Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

1 hour ago, lesliebe said:

ANy feedback on the Four Seasons Ritz in Lisbon?  (I think we had to pay deviation as we were going early?)

This is our first Regent cruise......

Yes - you would have to pay a deviation fee if you plan on arriving early (unless you are in a concierge or above suite).  If you are in a concierge or above suite, Regent provides a hotel for you and your flights are the day before embarkation.  If you still want to book your own hotel, Regent will give you a hotel credit.  Sorry - no information on the Four Seasons in Lisbon on.  We are staying at a Boutique hotel not far from the port.

TC2 - thanks for Atlas Air link.  And yes, I've done extensive research on Star Alliance carries between LAX and PPT and there is only one good option.  What puzzles me now is if Regent is saying they only have charters between LAX - PPT why should I pay the deviation fee?  I'll ask my Regent guy...

On 8/12/2019 at 10:40 AM, DaveFr said:

I agree. We stayed four days at the Ritz in November 2017 before our transatlantic cruise.  We used an offer so that we stayed four nights but only paid for three.  The outside of the building was not particularly exciting but the interior public areas and the rooms were excellent.  The hotel is not in the center of things but met our desire to be in a less hectic area. Your mileage may vary. 

The Superior rooms (Queen beds) are on the front of the hotel, on floors one through 10,  and do not have much of a view. They are about 450 ft.² and have a balcony. The Deluxe and Premier rooms (King beds) are on the rear of the hotel with a beautiful view of the park and Old Town.  They both are about 525 ft.².with a balcony.  Deluxe rooms are on floors one through six while Premier rooms are on floors seven through 10.  I recommend either a Deluxe or Premier room. 

Dave

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Yes - you would have to pay a deviation fee if you plan on arriving early (unless you are in a concierge or above suite).  If you are in a concierge or above suite, Regent provides a hotel for you and your flights are the day before embarkation.  If you still want to book your own hotel, Regent will give you a hotel credit.  Sorry - no information on the Four Seasons in Lisbon on.  We are staying at a Boutique hotel not far from the port.

are you on the other part of the cruise ending in Lisbon or our part?  Do you mind my asking what hotel you are at?   2 of the 3 rooms are concierge so we get that night at the hotel.....still keeping options open

Regent does frequently use charter flights going to/from Tahiti as there are not enough flights to accommodate hundreds of Regent passengers.  Just checked flights on a random date in December and the only carriers that I can see going to PPT from LAX are Air Tahiti Nui and Qantas.

Those Qantas flights are actually codeshares operated by Air Tahiti Nui (TN).  Ditto with some of the Air France flights, though AF operates their own equipment a few days a week.  These are the only two airlines flying PPT-LAX.

Between PPT and SFO you will find flights operated by both United and French Bee.  Both may carry other airline designators as  well, serving as partner codeshares.

There is also service between PPT and HNL on Hawaiian, but that is usually only a once a week round-trip.

If you are interested, here is some information on Atlas Air https://www.atlasair.com/passenger-services/our-passenger-fleet/.  Seat Guru shows the aircraft as having only recliner type seats but they are a bit behind because I read elsewhere that they fly a 747 as well.  More research may need to be done on this.

Atlas is primarily a cargo carrier and only has three passenger aircraft, IIRC.  The one that would likely be used is the 747 VIP with a 2-3-2 business class configuration.  Look for those seats in the photos in this story on the aircraft.  Please note....this story is just for info on the seating.  Inflight service is a matter for the chartering operator to determine for any PPT-LAX flight.

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/flying-the-houston-express-houston-luanda/

3 hours ago, lesliebe said:

unfortunately at this point paying on our own for the same hotel in Lisbon (not happy, but don't want to move hotels for 1 night) and using Chase Sapphire points to pay for that.  Overpriced, but what can we do?

Sure hope that you are getting full value for your Chase points.  I suspect that you really aren't - most valuations say that Chase points are worth about 1.8 cents each.  Crunch the numbers - you may be getting a bad deal (as most hotel redemptions from Chase and Amex turn out to be).

18 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

hose Qantas flights are actually codeshares operated by Air Tahiti Nui (TN).  Ditto with some of the Air France flights, though AF operates their own equipment a few days a week.  These are the only two airlines flying PPT-LAX.

Between PPT and SFO you will find flights operated by both United and French Bee.  Both may carry other airline designators as  well, serving as partner codeshares.

There is also service between PPT and HNL on Hawaiian, but that is usually only a once a week round-trip.

United out of SFO is only 3 days per week so have to be lucky your cruise matches those flight days.  Believe Air France on AF Metal is only three  days per week. as well.

