Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

If you want to give it a try, here is the website https://www.google-flights.net

P.S.  You can book flights on Google Flights which you cannot do on the other site.   

43 minutes ago, califsealion said:

I was just playing with this and think the site is actually https://www.google.com/flights

27 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thank you.  Both links got me to the same place.  It seems that Google has several sites - one of which I couldn't access.  What do you think of Google Flights so far?

The Disclaimer on www.google-flights.net is interesting:

"www.google-flights.net is not Affiliated with www.google.com. This blog is not related to, endorsed by or supported by official Google INC. This is Just information blog to help people"

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thank you.  Both links got me to the same place.  It seems that Google has several sites - one of which I couldn't access.  What do you think of Google Flights so far?

I was mostly looking to see what it could tell me about the flights we have coming up in October, and I was excited to find one of our flights did have lie-flat seats!  That was really as far as I got, but I do think it will be useful for future flight inquiries.

Hi Everyone,

My grandmother kindly gifted my husband and I a cruise on Regent this coming October and this will be our first Regent cruise. Our 90 day mark is coming up and I am excitedly anticipating finding out our flight details. I am a nervous flyer (not afraid of flying, but anxious about missed connections and other details like that). We'll be flying out of NY to Rome. I'm now learning about deviations and I think ensuring a nonstop is out of my hands at this point. I'm also really excited to learn what airline we'll be on, but I think I have that narrowed down based on the available flights on our flight departure day. What are the chances this will be a direct flight? Or is it really a gamble based on the contracts and deals they work out behind the scenes? If there is a stop or two in the US, will those flights be in business or economy? What about connections in Europe?

Thank you! 

24 minutes ago, jrhandy84 said:

Hi Everyone,

My grandmother kindly gifted my husband and I a cruise on Regent this coming October and this will be our first Regent cruise. Our 90 day mark is coming up and I am excitedly anticipating finding out our flight details. I am a nervous flyer (not afraid of flying, but anxious about missed connections and other details like that). We'll be flying out of NY to Rome. I'm now learning about deviations and I think ensuring a nonstop is out of my hands at this point. I'm also really excited to learn what airline we'll be on, but I think I have that narrowed down based on the available flights on our flight departure day. What are the chances this will be a direct flight? Or is it really a gamble based on the contracts and deals they work out behind the scenes? If there is a stop or two in the US, will those flights be in business or economy? What about connections in Europe?

Thank you! 

Believe you won't hear until the 75 day mark so an extra 2 weeks from your 90 day mentioned.  As far as deviations, most likely you are out of luck but, costs nothing to have your TA or you contact Regent asd ask.  You only pay the $175 per person after you accept their flights so you can see what is available without incurring any costs.  Sooner the better at this point.

Yes, it is somewhat a gamble at this late date but, being New York you have a better chance than others living further west.  Don't think narrowing it down is possible as there are lots more flights with connections on other airlines which you mentioned and at this point in time likely any flight before crossing the water will be economy but, always possible.  When you ask about direct you mean non stop as direct indicates at least one stop.  Like I said, you have a better chance flying out of New York but, difficult to provide odds on the Non-stop to Rome and back to New York.

Recommend you have your TA contact Regent today and see what if anything is available on a deviation and if a good flight is there, both ways, jump on it.  Their response will also give you an indication of what type of flights you might get but, things can change before you hit the 75 day mark.  Good luck and have a great trip.  

1 minute ago, rallydave said:

Believe you won't hear until the 75 day mark so an extra 2 weeks from your 90 day mentioned.  As far as deviations, most likely you are out of luck but, costs nothing to have your TA or you contact Regent asd ask.  You only pay the $175 per person after you accept their flights so you can see what is available without incurring any costs.  Sooner the better at this point.

Yes, it is somewhat a gamble at this late date but, being New York you have a better chance than others living further west.  Don't think narrowing it down is possible as there are lots more flights with connections on other airlines which you mentioned and at this point in time likely any flight before crossing the water will be economy but, always possible.  When you ask about direct you mean non stop as direct indicates at least one stop.  Like I said, you have a better chance flying out of New York but, difficult to provide odds on the Non-stop to Rome and back to New York.

Recommend you have your TA contact Regent today and see what if anything is available on a deviation and if a good flight is there, both ways, jump on it.  Their response will also give you an indication of what type of flights you might get but, things can change before you hit the 75 day mark.  Good luck and have a great trip.  

Thank you! Yes, I meant non-stop. I have been trying to avoid inundating the TA with questions since it's my grandmother's contact, but I guess it's to be expected since my husband and I are the ones traveling. I will reach out to her to see what she says. Considering the overall cost, the $175pp seems negligible if it means a better travel experience.

