SPA Ripoff....

code_d

I purchased a massage for my wife on one of our cruises. It was more expensive than on land. But everything on a ship is more expensive. It was supposed to be 60 minutes but went to 90. The masseuse was talking so much trying to sell products she didn’t pay any attention to the time. My wife thought it was great.:)

That would be extremely irritating. Sales pitch before or after might not be as bad, but talking throughout the massage would be an issue for my wife.

Part of the enjoyment of *my* cruise is getting a treatment or three at the spa. I wait until I'm on the cruise and book when I see the flyers with the special combo treatments. My favorite was a head-to-toe scalp, neck, shoulder and foot massage combined with a facial for $139 if I remember right.

When they start trying to sell me their lotions and potions, I just tell them I'm a product fiend and probably have more at home than they have on the entire ship!

I tell the desk clerk as I am making the appointment that I will NOT tip the person giving me the spa treatment if there is any hint of a sales pitch

when checking in for the treatment I restate that there will be NO tip if I receive any sales pitch

As I am introduced to the person giving me the treatment I retell her my NO tip policy

This works for me.

I make my statements in a polite quiet tone. I do not snarl, yell, or in any way draw anyone else into my conversation.

My husband and I did a couples massage on the Magic in January and didn't like it. We have had a couples massage before, on land, and it was much more relaxing than on the ship. One of the worst things was the sales pitch. HATED it.

Now the rest of the spa, we loved! We had a spa balcony and used the spa every day. It was awesome and so much more relaxing than the massage.

Guess I'm in the minority here. ONe of my favorite things to do is to get a spa treatment. I consider it a treat to myself although I don't it on every cruise. Depends on what I have to spend. The spas in my area (Northeast) are expensive, so I don't find the prices that far off. And the last one I got the masseuse asked me afterwards if I was interested in hearing more about the products. I told her no thanks firmly and she didn't press. I've never encountered high pressure sales tactics in the spa. Timeshare presentations yes....spas....no:)

Isn't there usually a Spa raffle on boarding day? Has anyone does this? How does it work, I know I've always meant to do it but am too excited, eating or taking pictures or napping, that I forget to go up to the Spa :o lol

My sister won a $250 spa voucher last year. We had every intention of going again this year, but didn't get around to it.:(

Off the ship is probaby the best advise.

If you want some fun go and listen to one of their seminars and what they want to sell you.

This is absolutely correct! Massages, while in port, and often on the beach, are much less expensive, usually better quality, and end with a smile, not a sales pitch.

On my last cruise, I got a hot stone massage that was absolutely amazing. Unfortunately, I was suckered into the spa products at the end and somehow bought a very expensive bottle of massage oil. The sales were pretty high pressured, but honestly I was feeling too good to mind. It wasn't until I checked my sail and sign account where I went :eek:.

The good news is that the massage was one of the best ones I've ever had. The bad news is the lovely massage oil that is sitting on my night stand

Isn't there usually a Spa raffle on boarding day? Has anyone does this? How does it work, I know I've always meant to do it but am too excited, eating or taking pictures or napping, that I forget to go up to the Spa :o lol

My husband won an hot stone massage on our cruise at the raffle on embarkation day. He asked if I could use it instead, and it was no problem at all. Hot stone massages are my absolute favorite:)

One of my best massages ever was on the beach in Zihuateneou- $25 for an hour (I tipped generously on that). I was a little nervous because I have spinal cord damage, and the woman didn't speak English, but I just said NO and pointed to my neck, and she didn't touch it. It was heaven.

Get one off the ship. Some ports charge normal US prices ($60ish per hour)- but that is still signifigant savings off the ship. And nothing beats laying on the beach getting a massage.

When you're off the ship.

This is the best answer. Exact same thought I had. The prices in the ship's spa are now nearly double what I pay on land for similar treatments. They always been more expensive, but looking at what's listed for our upcoming cruise, I was surprised at how much they prices have increased. And honestly the massages that I've gotten on ships are usually not the quality that I get near home. Just not worth the cost anymore.

My husband won an hot stone massage on our cruise at the raffle on embarkation day. He asked if I could use it instead, and it was no problem at all. Hot stone massages are my absolute favorite:)

I've never had one, are the stones REALLY hot??

Thats I'm talking about! Are these available in Jamaica, Caymen or Coz?

I also want to know this...will be going to Jamaica and Cayman leaving sunday.

I can tellyou that I did get a massage while at Coz at Mr. Sanchos...it was great :) don't remember the price, but it wasn't that bad (it was a couples massage)

My husband and I will have an hour and a half couples massage before we leave. Then, depending on the sales they run, we may have a spa treatment while we're onboard. We had already discussed it but now wondering if we will have time. We did one last year when we sailed. And like the other commenters ... it was more expensive but we enjoyed it since it was part of our vacation.

As for massages on the beach, my advise is to read about the beach in trip advisor. I did that for a trip to Costa Rica. Just know that while they may be cheap, you're not always guaranteed a good massage. Or even safe.

Have fun!!

I haven't seen anyone post my reason for getting shipboard massages, so I guess I will post. I love getting them right before bed - nothing more relaxing than having a good dinner, waiting a half hour or so, and then getting a massage. I head back to the room, crawl into bed and get the best night's sleep. Plus, that gives any oil they might have used time to absorb. I love not having to drive home from some place after a great massage, just maybe climb a few stairs and then, blissfully, to bed.

OH - my favorite is the bamboo, don't like the hot stone, not enough pressure for me.

Archived