Healthy eating on a cruise. MUST be better advice!

I watch what I eat 51 weeks of the year. If I'm on a cruise I am not going to deprive myself of something I want to eat.

AMEN!!!! that's exactly how i feel....i eat super clean all year round, i'm talking portion sizes, green smoothies low carbs, lean proteins loads of veggies....so what if i indulge for 1 week.....funny enough after about 2-3 days i still ended up having a large salad for lunch cause my body just felt for the veggies and after every meal i ate fruits, the fibre helps keep you regular! :rolleyes:

I've been using My fittness pal too and I e lost 24 pounds in 90 days. It's an awesome app

I'm down 20 pounds in about the same time period with MyFitnessPal!

I find making one good decision per meal really helps.

One roll instead of two.

Chicken instead of beef or fish instead of chicken

veggies instead of potatoes

no bacon for breakfast

etc.

Add that to a brisk walk in the morning or a visit to the gym and you're doing quite well. I'm not going to deprive myself on my upcoming cruise (FOS, May 19) and I fully expect to gain a little weight. But I'm also not going to go wild either.

I never gain weight on a cruise, mainly because I'm just too active...though I have never set foot in the gym! I'm not thin either....at the moment. But I follow Weight Watchers sensible plan.

But walking miles each day from one end of the ship to the other seems to do the trick. I don't take many stairs unless it's just a floor or two, but walking all day is enough. I bet we walk at least 2 miles a day just getting from one function to the other.

In WJ I only take a small spoonful of a dish, enough to taste but not fill, and almost never finish my plate with an entrée, hate to waste but it's always too large anyways.

Almost never order dessert, there are only a few worth it IMHO...sugar free coconut cake is one, along with Coconut Crème Brule.

In fact the only thing that almost does me in are the fresh rolls at dinner, VERY hard to avoid them! But I've learned to limit them at least.

But let's face it, we all know what to eat and what not, to stay thin. It's just a matter of choice.

The OP's question was advice on eating healthy. Most of the responses have been about compensating for eating by the gym, or the stairs, or putting it off till you get home.

The rules for eating healthy on a cruise are the same for eating healthy anywhere and don't need to be repeated. In my opinion, the big difference on the ship is the quantities available [that you have more or less already paid for]. So the rule for healthy eating I try to impose on myself [with varying degrees of success] is "You don't have to eat it all" and its corollary "You are not getting a better value by eating more."

I agree with many of the points already stated -- ESPECIALLY the one about not feeling as if you have to eat what you have PAID FOR... just because it is "free" does not mean you have to eat it !!

However, do not avoid the buffet to "save" yourself -- you will miss out on many buffet-exclusive items...(and, if you see it once, try it then, because you may never see it again !) and if you have a sample serving on your plate of each item, instead of an entree sized serving -- you will get to try many items without stuffing yourself. That's my big thing -- I have to shop conservatively at the buffet. I have taught myself to slow down so that I can recognize FULL and stop eating before it becomes SICK.

I know, I know -- it's all so good... :)

I stop by the buffet for a huge serving of watermelon every morning (since it's the only time you know you will see it every day), in addition to whatever else might interest me. I won't eat if it doesn't taste worthy of the calories and as much as I like waffles and pancakes, we all know that 95% of the time -- they will be cold before you put them on your plate. Not worth it. Continuing to eat it, hoping it will get better -- NEVER WORKS.

I have a lot of food allergies so I have to be aware of everything I'm choosing... it keeps me away from a lot of potential desserts (but nothing keeps me from the soft serve machine.) I'm diligent about my diet at home, so if I slip and add a few pounds on vacation -- no biggie -- they'll come off when I get home. I try to get to the gym every AM but not if it will conflict with excursions and other plans; I will try to work around the schedule.

Last cruise -- DH and I both got the flu 2 days before we got home... which really diminishes your appetite.... and I lost all my cruise weight with the flu germs. (It was awesome !! :D)

And if you love a food, and never have it at home -- go ahead, and have some. I NEVER eat bacon at home... but I had it for breakfast every day. It's protein, I don't like eggs, and the fat will keep you full longer. It's those breakfast potatoes that will kill you.... thankfully I don't eat those at home either.

Take advantage of things like the omelet station at WJ and the tutti salad bar in the MDR -- there are lots of healthy options here that taste good.

Just don't ruin your vacation obsessing about what you are or aren't eating, and how many times you have gone to the gym -- but do remember to pack some looser clothes for the last few days and the trip home.

Sandy

My approach is based on my lifestyle which is that I eat predominantly raw. However, on a cruise I make adjustments. In the morning I eat only fruit. For lunch I stick with raw vegies, salad, etc. For dinner I indulge, as I enjoy the luxury of a 2 hour dinner in the MDR. I am not a sweets person, but may try a desert or two at dinner and always enjoy a drink or 2.

