Back-to-back cruise info needed

gillsjottings

Hi,

We are new to Celebrity and planning back-to-back cruises on Equinox in Europe in 2014. The change-over port will be Istanbul.

From the information I have been able to source, I gather that the way it works is that the B2Bers will be gathered in a designated area at about 10am?, disembark together, go through customs and then board again. Is this right? If anyone has been through this, especially in Istanbul, I would be really grateful for any info, especially regarding how long it takes.

My main concern is whether, as change-over day is our only full day in Istanbul, there will be time to do a private tour after we have re-embarked? We sail-away at 5pm.

Any info regarding back-to-back cruises and change-over in Istanbul would be much appreciated

In general, the only time you are gathered is a back to back in a USA port.

You will treat Istanbul like any port day. You can get off and on the ship as you please.

For you it will be a regular day in port.

Enjoy!

Keith

Hope someone who has done a B2B out of Istanbul responds specifically, but we've done one out of Rome and another in Barcelona. Keith is right - they were just like another port.Add a tour and enjoy.

We got our new cards the evening before. Our OBC was closed out for the cruise before. I think we had to go to the Guest Relations to swipe our chargecard once. The other cruise didn't require that.

We had the same SR so no switching. If you do move. You pack up your BR and stuff not hanging up and your steward rolls it all over with you clothes hanging. We told the steward to get to our SR later since he had a big day on the turnover.

For dining, on one cruise we asked to move to a window table but could we keep the same waitstaff. They accomodated that. On the other cruise, we'd moved from an 8-person table because one couple came in late and would order a second entree after eating the first which made dining way too long. Moved to a 4-person. We were asked if we wanted the same table and said yes. Got a different waitstaff which was OK.

Love those B2B!

Den

Edited by Denny01

We did a btb on X this time last year. Ended & started in Barcelona. ALL of the btb ers had to meet in the movie room for Spanish customs and then we could go on our own. It was around 10:30 before we could do anything on our own. Even those who got the new sea pass the night before had to do the group custom thing.

Did a back to back which ended this time last year ( Barcelona) and although many of the 200 met as a group as mentioned above we were given the option of leaving the ship before 8:30 am and not allowed back on until regular embarkation time. This is what we did so that we could enjoy our day in the city. We were given our seapasses the day before and needed to have new pics taken when we reboarded.

• 2 years later...
I wanted to add we have done several back to backs in Istanbul but just not on Celebrity and it was as they way I described. You can get on and off the ship as you please.

Keith

Hi Keith, do you recall if you needed a visa on your B2B if you were continuing on the same ship? we are doing two 7 night cruises, we board in Athens and disembark in Rome but the ship is embarking and disembarking at Istanbul and not sure if we need a visa as we are continuing on the ship.

Hi Keith, do you recall if you needed a visa on your B2B if you were continuing on the same ship? we are doing two 7 night cruises, we board in Athens and disembark in Rome but the ship is embarking and disembarking at Istanbul and not sure if we need a visa as we are continuing on the ship.

Not Keith, but I can confirm that if you embark in Istanbul then you will need a visa. The regulations have changed since 2013/2014 and you would be well advised to apply online. The fees vary dependant on your own nationality.

EDITED: just realised this is a B2B, so in fact I think that you do not need a visa afterall as cruise ship port of calls are exempt. Hope someone with more recent experience responds though!

Edited by dutchclogs

Rules have changed in terms of those embarking and disembarking in Istanbul now need to get an on line visa but I do not see you needing a visa since only your cruise end and then starts again in Istanbul. I am sure you will not need one. Should you need one you could just get it on line and on the cruise ship. It's very easy process like getting an Australia ETA. But I do not believe you will need it.

Should you need one you would just use this web site.

https://www.official-esta.com

We were on a cruise when rules changed and we were disembarking from Istanbul so just used the service while on the ship.

Keith

Rules have changed in terms of those embarking and disembarking in Istanbul now need to get an on line visa but I do not see you needing a visa since only your cruise end and then starts again in Istanbul. I am sure you will not need one. Should you need one you could just get it on line and on the cruise ship. It's very easy process like getting an Australia ETA. But I do not believe you will need it.

Should you need one you would just use this web site.

https://www.official-esta.com

We were on a cruise when rules changed and we were disembarking from Istanbul so just used the service while on the ship.

Keith

Great, thanks Keith for the quick reply. We were of the same opinion but thought we would check. As you say we can always do it online onboard if we need to.

Thanks also Dutchclogs for your reply also.