13 hours ago, rallydave said:

When you ask about direct you mean non stop as direct indicates at least one stop. 

Not quite correct.  Here's the nomenclature:

Non-stop - means that there are no stops between point A and point B.

Direct - means that there is no change in flight number between point A and point B.  There may be one or more stops, or it might be non-stop.  There may or may not be an equipment change at any stop (known as a change of gauge).

Connection - means that there is a change in flight number between point A and point B, with at least one stop.  Most always, this involves a different aircraft, but it is rarely possible you have the same one (but still must deplane and reboard).  Sometimes referred to in fare rules as a "transfer".

Stopover - means that you have a connection where the time exceeds the allowable maximum for that connection.  In most cases, this "breaks" the fare, so that you no longer have a through fare from A to B, but rather A to stopover point added to stopover point to B.

Layover - an unofficial term for a connection or stopover.  Not found in any fare rules and should be avoided since it doesn't clarify which you are talking about (and these have cost implications).

So, all stopovers have a connection, but most connections are not stopovers.

And...all non-stop flights are also direct.  But not all direct flights are non-stops.

And for example....Southwest actually has a flight from Baltimore to Oakland that is a direct flight.  But makes SIX stops along the way.  Since it keeps the same flight number...it's direct!!

8 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Direct - means that there is no change in flight number between point A and point B.  There may be one or more stops, or it might be non-stop.  There may or may not be an equipment change at any stop (known as a change of gauge).

Connection - means that there is a change in flight number between point A and point B, with at least one stop.  Most always, this involves a different aircraft, but it is rarely possible you have the same one (but still must deplane and reboard).  Sometimes referred to in fare rules as a "transfer".

Stopover - means that you have a connection where the time exceeds the allowable maximum for that connection.  In most cases, this "breaks" the fare, so that you no longer have a through fare from A to B, but rather A to stopover point added to stopover point to B.

Layover - an unofficial term for a connection or stopover.  Not found in any fare rules and should be avoided since it doesn't clarify which you are talking about (and these have cost implications).

And...all non-stop flights are also direct.  But not all direct flights are non-stops.

And for example....Southwest actually has a flight from Baltimore to Oakland that is a direct flight.  But makes SIX stops along the way.  Since it keeps the same flight number...it's direct!!

Fascinating information. I've certainly learned something this morning!

Would you please provide a link to the source of this information so I can bookmark it? 

8 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Thanks for the additional clarifications flyertalker.  Much more correct to say non-stop rather than direct as direct per your definition may get you stop(s) and change of aircraft.   Unfortunately too many people believe that direct always means non-stop and therein is the possible confusion.

7 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

Fascinating information. I've certainly learned something this morning!

Would you please provide a link to the source of this information so I can bookmark it? 

Don't have it from one specific spot - learned and memorized over many million miles of flying, but you could always just bookmark this thread page....:)

32 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Don't have it from one specific spot - learned and memorized over many million miles of flying, but you could always just bookmark this thread page....:)

Done!  

Just curious, are you a fellow "road warrior" or do you/did you work in commercial aviation? None of my business but only interested. 

Road warrior, but also have been interested in aviation/airline industry for decades.  Never worked for a carrier.  Decided that I would gain as much knowledge as I could.  Sorta on the lines of forewarned is forearmed, because ignorance sure isn't bliss when something goes wrong when traveling.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Road warrior, but also have been interested in aviation/airline industry for decades.  Never worked for a carrier.  Decided that I would gain as much knowledge as I could.  Sorta on the lines of forewarned is forearmed, because ignorance sure isn't bliss when something goes wrong when traveling.

Agreed!

Your wisdom and counsel here are both appreciated. 

Our cruise departs from Lisbon.  No non-stops from Los Angeles.  What are my chances that Regent would put us (5 of us) in business/first the whole trip if we fly via US stop, such at Phillie or Newark?  Are we better to pay deviation and fly to Heathrow or somewhere else so we get business on that part?

Also, If we land at Heathrow and then have to change terminal etc to get to Lisbon, do we go through immigration/customs,  and what happens if somehow someway GreatBritan leaves the EU before our 5/2020 cruise?

6 minutes ago, lesliebe said:

Our cruise departs from Lisbon.  No non-stops from Los Angeles.  What are my chances that Regent would put us (5 of us) in business/first the whole trip if we fly via US stop, such at Phillie or Newark?  Are we better to pay deviation and fly to Heathrow or somewhere else so we get business on that part?

Also, If we land at Heathrow and then have to change terminal etc to get to Lisbon, do we go through immigration/customs,  and what happens if somehow someway Great Britain leaves the EU before our 5/2020 cruise?

