New Cagney's Menu

Tideone

Well, that will be great for me. I plan on eating there twice during my November cruise. I'll report back, if they are full or not.

This is my point of view. I dined at least twice (during the 7 day itinerary) at Cagney's on my last 5 cruises. Based on the revised menu and increased price, I will no longer be dining there. It has to be obvious that if there are many more people like me and it seems from the feedback there are, attendance and revenue will rapidly decline. That in turn will most likely trigger NCL to make changes, whether it is to the menu, the price, the restaurant itself or all three. Remember the Tex Mex restaurant?

I'm afraid that NCL is going to continue to raise ala carte dining prices while modifying the menus (cheapening) which is what brought me to NCL in the first place. Bring a new product to market that no one has and price it right and it will SELL! Take that product and push it past the point of it's price/performance, and people walk away. That may ultimately cost my loyalty to NCL and I may have to wander back towards the other lines.:(

Edited by Warm-Water Diver

I really don't understand why people think they are cheapening the menu. It is clear the cost went up. The beef from the last 2 years was the cheapest cut of angus anyone could buy and Cagney's was a ghost town on my last 6 cruises until the Breakaway where is was increasing full every night of the cruise as people stopped resisting change and gave the new menu a try. No it is not Ruth Crist and never was but new beef can no longer be used to fix holes in your shoes.

This thread for the most part a lot like the bathroom discussions of the Epic. Everyone who never tried them were complaining how awful they were. They are not the best idea but you read very few complaints anymore from those cruising on the Epic every week. Even though I ordered it I am glad to say goodbye to the worst lobster bisque I ever had. Not terrible but still the worst I have eaten. Thankfully they finally upgraded the beef the most important thing at any steakhouse.

The final thought the meal at Cagney's was far better then the $35 meal at Ocean Blue. Plan on stopping in the MDR or Garden Cafe after to fill up unless you spend another $20-$30 at the Raw Bar first. Entrees were all appetizer sized and you can't have multiple appetizers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Edited by time2cruise1

This thread for the most part a lot like the bathroom discussions of the Epic. Everyone who never tried them were complaining how awful they were.

I disagree. I've been on the Epic and personally I had no issues or complaints with the bathrooms. I see it as an apple versus watermelon in terms of arguments. The bathroom is just a small part of the overall room and layout of the ship. FREESTYLE ala carte specialty dining is a marquee of NCL and is present on every NCL ship. It was one of the main things that differentiated the NCL brand from the rest of the lines and they more or less "pioneered" that concept. I see that as a much bigger issue (watermelon) for loyal cruisers like myself and NCL going forward.

It is an opinion and I share the same view that the menu changes are "cheapening." Everyone knows that lobster, oysters and select cuts of filet mignon are expensive no matter where you go and dine. The fact is NCL cut the filet portion down to 8 oz and altogether got rid of many menu items such as oysters, lobster bisque etc. I also don't agree with you that the bisque and previous offered filets did not taste well. I sailed Epic twice in recent years and had the 12oz filet, oysters, and lobster bisque: all were Excellent and we have a lot of fine steak houses in the Chicago area. Maybe not Morton's quality but definitely not OUTBACK! They did 3 things altogether at the same time: My opinion is simply that the menu change in addition to the increase in nominal charge with the added penalty of $10 surcharge for additional entree (Yes my wife has often ordered 2 entrees since she doesn't prefer salads and appetizers/soups) has pushed the value at least for Cagney's past the line. My fear is this will also translate to similar changes to Le Bistro, Teppenyaki and my other favorite specialty restaurants at which point will remove the whole reason I came to NCL: freestyle specialty restaurant dining!

Edited by Warm-Water Diver

I think the new menu looks quite interesting, and am looking forward

to trying something new.

Wondering if anyone has tried the bison strip.

My wife did and enjoyed it greatly.

I really enjoyed the new menu choices on my recent cruise. I found the steak to be of much higher quality and I finally had some decent salad and appetizer choices compared to the old menu. It was an excellent decision by NCL to do this. I can't wait for them to do the same to Le Bistro someday. I also find that menu to be quite tiresome and badly in need of revamping.

