SPA Ripoff....

code_d

It was going through my brain that I have not read much related to the spa experience (not that I searched it out). My impression has been on cruises that they are for pressure in selling things, and the options are expensive. I was thinking maybe this time I would try a massage. So I was wondering what the real deal is in the sap and what and when is the best time to get a relaxing massage for a decent price?

They were having a sea day special when I went on our last cruise. It was okay, definitely not the best massage I ever had, but it was twice the price.

I nicely told the lady up front I wasn't going to buy anything so don't bother, and whatever time she'd use for her sales pitch she should use to take herself a longer break :) She smiled and never asked me to buy anything.

I think part of the key is the form they give you to fill out in the beginning. How you answer some of those questions can provide a lead in for the masseuse to start his/her sales pitch. "Oh you're experiencing stress? Get a full body massage and buy our stress reliving creme for $100." "Oh, you have acne? Buy our $2,000 line of facial products" :rolleyes:

Think this time we'll do a massage on a beach at one of the ports. Yeah, I like the sound of that! :D

Save your money. Get a massage somewhere else. Either in port or at your favorite spa prior to leaving. I believe all there services are overpriced and they use high pressure sales tactics to get you to buy needless overpriced stuff that you do not need.

I agree with everyone. It is a complete rip off 2 and sometimes 3 times the cost as getting one off the ship. Then the sales pitch at the end. My wife and I got one one our first cruise...never again. Now we just get a massage when we are in port. Most of the time if you go to a beach there are people there that are giving massages for $50 or cheaper for a full hour.

They were having a sea day special when I went on our last cruise. It was okay, definitely not the best massage I ever had, but it was twice the price.

I nicely told the lady up front I wasn't going to buy anything so don't bother, and whatever time she'd use for her sales pitch she should use to take herself a longer break :) She smiled and never asked me to buy anything.

I think part of the key is the form they give you to fill out in the beginning. How you answer some of those questions can provide a lead in for the masseuse to start his/her sales pitch. "Oh you're experiencing stress? Get a full body massage and buy our stress reliving creme for $100." "Oh, you have acne? Buy our $2,000 line of facial products" :rolleyes:

Think this time we'll do a massage on a beach at one of the ports. Yeah, I like the sound of that! :D

I think I would have held the part of not buying any stuff until the end of the massage. Don't burst their bubble before the massage as less energy from the masseuse will be used on you.

As mentioned, there's plenty of massages happening on land. Don't waste your money or time on the ship getting a massage.

I think I would have held the part of not buying any stuff until the end of the massage. Don't burst their bubble before the massage as less energy from the masseuse will be used on you.

As mentioned, there's plenty of massages happening on land. Don't waste your money or time on the ship getting a massage.

You're probably right about that, I just didn't want to hear it! No matter, I won't be doing another massage on the boat regardless. Live & learn! :)

If your idea of fun is watching paint dry.

Book yet?

Its the questions I like to ask when they try to rip us off. Pride myself on asking things they have never been asked before.

My mom is not doing well and worried about being out of the country so not looking good for the Splendor.

Off the ship is probably the best advice.

If you want some fun go and listen to one of their seminars and what they want to sell you.

I avoid them like the plague. :D

I got brave this one time at band camp and asked them about teeth whitening.

It didn't sound right so I declined their kind offer.

On a UK cruise ship my wife was given a (G.B. 45 Pounds) mud-massage something or other.

very nice it was, she said...should be for 45 Quid I said.

And that dear reader

is all the Spa experience She and I have had in nine cruises.

My husband and I got a couples massage a couple years ago. They waste 10 minutes asking questions based on what you filled out on the form, so it is not a 1 hour massage. The massage was very 'light' and not deep penetrating at all. Save your money and get a massage at one of the ports.

I thought their prices were comparable to our spa at home - but we don't have too many options. Our spa mentions things they sell too, never thought of it as a pitch.

They have unadvertised specials sometimes. Go to the spa and look at the flyers on the desk. Different days, they offer different specials like Pick 3 and Pick 4, etc. There is a list of services like back massage, leg & foot massage, scalp massage.....3 for $99 or 4 for $129, etc.

Around here, a basic hour massage runs about $60; closer to $100 at a nice spa. So the least expensive onboard prices are still quite high to us. Last time we stopped in Nassau, my wife got a spa on the beach on Paradise Island (paid $60 - don't know if you can haggle) - she said it was one of the better ones she has had. Might do that again on our stop in Nassau this July on Dream.

I had a horrible kink I had been suffering from for weeks before I got on my last cruise but I had been so crazy busy I hadn't had time to get a massage before hand. I had been to the chiro but what I had apparently needed was a deep tissue massage.

The on-board massage was way more than I would have paid off ship but I got the 75 minute bamboo massage (1st day for the shorter time price) and I will say the kink is gone and has not come back since. :D It actually worked so in my case it was worth the money. She did a good job of explaining what she was going to do and checked to make sure it was done right for that area and then did the rest quietly. She did try to do the hard sell afterwards but I just said no thank you.

Its the questions I like to ask when they try to rip us off. Pride myself on asking things they have never been asked before.

My mom is not doing well and worried about being out of the country so not looking good for the Splendor.

STU - Wishing your mom a speedy recovery!

Me too.

The services are overpriced, but it depends on your outlook. I consider a spa treatment a luxury. I know it's going to cost more than what I could get at home, but if I feel like being pampered on the cruise, I'll book one or two treatments. I have been aggravated by the high pressure tactics to buy the spa products, but I just say no. So it's up to you. I can get an hour massage for $60 at home. I think the cheapest massage I got on Carnival was maybe $99.

I've had a variety of massages on Carnival and HAL, with the majority being hot stone, which I love. I've always received the full time of massage and just say know when they bring products out. However, I've also tried a few of the facial products and love Elemis. But, it's a whole lot cheaper buying it on Amazon, probably 50 percent less.

The best massage for the money I ever received was on HAL. They offered a pool special of $27 for a neck and shoulder massage. I needed it so signed up. They had a massage chair out on the Lido deck, so I figured it would be done there. Instead, she took me in one of the rooms and gave me a wonderful massage that went down into my back even. She got a good tip.

I purchased a massage for my wife on one of our cruises. It was more expensive than on land. But everything on a ship is more expensive. It was supposed to be 60 minutes but went to 90. The masseuse was talking so much trying to sell products she didn’t pay any attention to the time. My wife thought it was great.:)

Archived