Am I crazy, or what?????

I'm a spur of the moment kind of girl and was in the need for a vacation. A couple weeks ago I booked a 7 day cruise on the Navigator departing from Rome on 6/2/13. Here's where the crazy part comes in......

My flight is scheduled to arrive in Rome at 1:15 pm on 6/2! I understand it's about a 1 hour drive to the ship and it will take time to clear customs. I didn't think twice about the flight when I booked it but after lurking on cc for awhile I'm starting to panic.

I did pay for rci transfers so they know my flight info. Will they wait for me if I'm on their bus?

I really think you have cut this way too short. You would need to check in at 3:30 PM. You have to pick up your luggage at the airport, clear immigration and customs and that can take a while. I would see if you can get an earlier flight. Ideally I would have arrived the day before.

Keith

I'm a spur of the moment kind of girl and was in the need for a vacation. A couple weeks ago I booked a 7 day cruise on the Navigator departing from Rome on 6/2/13. Here's where the crazy part comes in......

My flight is scheduled to arrive in Rome at 1:15 pm on 6/2! I understand it's about a 1 hour drive to the ship and it will take time to clear customs. I didn't think twice about the flight when I booked it but after lurking on cc for awhile I'm starting to panic.

I did pay for rci transfers so they know my flight info. Will they wait for me if I'm on their bus?

I have heard that if you book their transfers, as you did, that they will wait. I was on the Crown Princess a few years ago when it had to wait a couple hours for a bus load of passengers. This only goes for so long mind you. If a flight is delayed and people aren't arriving until 8 hours after departure, the ship isn't waiting. They'll fly you to the next destination. While not ideal, you at least have transfers with RCI which helps.

I really think you have cut this way too short. You would need to check in at 3:30 PM. You have to pick up your luggage at the airport, clear immigration and customs and that can take a while. I would see if you can get an earlier flight. Ideally I would have arrived the day before.

Keith

I didn't think twice about it at the time but now I'm sweating. It is a direct flight from Toronto and has been known to get in an hour early but I don't know if I should be gambling on airlines.

Personally I think you will be OK and the ship will probably wait if a lot of other folks are in the same boat.(flights are late) Did you happen to book through Choice Air?

I have heard that if you book their transfers, as you did, that they will wait. I was on the Crown Princess a few years ago when it had to wait a couple hours for a bus load of passengers. This only goes for so long mind you. If a flight is delayed and people aren't arriving until 8 hours after departure, the ship isn't waiting. They'll fly you to the next destination. While not ideal, you at least have transfers with RCI which helps.

That makes me feel better. Thank you.

I would look at an earlier flight.

I don't see them holding the bus nor the ship for you.

To me it is risky.

Customs and Immigration can take a long time.

Getting your luggage can take time.

I just think it is risky.

Keith

It is nice to hear that your flight has been known to arrive early; it gives a little extra hope. Booking the transfer may help a bit. Were the flights booked through choice air or independently?

Is changing to an earlier flight an option at this point? Even standby on an earlier flight? If not, perhaps study possible back up plans now from the comfort of your home computer. Are there flights to the next port?...or the one after? You might as well know the options ahead of time. Did you buy travel insurance (preferably a policy that covers a missed air-cruise connection as tight as yours)?

PS...Can you manage with just carry on bags? I have crammed a lot into carryon bags, even using space bags once...only for an airline does not weigh the carry ons. Sticking with carry ons will save valuable time at luggage claim.

Well, if that's CRAZY then IMHO, that's cool! Good for you and spontaneity!

To your question: I just booked the NoS for 05/26. RC told me that if my flight was in by 1:30, I'd be "okay". And, I think if you paid for their shuttle, it's a double safety net. Of course, buying the insurance would be a big help - if you buy insurance, and fly in meeting RCs requirements (the 1:30 arrival at airport), they'll pay to get you to the next port if your flight is delayed.

I'm flying in the same day as my cruise, but we land a 11:00. I'm not a big traveler, so really wanted a bit more time to get to the port.

So, relax. I know lots of people here wouldn't recommend your itinerary, but it's done. Worry about all the stuff you have to do, in a short amount of time, instead :)

I booked independently. Canada does not have the same delays that the US is experiencing right now due to furloughs. There is a flight the day before but I'm ot sure if i can make it due to work/ family. I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope for the best. If worse comes to worse I will board in Sicily.

If you booked your flight independently and it comes in late...and the ship leaves, you'll be on the hook for the cost of transportation to Sicily. And on the hook for figuring out HOW to get there...while you're jet lagged.

Can you check with work to see if they can give you the extra day? With such a wonderful trip planned, I'd want to get in early and have a chance to rest...and experience Rome in an easy way for dinner (and wine), which is very different than how you'd experience it on an excursion (think run, run, run). An extra night in Rome? How fabulous could that be? And you're already having to pay for the flight to get there so you might as well maximize the fun potential.