One of the funny things that happened to me at East Meets West last week (Sun's Cagney's) that I had forgotten about until now -

When we were seated, I was given the 'old' menu and my husband was given the 'new' menu. I called the hostess over and told her I had the wrong menu. I had to convince her that it was not the current menu. She apparently had just started working at the steak house that week and didn't even know that the menu had been changed.

You have to love the things you learn at cruise critic. Had I not been following the thread here I might have ordered the oysters. Could have gotten ugly. :rolleyes:

Edited by MS52

I disagree. I've been on the Epic and personally I had no issues or complaints with the bathrooms. I see it as an apple versus watermelon in terms of arguments. The bathroom is just a small part of the overall room and layout of the ship. FREESTYLE ala carte specialty dining is a marquee of NCL and is present on every NCL ship. It was one of the main things that differentiated the NCL brand from the rest of the lines and they more or less "pioneered" that concept. I see that as a much bigger issue (watermelon) for loyal cruisers like myself and NCL going forward.

It is an opinion and I share the same view that the menu changes are "cheapening." Everyone knows that lobster, oysters and select cuts of filet mignon are expensive no matter where you go and dine. The fact is NCL cut the filet portion down to 8 oz and altogether got rid of many menu items such as oysters, lobster bisque etc. I also don't agree with you that the bisque and previous offered filets did not taste well. I sailed Epic twice in recent years and had the 12oz filet, oysters, and lobster bisque: all were Excellent and we have a lot of fine steak houses in the Chicago area. Maybe not Morton's quality but definitely not OUTBACK! They did 3 things altogether at the same time: My opinion is simply that the menu change in addition to the increase in nominal charge with the added penalty of $10 surcharge for additional entree (Yes my wife has often ordered 2 entrees since she doesn't prefer salads and appetizers/soups) has pushed the value at least for Cagney's past the line. My fear is this will also translate to similar changes to Le Bistro, Teppenyaki and my other favorite specialty restaurants at which point will remove the whole reason I came to NCL: freestyle specialty restaurant dining!

When you find any lobster in Cagney's old lobster bisque please let me know. :D You can add the lobster and shrimp to any steak for $10. Anyone remember the old colossal shrimp now getting rid of them a couple years ago was a true cheapening of the menu. I think they were as big as today's lobster tails.

When you find any lobster in Cagney's old lobster bisque please let me know. :D You can add the lobster and shrimp to any steak for $10. Anyone remember the old colossal shrimp now getting rid of them a couple years ago was a true cheapening of the menu. I think they were as big as today's lobster tails.

I remember small pieces of lobster in the bisque. Keep in mind that this soup is not made to be loaded with chunks of lobster etc. If you've ever had lobster bisque at an upscale steak house, it would resemble exactly what I was served on the NCL ships and I had it many times over many years.

I do remember the colossal shrimp and they used to serve 6 huge ones in the cocktail glass, not 3 as is served now. Does anyone else really believe that these are not examples of "cheapening" or should I use a more politically correct term like "modernizing the menu." If so I have some property to sell ya! :)

Here's another analogy: Remember when Mercedes Benz in years gone by let quality fall through the floor while raising MSRP and relying on the old mentality that "it's still a Benz and customers will still buy it?" Well they eventually saw the error in their decisions and turned it around although it took many years. Same thing here. Companies make bad decisions everyday and virtually no company stays at the top versus their competitors forever. But the best companies listen to their customers and react quickly to bad choices which allows them to remain viable for a substantially longer period, and that is more or less my point. I know NCL personnel cruise these boards and if enough customers provide the right feedback NCL may make some changes. I just want to point out that I'm not here to provide negative feedback. I'm trying to provide an honest opinion in the hopes that specialty dining and the Freestyle cruising experience remains an excellent choice for many years to come

This is my point of view. I dined at least twice (during the 7 day itinerary) at Cagney's on my last 5 cruises. Based on the revised menu and increased price, I will no longer be dining there. It has to be obvious that if there are many more people like me and it seems from the feedback there are, attendance and revenue will rapidly decline. That in turn will most likely trigger NCL to make changes, whether it is to the menu, the price, the restaurant itself or all three. Remember the Tex Mex restaurant?