Edited by rallydave

22 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Sure hope that you are getting full value for your Chase points.  I suspect that you really aren't - most valuations say that Chase points are worth about 1.8 cents each.  Crunch the numbers - you may be getting a bad deal (as most hotel redemptions from Chase and Amex turn out to be).

Really depends on how you earn your miles and how you redeem them.  With a SApphire Reserve Card, earn 3 points per dollar and can redeem them at 1.5 cents/cent so .045 cents per dollar spent   Getting more an more a challenge to use points on flights and hotels but, better than spending and getting nothing back.

5 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Really depends on how you earn your miles and how you redeem them.  With a SApphire Reserve Card, earn 3 points per dollar and can redeem them at 1.5 cents/cent so .045 cents per dollar spent   Getting more an more a challenge to use points on flights and hotels but, better than spending and getting nothing back.

Absolutely better than paying with cash!  Earn those points anyway so need to use............

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Agree with you 100%.  However, we have been able to book three First Class fights (from Vancouver to Miami twice and Vancouver to San Diego) with points that we have no other place to use them.  In the "old days" we were able to fly Business Class around the world on TWA and Qantas - they were definitely the "good" old days.  

Thank you for your posts that are helpful rather than argumentative.  It is appreciated.

Thanks, FlyerTalker, for the link to the review of the Houston Express.  The seating on the Atlas Air 747 looks better than I feared it would.  I've communicated with Regent and have been told (by Regent Air, via email) that I will not pay the deviation fee as they only are doing charter on this sailing.  Still don't understand why they presented it as a custom air option for $175 pp.

Hi Gr"aunt, I have been perusing this topic and came across your post asking for help on flights for a cruise

from Barcelona to Lisbon in April 2020. We are booked on that same cruise. This will only be our second

cruise on Regent and we also have another booked for the September 2020. You will Regent and we are 

very excited with the itinerary. Maybe we will meet on the ship :).

3 hours ago, Bolshoi said:

Thanks, FlyerTalker, for the link to the review of the Houston Express.  The seating on the Atlas Air 747 looks better than I feared it would.  I've communicated with Regent and have been told (by Regent Air, via email) that I will not pay the deviation fee as they only are doing charter on this sailing.  Still don't understand why they presented it as a custom air option for $175 pp.

Remember...that's on the assumption that Regent is chartering THAT particular 747 and not the one with the higher density seating capacity.  There are only 143 business seats on the VIP 747, and far more passengers than that on the Regent ship.  Not sure how they are doing the math - perhaps some folks on charters, some on scheduled flights.  Even then, the Air Tahiti Nui flights have only 30 business class seats per aircraft - and the Air France 777s have between 24 and 42 business seats.  The United 787s to SFO have between 36 to 48 business seats.  So, simply put -- by my back of the envelope math, there's not enough lift to transport every passenger on a Regent ship between Tahiti and mainland USA on the same day in business class.  Or maybe even over two days, since AF and UA are not daily.  Something's gotta give.  And I don't know what the answer is.

7 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Remember...that's on the assumption that Regent is chartering THAT particular 747 and not the one with the higher density seating capacity.  There are only 143 business seats on the VIP 747, and far more passengers than that on the Regent ship.  Not sure how they are doing the math - perhaps some folks on charters, some on scheduled flights.  Even then, the Air Tahiti Nui flights have only 30 business class seats per aircraft - and the Air France 777s have between 24 and 42 business seats.  The United 787s to SFO have between 36 to 48 business seats.  So, simply put -- by my back of the envelope math, there's not enough lift to transport every passenger on a Regent ship between Tahiti and mainland USA on the same day in business class.  Or maybe even over two days, since AF and UA are not daily.  Something's gotta give.  And I don't know what the answer is.

And don't' forget, Atlas Air could be reconfiguring for fewer Business Class seats the Houston Express -400  I also enjoyed the article about the Atlas Air Houston Express plane and in a few weeks will be departing IAH on a Singapore Air A350 heading for Singapore via Manchester out of Gate  D-12

The SQ routings via Europe are a hidden gem, both to get to SIN and for flights to Europe.  Folks don't consider SQ to get to various places in Europe, as well as flying them all the way from the middle of the country.

Reminds me how at one time, the hidden way to get FF redemptions to Brazil from the west coast was Korean.  They flew three times a week from LAX to Sao Paulo and award seats were always available on that tag flight.

7 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

The SQ routings via Europe are a hidden gem, both to get to SIN and for flights to Europe.  Folks don't consider SQ to get to various places in Europe, as well as flying them all the way from the middle of the country.

Reminds me how at one time, the hidden way to get FF redemptions to Brazil from the west coast was Korean.  They flew three times a week from LAX to Sao Paulo and award seats were always available on that tag flight.