First of all your upgrade to First for a domestic leg depends on two things.  First you have to be flying on the same airline for the domestic and overseas legs.  Secondly assuming you are flying on the ame airline and that does NOT include code shares the airline has to have available seats in First in order for you to be upgraded.  Nothing Regent can do about that.

That said, waiting for the 75 day mark when your flights will be booked without a deviation lessons your already slim chance of getting the upgrade on the domestic flight, especially for 5 people.  Far fewer seats in First on domestic flights than overseas flights and the airlines would much rather sell those first class seats that give them gratis to you and with far fewer seats, that lessons your chances.  Have booked flights at the 270 day mark overseas and did not get First on the domestic leg.

As far as paying the deviation fee, yes, you are probably better off paying that and there is no cost to you getting that information which may or may not include First for all 5 of you.  You only pay if and when you agree to your routing so nothing ventured, nothing gained by having your TA contact Regent as soon as you are 270 days out and asking.

Yes, if you land at Heathrow, you will go thru immigration as you will have to leave the secure area to get to your other terminal.  You will not have to pick up your luggage as long as you make sure in LA that it is checked to your final destination.  As to the UK leaving the EU, would expect your arrival in Lisbon to be identical if you had flied directly from the US.  Don't think arrival in the UK will be any different but, really nobody will know until it occurs.

6 minutes ago, rallydave said:

First of all your upgrade to First for a domestic leg depends on two things.  First you have to be flying on the same airline for the domestic and overseas legs.  Secondly assuming you are flying on the ame airline and that does NOT include code shares the airline has to have available seats in First in order for you to be upgraded.  Nothing Regent can do about that.

That said, waiting for the 75 day mark when your flights will be booked without a deviation lessons your already slim chance of getting the upgrade on the domestic flight, especially for 5 people.  Far fewer seats in First on domestic flights than overseas flights and the airlines would much rather sell those first class seats that give them gratis to you and with far fewer seats, that lessons your chances.  Have booked flights at the 270 day mark overseas and did not get First on the domestic leg.

As far as paying the deviation fee, yes, you are probably better off paying that and there is no cost to you getting that information which may or may not include First for all 5 of you.  You only pay if and when you agree to your routing so nothing ventured, nothing gained by having your TA contact Regent as soon as you are 270 days out and asking.

Yes, if you land at Heathrow, you will go thru immigration as you will have to leave the secure area to get to your other terminal.  You will not have to pick up your luggage as long as you make sure in LA that it is checked to your final destination.  As to the UK leaving the EU, would expect your arrival in Lisbon to be identical if you had flied directly from the US.  Don't think arrival in the UK will be any different but, really nobody will know until it occurs.

Thanks rallydave!  Kind of what we thought.  We have flights picked out....will see what Regent can do at the 270 day.  TA said could be easier for us to deal with Regent air dept directly...........

1 hour ago, lesliebe said:

Thanks rallydave!  Kind of what we thought.  We have flights picked out....will see what Regent can do at the 270 day.  TA said could be easier for us to deal with Regent air dept directly...........

i agree with your TA. I find it easier to have my TA release my file to Regent Air and then just call them rather than go back and forth with my TA in the middle. It took some time to arrange our flights for our upcoming cruise and would have taken a lot longer to finalize if the TA had been in the middle.  Of course i like to have as much control as possible. While talking to Regent Air i am sitting at the computer looking at flight options online in case what i want is not available. 

On our cruise last year we went through FRA to Lisbon and i don't want to do that again. Really dislike that aiport.  That is why it took so long as RA wanted us to go through FRA again on our way to Barcelona and i said no.  The very pleasant RA agent patiently went through all our options and until she found one that worked for us.  Well worth the 175pp.

Now friends of ours are on the same cruise but were waitlisted until final payment. They were given flights back from DXB on Emirates at no extra charge and when we tried to do that we were told it would cost us 1500 pp extra to book on Emirates. Sometimes later works out. 

Good luck. 

Yes - FlyerTalker has great information.  I will make sure to use the right terminology in the future.  However, it is no big deal if a poster uses other terminology as we can just check back to insure that we understand!

I kind of disagree about dealing with Regent Air directly.  I like to have paperwork to look at to insure that everything is correct from the start of the process.

We select 2-3 itineraries that we like and forward them to our TA (who obviously knows the people in the Air department).  At that point I have a copy of my requests.  Then, if one of our itineraries are approved (typically are), we get a copy of the itinerary to approve and then a final copy.