I'm afraid that NCL is going to continue to raise ala carte dining prices while modifying the menus (cheapening) which is what brought me to NCL in the first place. Bring a new product to market that no one has and price it right and it will SELL! Take that product and push it past the point of it's price/performance, and people walk away. That may ultimately cost my loyalty to NCL and I may have to wander back towards the other lines.:(

You might want to try Celebrity, their food is very, very good.

I dined at Cagney's twice during my last NCL cruise and both times it was packed and I thought the food was very good. Was on the same lines of Ruth's Chris or Mortons, no - but still good. I didn't think $25 was too high nor do I think $30 is out of line for what you can get. But that is just me. I eat the small filet and to be quite honest, I have no problem with it being a little smaller, because it is now more in line (even though still larger) with what an average serving size is. If the new menu doesn't have something that I liked before or a favorite, then I will just get something else....I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Edited by NLH Arizona

You might want to try Celebrity, their food is very, very good.

I agree with you on this. Sailed at least twice and their food is of very high quality. Holland was also close to being "on par" with Celebrity although it's been quite awhile since I've been on either line.

The thing you get with these lines which you don't quite get with NCL is the regimented main seating dinner times (not when you want and where you want to dine) and both have rather "upscale" dress requirements. No other line is as laid back as NCL when it comes to dress-code and when/where to eat. That's the beauty of FREESTYLE DINING!

I agree with you on this. Sailed at least twice and their food is of very high quality. Holland was also close to being "on par" with Celebrity although it's been quite awhile since I've been on either line.

The thing you get with these lines which you don't quite get with NCL is the regimented main seating dinner times (not when you want and where you want to dine) and both have rather "upscale" dress requirements. No other line is as laid back as NCL when it comes to dress-code and when/where to eat. That's the beauty of FREESTYLE DINING!

Well actually on Celebrity, you can do (I think it is called) select dining. You dine when you like, no fixed times. Also, there are alternatives where you can dress more casually, khakis and polo shirt, etc. and those are the alternative restaurants. You can also dress very casual if you wanted to eat at the buffet. So if you don't want to dress up, you don't have to. If you want to eat when you want, you can do it.

Absolutely! Personally, I like being able to choose when I want to dine at the spur of the moment. I've lived with regimented times, but I really enjoy not having to conform to them even better. :D On our upcoming 7-day cruise, we only have two reserved meals and two reserved excursions. We'll additionally have a couple of reserved spa treatments once we're aboard. Other than that, we intend to be as freestyle as possible.

DML

I dined at Cagney's twice during my last NCL cruise and both times it was packed and I thought the food was very good. Was on the same lines of Ruth's Chris or Mortons, no - but still good. I didn't think $25 was too high nor do I think $30 is out of line for what you can get. But that is just me. I eat the small filet and to be quite honest, I have no problem with it being a little smaller, because it is now more in line (even though still larger) with what an average service size is. If the new menu doesn't have something that I liked before or a favorite, then I will just get something else....I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I have to agree 100% with you. The funny thing when the changes were announced but no menus yet most keep hoping the new menu would replace the nearly 100% seafood appetizers with non seafood appetizers. They did that and now the hue and cry from the other side.

Try it you may really like it. I know the 14 of us were skeptical and turned out very pleased. Does if justify a price increase that is open to debate but the new menu is closer to being what worth what paid then the old menu at $25 the last couple years.

I remember when the Bistro was $5 now that was value :D On the other hand The Palm Tree Restaurant on the Seaward, NCL's first specialty dining venue was $70 in 1989.

Edited by time2cruise1

I have to agree 100% with you. The funny thing when the changes were announced but no menus yet most keep hoping the new menu would replace the nearly 100% seafood appetizers with non seafood appetizers. They did that and now the hue and cry from the other side.

I can't argue that, Jim. To someone who has seafood allergies, this menu is much friendlier. But you'll never be able to please everyone. It's just not possible.

DML

Try it you may really like it. I know the 14 of us were skeptical and turned out very pleased. Does if justify a price increase that is open to debate but the new menu is closer to being what worth what paid then the old menu at $25 the last couple years.