That's just MHO and is colored by the fact that I'd be a nervous wreck on the flight on the way over if I was worried about making the ship. And I like to start my vacation on the plane on the way over. But, being the spontaneous soul that you are, such things might not bother you, in which case, you'll be fine one way or another. They wouldn't bother my sister in the least (the only trips she plans are literally at the last minute and mine are booked 2 years in advance--which explains why we don't travel together :D).

Congrats on your trip!

I booked independently. Canada does not have the same delays that the US is experiencing right now due to furloughs. There is a flight the day before but I'm ot sure if i can make it due to work/ family. I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope for the best. If worse comes to worse I will board in Sicily.

Although I love your sponaneity - and wish I had it - if there is any way possible, I think I'd try for that earlier flight. We flew to Rome from Pearson last year and arrived early - but then it took us over an hour to get our luggage. You just never know what's in store. You sound pretty laid-back about it, but booking independantly means you're going to have to be responsible for all travelling costs - and that could really add up if you miss the ship.

Wow what a wonderful trip, but flying from Canada, on the sameday with an hours drive to Port is risky. What if your flight is late departing, especially with the problems we are having right now. I would love to be you and be able to jump at the chance to fly to Rome on the spur of the moment. Have a wonderful trip and hope everything goes smoothly for you.:)

You do have insurance, if not I would try to purchase it. I still think you are Ok but anything can happen.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I second the recommendation to try to only take carry-on bags. You can definitely fit 7 days of clothes for warm weather in a 22 inch roller bag and a tote bag. Saving the time collecting checked bags may prove to be valuable. And if you need something you didn't pack, you can buy a great Italian souvenir!

If you go to the Royal Caribbean website FAQ and do a search, you can find out what the latest time is to get into the airport for your specific cruise.

I would not have done that late of an arrival for your itinerary... I'm already freaked out about mine which is a couple hours earlier! My fiance and I are flying to Barcelona from the US for our honeymoon in October and due to our wedding schedule we are flying in the same day, but getting in at 11:40 am. We used ChoiceAir and RCCL's airport transfers and got trip insurance just to be safe (but again, there's still no guarantee). I'm hoping it all goes smoothly!

But I would definitely try to see if you can get an earlier flight...

Deserves a simple answer...

Are you nuts??

If you wanna cut it that close you have no room for any delays...at all. Is that a realistic expectation? Considering there is no airline in the world with 100% on time flights- what are you thinking?:eek:

Pay the extra fee to switch flights; call in sick to work; be there on time to enjoy your cruise. That's from a guy flying into PR at 2PM for an 8:30 sailing, who's now thinking he might want to switch his flight to the night before.:rolleyes:

Better safe then sorry.

I would be in PANIC mode. We booked a cruise that left from Venice and fortunately we were going to spend 3 days in Venice before the cruise. The plane left the states one hour late and we had a connection in Vienna Austria and of course we missed that connection to Venice.

NEVER, NEVER fly in the same day as the cruise, and YES we did book the air with the cruise line and pay for the transfers. We did contact the cruise line and notify them of the problem and were told we would be met at the Venice airport. That did not happen, and we had to make our own way to a hotel on the Grand Canal in Venice which cost quite a bit, even though this had been paid.

That was Europe, want to hear about Alaska from Florida? Again, scheduled everything with the cruise line. We never left Florida on time, so YEP, missed the connection and sat in an airport for 5 hours before we were able to fly to Seattle. AGAIN, we were flying in 3 days before the cruise........but, on both of these occasions we would have missed the ship.

JUST SAYING......sometimes it will work but with what is now happening with TSA, do you really want to take that chance?

Give yourself peace of mind and book a day earlier.

I have often run into technical issues with the equipment so they either delay departure or route pax. on alternative flights. You may be routed via Paris, London or another airport. Even after your flight have departed you can not be certain you will arrive on time.

In such cases it will not help if you only have carry on!!!

Have a relaxing flight.

I would be in PANIC mode. We booked a cruise that left from Venice and fortunately we were going to spend 3 days in Venice before the cruise. The plane left the states one hour late and we had a connection in Vienna Austria and of course we missed that connection to Venice.

NEVER, NEVER fly in the same day as the cruise, and YES we did book the air with the cruise line and pay for the transfers. We did contact the cruise line and notify them of the problem and were told we would be met at the Venice airport. That did not happen, and we had to make our own way to a hotel on the Grand Canal in Venice which cost quite a bit, even though this had been paid.

That was Europe, want to hear about Alaska from Florida? Again, scheduled everything with the cruise line. We never left Florida on time, so YEP, missed the connection and sat in an airport for 5 hours before we were able to fly to Seattle. AGAIN, we were flying in 3 days before the cruise........but, on both of these occasions we would have missed the ship.

JUST SAYING......sometimes it will work but with what is now happening with TSA, do you really want to take that chance?

For the Venice fiasco, did the cruise line reimburse you for the out of pocket expenses....Was it Choice Air?

Archived