I too utilize the gym facilities on "sea days" and love to walk. In Europe we walked 6 - 8 hours a day.

Take the suggestions given an apply what makes sense to you.

I agree. With all the stairs on board, it's hard to gain weight....it's constantly down to breakfast, up to pool, down to trivia, up to flowrider, down to freshen up, up for lunch, down for tv-tunes, up to pool, down to freshen up, up for coctails, down for dinner, up to explore on deck, down for show, up for nightcap....it's like an all-day stairmaster! There is a lot of walking, and a lot of stairs, so don't worry about gaining weight....it's not going to happen unless you just park yourself at the buffet and eat all the time.

If you are a healthy eater, you will know how to pick your food: stay away from fried, cooked in butter, sauces, etc. The less process the better for you.

If you are not a healthier eater, why would you chose this cruise to start? Seems like a deal breaker to me.

We find that we eat what we want, when we want, walk, exercise, take the stairs, don't drink our calories and we usually lose a little or maintain.

I eat healthy nearly every day, eat out and know how to pick my food. A cruise is not a time to start a new way of life! This one week will not be a deal breaker!;)

and I gained just one pound! Part of that time was in Rome where I ate in local restaurants, enjoyed the morning buffet and gelato everyday. We are DIYers and walk a lot, so that helps. The tall Colloseum steps are killers!

Onboard:

- eat lunch and dinner in the MDR

- for breakfast, don't eat like a lumberjack! I was shocked to see the mile high plates at other tables. I eat fruit and a protein and one small bakery item.

- if something you order isn't amazing, don't finish it. I especially leave a lot of soups and desserts unfinished. I don't seem to be very good at guessing what the dessert will really be like- lots are disappointing.

- don't touch the bread basket or butters

- only drink wine and NOT sugary drinks

- eat mostly poultry, seafood and fish main dishes

- walk or work out twice a day on sea days

- don't snack between meals

- don't eat so much at any meal that you are too full for the next meal

- I don't indulge in places like Johnny Rockets. I see that as a future cardiac event.

I have an appetizer and dessert for both lunch and dinner following these guidelines. BTW- I am a short 60+year old woman. I don't weigh myself onboard either.

Home about 3 weeks from cruise on enchantment. I manged to not gain any wait. I worked out a couple of times, and was active. For breakfast, I went light and did not over do it. For lunches, did Park Cafe Salads to order(they were the best!). Dinners, I usually had soup and maybe one other appetizer. One entree. I think the trick was only doing one dessert. Past cruises I think I over did it with desserts!

Has anyone else noticed that more and more people (cruisers and humans in general) live in one end of the extreme or another? I'm speaking of those who pursue exercise and nutrition with a near religious fervor and those who ignore both aspects of health to the point where their bodies are an absolute mess, inside and out.

I agree with the recommendations of using moderation and common sense. Exercise used to be incorporated into the process of living. Whatever happened to that concept?

Life should be a cross-training endeavor. Use the stairs and you won't need the tedium of the stairmaster. Walk your neighborhood (or the ship) each day and you won't have to waste time on a treadmill so boring that you need an iPod's distraction to make it tolerable. Pick up your children or grandchildren. Play hide and seek or toss a ball with them. They'll love you for it and you won't need the exercise for exercise sake of a weight room.

Eat healthy foods but splurge a little now and then. Enjoy alcohol, but not to the point where you're obnoxious, or your liver is apt to start rebelling.

JMHO

Enjoy yourself and don't feel guilty! Eat and Drink whatever you like! :D

When you start to feel full, QUIT eating!

That's what I do and never gain weight on a cruise ... sometimes even lose weight ... and I'm not at all over weight.