It would certainly work if you are on the phone with Regent Air but I would likely be trying to take notes - based on what the agent is saying and could miss something or write down the wrong thing.

leslieb - I would not assume that 5 people would be permitted in Business Class domestically IF you are on a U.S. carrier as that would take up almost the entire Business Class on many flights.  We book airlines like Lufthansa and other non-U.S. carriers since their stop is generally outside of the U.S.  So, you automatically get Business Class for both flights.  

1982CruzStart - we will be facing the Emirates issue in a few months and tend to book flights the day they are available.  It is possible that Emirates did not fill their Business Class seats which is why they made it available to Regent and your friend was fortunate enough to get the seats at no additional cost.  

5 hours ago, lesliebe said:

Also, If we land at Heathrow and then have to change terminal etc to get to Lisbon, do we go through immigration/customs,  and what happens if somehow someway GreatBritan leaves the EU before our 5/2020 cruise?

It might be worthwhile to consider a connection in SFO, then maybe BCN. We cruised out of Barcelona in April. SFO is our closest gateway so that was our focus. There were several nonstops from SFO to BCN. We chose a flight that connected in Newark to get a morning arrival in Barcelona with United. We requested and received Business Class from SFO to EWR. We deviated and booked at the 269 day mark(270 was a Sunday). 

I haven't looked at LAX connections so this might be adding complications for no benefit but bookending a long business class flight with two short connections might have some merit.  

11 hours ago, lesliebe said:

Although the UK is still a part of the EU, it is not, and will not be, a part of the Schengen area agreement.  Thus, immigration into the Schengen Zone would be done in LIS.  And you would be in the transit area of Heathrow, so you will not go through immigration into the UK.  You would have a security screening at LHR though.

Customs would be done at LIS as well.

Please do not confuse the European Union with the Schengen Zone, as they are quite different.  Here's some info to help you out:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

22 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I kind of disagree about dealing with Regent Air directly.  I like to have paperwork to look at to insure that everything is correct from the start of the process.

We select 2-3 itineraries that we like and forward them to our TA (who obviously knows the people in the Air department).  At that point I have a copy of my requests.  Then, if one of our itineraries are approved (typically are), we get a copy of the itinerary to approve and then a final copy.

It would certainly work if you are on the phone with Regent Air but I would likely be trying to take notes - based on what the agent is saying and could miss something or write down the wrong thing.

Even if you talk directly with them on the phone you still get everything in writing. Once you have an itinerary you think you want they send you a copy of it by email so that you can go over it and make sure it is what you want. You then have a couple of days to accept it or if it isn't what you thought you were getting you can call back and make changes.  No final decisions are made over the phone.  Once you are happy, you then confirm your acceptance through your TA. At that time you pay the deviation fee. 

4 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Even if you talk directly with them on the phone you still get everything in writing. Once you have an itinerary you think you want they send you a copy of it by email so that you can go over it and make sure it is what you want. You then have a couple of days to accept it or if it isn't what you thought you were getting you can call back and make changes.  No final decisions are made over the phone.  Once you are happy, you then confirm your acceptance through your TA. At that time you pay the deviation fee. 

Very valid points.  However, I do all of the research myself and want to present Regent (through our TA) the details of the flights that we are interested in.  I cannot imagine trying to explain it on the telephone - so much easier for Regent to look at the options and see if they are a "go" or not.

Another point for going through our TA is, as mentioned previously, our TA has a relationship with Regent Air employees and can sometimes figure out things that I would not have been able to do myself.  

Do whatever works for you.  For me, I need to know all of the options - not just the ones recommended by Regent.

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Do whatever works for you.  For me, I need to know all of the options - not just the ones recommended by Regent.

And the ones recommended by Regent may or may not be the ones that work out the best for you.

As the old joke from the restaurant industry went (in effect)...."Ok folks, do your great service and, by the way....push the veal."

• 4 weeks later...

As the result of possible issues in the Middle East that may affect Regent's ability to get to Dubai (debarkation/embarkation port), I am no longer going to recommend doing your own flights (unless you are using points and won't lose them if you cancel).  

While Regent rarely has issues where they need to change embarkation or disembarkation ports (or have a problem and have to send passengers home early), when a problem comes up, Regent handles passengers that booked Regent Air first.  

While being semi-independent is a nice thing, having to find a flight home at the last minute will likely be costly.  If Regent books your flight, there is no charge for changes to the passengers when Regent makes a change.  This is something that really needs to be considered with the problems going on in the world.

Today was day 270.  TA authorized Regent air to work directly with us.........What a breeze~  we had done our homework, picked flights within their approved codes, and was able to book 5 seats on preferred route.  LAX - Frankfurt - Lisbon and returning Heathrow to LAX.  All Business Class, and seats assigned!  Worth the $175 pp in my opinion!

(Called early AM LA time and had about a 5 minute wait on phone)