You got it.  Used that flight connecting with Austrian to get to Basel Switzerland last year to Singapore and back this year and next year to Manchester then a train to Southampton.  Reasonable points for Business, easy transfer of points and easy to get Business seats with flights available 355 days out.  Great seats and service as well.

On 9/17/2019 at 6:04 PM, FlyerTalker said:

Those Qantas flights are actually codeshares operated by Air Tahiti Nui (TN).  Ditto with some of the Air France flights, though AF operates their own equipment a few days a week.  These are the only two airlines flying PPT-LAX.

Atlas is primarily a cargo carrier and only has three passenger aircraft, IIRC.  The one that would likely be used is the 747 VIP with a 2-3-2 business class configuration.  Look for those seats in the photos in this story on the aircraft.  Please note....this story is just for info on the seating.  Inflight service is a matter for the chartering operator to determine for any PPT-LAX flight.

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/flying-the-houston-express-houston-luanda/

Thank-you very much for posting this link about the Houston Express. I actually took that flight many times when it was the World Airways MD-11 as I had to attend meetings in Luanda with other oil company finance folks. You really never knew what to expect. One time I had to pay $5 to the immigration "officials" to leave Angola (all dutifully reported to my company). Another time I showed up at the airport only to discover the flight to Houston had been cancelled due to a possible hurricane in Houston which went to the east but caused massive gridlock as hundreds of thousands tried to evacuate westward. I made it home two days later after racking up a $1,000 phone bill at the hotel trying to rebook myself. But it made for a good story. I have seen some cruise itineraries which actually call on Luanda but I have no idea why. We always traveled with a driver and another local in case we got involved in a car accident so that one person could always stay in the car with us. Sorry for the trip down memory lane.  :)

To be fair to Lesliebe, when we write in airline or city codes, it can be every confusing to people that are not used to them.  Perhaps we could give airline or city codes with the name in parenthesis?   For instance, GIG (Rio De Janeiro) would not be an easy one to figure out.

Edited by Travelcat2

22 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

To be fair to Lesliebe, when we write in airline or city codes, it can be every confusing to people that are not used to them.  Perhaps we could give airline or city codes with the name in parenthesis?   For instance, GIG (Rio De Janeiro) would not be an easy one to figure out.

Aaww. Thx!  Trying to learn.  Btw I think you commented about bad hotel values wuth Chase Sapphire points.  What do you recommend..you travel more than we do

6 minutes ago, lesliebe said:

Aaww. Thx!  Trying to learn.  Btw I think you commented about bad hotel values wuth Chase Sapphire points.  What do you recommend..you travel more than we do

It wasn’t me.  We use Chase Sapphire points to travel First Class within the United States since Regent would put us in coach and charges too much to upgrade.

If you let me know what city you are going to, I’ll try to help with a hotel!  By the way - you are doing great picking up all of this information about Regent!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Travelcat2 said:

It wasn’t me.  We use Chase Sapphire points to travel First Class within the United States since Regent would put us in coach and charges too much to upgrade.

If you let me know what city you are going to, I’ll try to help with a hotel!  By the way - you are doing great picking up all of this information about Regent!

Lisbon.  We booked the Ritz Four Seasons as that is where Regent puts us for the free night & transfers.  The Bonvoy properties also were not centrally located......and we really don't want to change hotels for one night.  But would love suggestions.......we are open!

The Sapphire program, imo, has changed since it is now powered by Expedia.  Having an issue now, and all we can talk to is Phillipines based call center.  Not our first choice...........

2 hours ago, lesliebe said:

For novices. What is SQ?

Ff is frequent flyer

Sin singapore?

Sorry....force of habit to shorten things up.  SQ is the IATA code for Singapore Airlines.  And SIN is the IATA code for Singapore Changi Airport.

A quick link that you might want to bookmark (I have, since I come across stuff that I don't know at first glance):

www.airlinecodes.co.uk

You can go both ways on airline, airport and aircraft codes.  Just click what you want from the purple banner at the top. 

Just for fun...go to airlines and put in SW.  Nope, you won't get Southwest.  And JB won't get you JetBlue.

And for some fun airport codes in the USA off the top of my head.    EYW, MSY, OGG, GEG, CVG, and of course, SUX.

Surprised that you think the Marriott properties aren't centrally located.  The Fontecruz is very convenient to most things, and is almost across the street from the Avenida metro station.  If you want to be in the neighborhood of the Ritz, I'd suggest the Intercontinental.  One thing about Lisbon....it's not a bastion of American hotel chains, so many of the better hotels are smaller independent properties.

Which of course leads to the overarching question....just what are you looking for in terms of your lodging requirements?  For only you know what fits your needs and desires.  (And FWIW IMO the Ritz is vastly overpriced for the market, especially for a short stay).

• Like 1