LuLu

~~~~

We've only done one cruise so far, but neither of us gained weight on it.

Being a Med cruise it was very port intensive, so port days were full of LOTS of walking (might bring a pedometer this time!).

We ate breakfast on board, but nothing too huge. I had a couple of pancakes and maybe some bacon and my other half had similar.

We only ever ate lunch once on board in 2 weeks, and that was a sea day where we'd overslept and missed breakfast! We were amazed to see people tucking into a full roast dinner, knowing full well in about 5 hours they'd be in the MDR having another 3 course meal!

During the day we picked up the occasional snack if we were really hungry, eg cake or cookies from the Promenade Cafe, but often we found that breakfast would see us through to dinner, especially on port days when we were too distracted to feel hungry.

We soon discovered that the MDR meals were better for us in that the portion control was much more appropriate. We never had more than one of any course apart from one day when the waiter brought us extra fish goujons as we'd raved about them, whereas in the buffet the temptation to add a bit of something extra was too great.

We didn't do any of this consciously, but both of us have had stomach issues in the past, and while we don't really have to watch what we eat, too much of the wrong thing causes us both problems that you really don't want to have when you're on holiday!

Has anyone else noticed that more and more people (cruisers and humans in general) live in one end of the extreme or another? I'm speaking of those who pursue exercise and nutrition with a near religious fervor and those who ignore both aspects of health to the point where their bodies are an absolute mess, inside and out.

I agree with the recommendations of using moderation and common sense. Exercise used to be incorporated into the process of living. Whatever happened to that concept?

Life should be a cross-training endeavor. Use the stairs and you won't need the tedium of the stairmaster. Walk your neighborhood (or the ship) each day and you won't have to waste time on a treadmill so boring that you need an iPod's distraction to make it tolerable. Pick up your children or grandchildren. Play hide and seek or toss a ball with them. They'll love you for it and you won't need the exercise for exercise sake of a weight room.

Eat healthy foods but splurge a little now and then. Enjoy alcohol, but not to the point where you're obnoxious, or your liver is apt to start rebelling.

JMHO

Amen!

JMHO

There's a lot of truth to that but unfortunately the type of "casual" exercise you advocate is not really intense enough for most.

I did all that stuff, played ALOT with my kids, walked all day at work but never lost weight until I started running. A lot.

Now after 4 years of running 20+ miles a week, 12 months a year (not always easy in Colorado!) I weigh what I did in college.

Certainly your plan is MUCH better than nothing, but for real fitness, especially as one gets older, current recommendations are for 40 minutes of intense exercise most days of the week.

JMHO

I disagree. I think most people care about healthy living, but are either misinformed, busy, addicted to processed foods, and in a few cases lacking motivation. Going to the gym to me is one of my favorite parts of the day! Sure it is work! But I feel like I can take on the world after. I am a better person and better parent for it. What you do may work for you, but I certainly don't feel like I am wasting time in a gym. In fact, I feel like it gives me the energy to do all of those extras you mentioned.

I am VERY food concious in my everyday life. I do not eat one ounce of processed food, do not eat any sugar (at all!) only sugar from natural sources - fruit, honey, real maple syrup. I only stick with whole grain. Drink only water, coffee (black) and red wine.

I also work out at the gym for about 2 hours 6 days a week.

My vacation is my only time for indulgence! I still try to avoid processed food and sugar (mostly) but I will not feel guilty having an extra serving of something!

SimplyAddicted: Really and truly there is no offense meant, but based on this earlier post in the thread, I'd say you slide nicely into the category of one who pursues nutrition and exercise with a near religious fervor. :eek:

I'm glad you love exercise, feel wonderful and energized by it and have found a food style that works for you.

My comments were directed more toward the less motivated (myself included) who live in the middle of diet and exercise country and aren't apt to move to either extreme anytime soon. We're the ones hoping to find and attempting to recommend healthier eating strategies while on a cruise - and interesting ways to up our physical fitness levels.

Perhaps it's the blind leading the blind, but we do understand each other...

As a group we indulge ourselves far more frequently than during our vacations, have been known to down a Twinkie or two, usually have had on-again off-again relationships with tequila after an ugly falling out or two, and may even have a boxes of Honey Nut Cheerios and Oreos lurking in our pantries, not to mention a little emergency Cool Whip in our freezers. Exercise isn't exactly anathema to us, but going to a gym is definitely not high on our hit parade. (Many have joined, but few have attended after the first two months...)

I personally have found that incorporating moderate food and upping general physical activity levels into my everyday life has been sufficient for my health and wellness goals (and my doctor agrees).

I eat whatever I want and drink whatever I want whilst I am on vacation and worry about healthy eating for the purgatory known as the time I am not on vacation.

If you have special dietary needs then I say bend the rules as much as you can.

Man or woman enjoy you are on vacation why place all these restrictions on youreslf!

• 2 weeks later...

just curious about the salad dressing offerings for Oasis ....

Do they have light dressings or fat free or only full fat dressings? I heard they have cruets, but will bring my own packets of dressings if there are no other options.

thanks!

Has anyone read the cover story "7 Cruise ship diet busters"? I'm a little appalled. Suggestions like "perhaps not eating for two day to prepare" for the Chefs Table, and "simply avoid all the for-fee establishments" are just pathetic.

There are healthy and reasonable ways to eat, behave and even responsibly indulge on a cruise. This came across as a sophomoric and hastily prepared attempt at something more than it is. Totally lacking substance.

So, how about we do it better?

What are some of your tips for enjoying a cruise vacation without going overboard?

On my first cruise I gained weight, the following ones no more than a pound or two which was water weight and came off a few days after bring home. I was on the ALLURE recently and walked more than I do at home and and was good. I eat sugar free as a routine, but did indulge at bit more on a cruise. But I also do not eat starches much and then only whole grains, and salads and lots of fruits and veggies. Drink lots of water. The worse culprit is actually the mixed drinks, but I drink wine as a rule.

On previous cruises I took the stairs as much as possible.

Archived