarding - two weeks today !!! Hee Yaw

Marilynn

Denim shorts would be very uncomfortable on this cruise. The best material would be cotton. It allows the skin to breathe. My hubby wore cotton blend shorts with tees during the day. He would walk out on deck and still need a shower after five minutes. :D

I would also like to advise some layers as it could get cool going up the coast to Vancouver.

I second this suggestion. It was 68 F in San Francisco today, and it will feel colder than that on a ship at sea. I usually bring a nice sweat pants outfit (think BCBG) or some jeans and a jacket for the last 2 or 3 sea days.

Beware of one thing. If you've been out on the hot deck all day or you've been in port and you go into the ship, be ready for it to feel like a refrigerator...it is air conditioned and you will notice the difference between hot and humid and cold and dry immediately. If that's an issue for you, a lightweight sweater or jacket would be a good thing to have along...

So TRUE! At times it can feel like a sauna on deck ... inside, you could hang meat!

LuLu

~~~~

My hubby practically lives in tropical shirts, except when working on the cars or going to work (he does wear a suit to work). Those shirts are perfect for a cruise, especially if they're made of rayon or cotton. For me, sundresses, or some lightweight shirts and a gauzy skirt are great for smart casual dinners.

I don't bring jeans unless I'm on an Alaskan cruise or for the first couple/last couple of days for the Pacific crossing on our Hawaiian cruises. For those cruises (and I would say for the SF to Vanouver leg for your cruise), yoga pants, leggings, a pullover sweater would be good for women.

I agree. I gave up on sleeveless tops this past winter...it was just too chilly, and in the Princess Theater, it can be downright cold.

I agree. I gave up on sleeveless tops this past winter...it was just too chilly, and in the Princess Theater, it can be downright cold.

That's the truth! On a cruise in January I saw two women going into Princess Theatre who were wearing sweaters & long pants PLUS were carrying blankets from their cabin.

LuLu

~~~~

Yes, it can get chilly especially as you progress up to vancouver....the theatre can be cold too...........we took Mexican Riveria cruise from LA & the last two days of cruise were chilly....(note the pic) HA HA.......

10018_4570490665423_1138420638_n.jpg.9da8cfaf5948914d2bc48a1f43291f3a.jpg

On my Panama Canal cruise, the "uniform of the day" was T-shirts & shorts/trunks. Evening attire was dockers & short sleeved shirts. Formal night dinner it was slacks, long sleeved shirt and tie.

Archived