I remember when the Bistro was $5 now that was value :D On the other hand The Palm Tree Restaurant on the Seaward, NCL's first specialty dining venue was $70 in 1989.

I think it is so funny that when someone comes on here and complains that a port was changed or missed, they are blasted and told that the cruise line can make changes and they should just deal with it. But when it comes to a menu, people are up in arms. Why is one different than the other. Shouldn't they just do what they advised the ones who complained about the ports changes....just deal with it. When you think about it, this is not a life changing event, it is just a menu.

I was on the Epic in April with my fiance, we ate at Cagney's and had a very mixed experience. They had just started the new menu either our cruise or a week or 2 before. We ordered the gratin potatoes...ice cold. Replaced them with garlic mashed which were quite good. The manager said he had several similar complaints that night. I had the ribeye. Cooked perfect, good flavor, I was satisfied. She had the NY Strip, it was cooked to the right temp, but the meat was horrible. Close to half of it was grissle & fat. We ended up getting her meal comped. We are doing the epic again in February (probably), not sure if we'll do Cagney's or not. Service wise, between our server and the manager, it was as good as any nice restaurant on land, food wise, not so much. Hopefully they'll get the kinks ironed out.

I think it is so funny that when someone comes on here and complains that a port was changed or missed, they are blasted and told that the cruise line can make changes and they should just deal with it. But when it comes to a menu, people are up in arms. Why is one different than the other. Shouldn't they just do what they advised the ones who complained about the ports changes....just deal with it. When you think about it, this is not a life changing event, it is just a menu.

When a port is skipped, it's usually due to something like weather, something bad happening at the port, or other non-foreseeable items. Even if, heavens forbid, they have to cancel a port for several months, due to something like a tsunami or earthquake, it's not something they could have foreseen and avoided. What else can anyone do BUT suck that up? NCL and passengers both. If NCL doesn't pull in, the port loses money, but NCL may lose money as well. They have to refund all the excursions people can't take, and there's no saying those people will spend the same amount of money aboard the ship NCL would have made from their booked excursions. If they have to cancel a port the cruise line OWNS, they lose even more by not pulling in, since they own everything you would do there.

I agree with you up to a point. Sitting on here and complaining won't help anything, to be sure, but I fully endorse what those complaining are doing otherwise. Voting with your pocketbook affects the bottom line and makes the cruise line question what they see in the numbers. NCL will follow the bottom line. If enough people avoid Cagney's because of the change, they'll start playing with the menu to try and draw some back or drop the price again...or both. They WILL gain some people with this change, and they WILL lose some. It's the nature of the beast that everyone WANTS to believe their side outnumbers the other, but really...only the numbers NCL sees in the end can answer that.

DML

If you read the Cruise Critic boards for those two lines (and for that matter pretty much every large ship mass market line) you're going to see complaints similar to what you see here...that the quality of the food has declined.

Opinions of food based on years-old experiences aren't very useful, whether you're talking about cruise lines or land-based restaurants. Chefs change, menus change, economics pressures restaurants to remain profitable and ingredient quality is lowered. Reviews of food have to be current to be meaningful.

I remember when food on NCL was better than it is now, and I remember when it was worse than it is now. Neither the better or worse times are of the slightest relevance today.

Edited by njhorseman

When a port is skipped, it's usually due to something like weather, something bad happening at the port, or other non-foreseeable items. Even if, heavens forbid, they have to cancel a port for several months, due to something like a tsunami or earthquake, it's not something they could have foreseen and avoided. What else can anyone do BUT suck that up? NCL and passengers both. If NCL doesn't pull in, the port loses money, but NCL may lose money as well. They have to refund all the excursions people can't take, and there's no saying those people will spend the same amount of money aboard the ship NCL would have made from their booked excursions. If they have to cancel a port the cruise line OWNS, they lose even more by not pulling in, since they own everything you would do there.

I agree with you up to a point. Sitting on here and complaining won't help anything, to be sure, but I fully endorse what those complaining are doing otherwise. Voting with your pocketbook affects the bottom line and makes the cruise line question what they see in the numbers. NCL will follow the bottom line. If enough people avoid Cagney's because of the change, they'll start playing with the menu to try and draw some back or drop the price again...or both. They WILL gain some people with this change, and they WILL lose some. It's the nature of the beast that everyone WANTS to believe their side outnumbers the other, but really...only the numbers NCL sees in the end can answer that.

DML

A change is a change (be it a menu changes, change of port, cruise cancelled because of a charter, etc.), it doesn't matter why. If those that are complaining about a menu change, should be a little more sympathetic to those that complain about other "changes".

I remember small pieces of lobster in the bisque. Keep in mind that this soup is not made to be loaded with chunks of lobster etc. If you've ever had lobster bisque at an upscale steak house, it would resemble exactly what I was served on the NCL ships and I had it many times over many years.

Well rather then a lump of gelatinous material lobster bisque should have lobster like the bowl I had in Key West and not an upscale steak house

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368829863.707009.jpg.1f03468741d7e4b2f269cb206653d04a.jpg

DML

DML. I'm glad someone understands what I've been posting on this thread. I find it amusing that I frequent lots and lots of forums on the internet and they are always meant to chat, discuss, debate whatever the subject and it's always recommended to provide your personal opinion. It's amusing but I find that if you post something here on Cruise Critic that isn't positive or is somehow seen as "complaining", you get nothing but criticism.

I agree 100% with your feedback which is why I bothered to post here as well. NCL reads these boards and when I'm on-board Breakaway I won't patron Cagney's. That is my right (and my pocketbook) whether good bad or indifferent and if there are significant other cruisers that feel like I do (and judging by this thread there are!), this will have an impact. I have no doubt that NCL will monitor the attendance and revenue generated from Cagney's and all of it's other venues and will make changes as appropriate. That is what companies do. I'll state this one more time: No company is perfect and they all make mistakes from time to time. For all the other posters who don't understand our opinions (the loyal NCL fans that don't appreciate the changes), well that's all good too I guess. They can be the only ones that end up dining in Cagney's, as that is also their right.

Nothing more to say on this one (at least from me), time to move on....

DML. I'm glad someone understands what I've been posting on this thread. I find it amusing that I frequent lots and lots of forums on the internet and they are always meant to chat, discuss, debate whatever the subject and it's always recommended to provide your personal opinion. It's amusing but I find that if you post something here on Cruise Critic that isn't positive or is somehow seen as "complaining", you get nothing but criticism.

I agree 100% with your feedback which is why I bothered to post here as well. NCL reads these boards and when I'm on-board Breakaway I won't patron Cagney's. That is my right (and my pocketbook) whether good bad or indifferent and if there are significant other cruisers that feel like I do (and judging by this thread there are!), this will have an impact. I have no doubt that NCL will monitor the attendance and revenue generated from Cagney's and all of it's other venues and will make changes as appropriate. That is what companies do. I'll state this one more time: No company is perfect and they all make mistakes from time to time. For all the other posters who don't understand our opinions (the loyal NCL fans that don't appreciate the changes), well that's all good too I guess. They can be the only ones that end up dining in Cagney's, as that is also their right.

Nothing more to say on this one (at least from me), time to move on....

Change is not always a bad thing, but some people just want it "their way". And you don't understand our opinions, well that's all good too, I guess. And yes, we will be dining at Cagney's and are excited about it.

Change is not always a bad thing, but some people just want it "their way". And you don't understand our opinions, well that's all good too, I guess. And yes, we will be dining at Cagney's and are excited about it.

Great, you're the perfect NCL consumer! Anything they give you is received with a smile. Have a great (if possible) meal at the late great Cagney's!:eek:

Great, you're the perfect NCL consumer! Anything they give you is received with a smile. Have a great (if possible) meal at the late great Cagney's!:eek:

Have you tried the new menu? A great meal is far more possible then it was a month ago. Pretty snarky post on your side. You may want to read Who Moved My Cheese it takes about 30 minutes.

One thing I enjoy about these up-charge places is the quiet atmosphere. I pay for that in addition to the step up in the food. Hopefully that is not changing and I look forward to enjoying a quiet dinner with a lot less hustle and bustle as exists in the MDR and especially the buffet - new menu or old.