How long till Cuba opens up?

mturvey

We had terrific holiday in Cuba a couple of years ago - we're Brits, so there are no restrictions for us. I couldn't help but wonder how long it will be before it opens up as a cruise destination. Lots of work to do, of course but Havana alone would be worth an overnight stopover. There's so much to see there and it is the largest island in the Caribbean.

We all know why it's not used yet but I wondered if the cruise lines were making overtures in anticipation?

You can bet there is a LOT of stuff in motion in the background. Until Castro kicks off, the US will probably keep right on ignoring Cuba. It is a shame, because we all know it is coming eventually. Lots of islands in the Caribbean will lose a lot of ships when it happens. I am surprised the current administration has not moved to normalize relations. Just watch for the death of Castro and it will happen pretty quickly.

We had terrific holiday in Cuba a couple of years ago - we're Brits, so there are no restrictions for us. I couldn't help but wonder how long it will be before it opens up as a cruise destination. Lots of work to do, of course but Havana alone would be worth an overnight stopover. There's so much to see there and it is the largest island in the Caribbean.

We all know why it's not used yet but I wondered if the cruise lines were making overtures in anticipation?

I agree, fabulous place and Havana is perfect for a major port stop. Not soon enough for me.

I hope not for a long long time. As a Canadian I enjoy an inexpensive land based holiday, pristine beaches and Cuban hospitality. If mega ships are allowed to dock I am afraid Cuba will loose its charm and lets face it....hotel prices will go sky high!

I was told by someone who is a First Officer on a Princess cruise ship, that Carnival already has plans on the shelf to move into Cuba as soon as the political situation changes. That said I would be amazed if the rest of the cruise world did not have similar plans jus t waiting for the go sign. Once Castro passes from the scene, the political wind may change for the better and at least open Havana to cruise ships. I guess we will all have to wait and see.

I for one would love to visit Cuba. What I have seen of the island (via binoculars from passing cruise ships) looks beautiful!

HI all!

We're Canadian so have no problem going to Cuba, matter of fact I've been

there 6 times to various all inclusives.

There is a company starting up called your cruise in cuba which will sail around the island from Havana or from Jamaica. It looks like they use an old Louis ship. We're considering this as Cuba is a beautiful BIG island with lots to offer.

~ Jo ~ :)

The website for that is very interesting. Packed and ready to go. :D The requirement of 'mandatory medical insurance', Passport and Visas will likely piss off a number of people on the board - especially the ones that refuse to get a Passport. If there are requirements for entry to Cuba, then lots of people will be left at the pier....ie: Mariner leaving Miami 'around the horn' left almost 300 people at the pier as they didn't have visas for Brazil. They ended up being flown to the ship after getting visas. Even if they didn't plan on getting off the ship, they still had to have one anyway.

All the cruiselines have plans set and ready to go when it does open. I read the President signed some executive order within the last 6 months extending the restrictions for at least another year.

I personally think it will probably be within the next 10 years. As soon as it does open up, Allure and Oasis will have a new port that can handle them.

So you know for a fact Cuba has a port dredged that can accomodate these two ships? If so what is the name of it and where is it?

So you know for a fact Cuba has a port dredged that can accomodate these two ships? If so what is the name of it and where is it?

The name is Havana.

Havana Harbor is an absolutely massive harbor and can accommodate ships with a draft of 42 feet. Oasis and Allure have a draft of 30 feet. The port of Mariel which is about 30 miles West of Havana could also handle them, but that is being upgraded to handle post-Panamax cargo ships. The idea is to try to move much of the commercial shipping to Mariel to free up Havana harbor for cruises and other tourism related activities.

I was told by someone who is a First Officer on a Princess cruise ship, that Carnival already has plans on the shelf to move into Cuba as soon as the political situation changes. That said I would be amazed if the rest of the cruise world did not have similar plans jus t waiting for the go sign. Once Castro passes from the scene, the political wind may change for the better and at least open Havana to cruise ships. I guess we will all have to wait and see.

I for one would love to visit Cuba. What I have seen of the island (via binoculars from passing cruise ships) looks beautiful!

I'm also a Canadian who loves to go to Cuba. Once when I was there visiting a fishing village, we saw a cruise ship stopped far into the ocean. Our guide, a Cuban of course, looked at me and said, " See that ?( pointing at the ship ) They are looking at the forbidden land." :mad:

While on a cruise, on one of the tours, I was talking about how beautiful Cuba was,this American woman was shocked and asked me if I was not afraid to go there.:confused:

Even if Castro dies, it will take some time before the Cubans will forget what was done to them . Canadians have seen first hand the misery these wonderful and proud people had to endure.

I've been to Cuba twice. Great country! The people are sooo friendly. I'd rather go there and spend a week at an all inclusive than 1 day on a cruise. I also like that the prices are low. Once the country opens up to Americans I'm sure the prices will go up

We were in Cuba in December on a land based tour with a company called Road.......

This was an educational tour & was just wonderful. We felt perfectly safe everywhere. The people were friendly and sites very interesting. This company has several tours to Cuba. Just order their catalogue and see what they have to offer. People who tour with this company are seniors. I am so glad we were able to enjoy this country & its people.

For those saying ships have plans...that is unlikely. Until the US opens relations with Cuba the ship would have to leave out of a non-US port otherwise every single American (the majority of cruisers out of US ports) would be prohibited from that cruise. That is a big risk for the cruise line.

Cuba is already ruined by tourists. The all inclusive resorts of Varadero etc are littering the cost.

I have been to Cuba more times than I can count as I am married to a Cuban. We go visiting every second year.

It will take decades to get the island up to shape again. Havana is now a ruin.

The difference between the first time I visited and last year is shocking.

European cruise lines have been stopping at the island for years already.

Next winter a Canadian company called My Cuba Cruise have chartered a Greek ship and will be doing 7 days cruises around the island. Its possible to embark both in Havana and Jamaica.

Cuba is already ruined by tourists. The all inclusive resorts of Varadero etc are littering the cost.

I have been to Cuba more times than I can count as I am married to a Cuban. We go visiting every second year.

It will take decades to get the island up to shape again. Havana is now a ruin.

The difference between the first time I visited and last year is shocking.

European cruise lines have been stopping at the island for years already.

Next winter a Canadian company called My Cuba Cruise have chartered a Greek ship and will be doing 7 days cruises around the island. Its possible to embark both in Havana and Jamaica.

You are not suggesting that Havana's condition is due to tourists????:confused:

I have been in Havana, and my heart still bleeds to see so much ruin and poverty. Walking on the sidewalks I could see bugs 1 inch long crawling out of first floor houses. Roofs caved in, balconies half falling etc.etc. Tourists didn't do this. The Embargo did! Thank God for the tourists that would go to Cuba and always brought at least a suitcase of school supplies for the children, clothes, diapers,feminine napkins, make-up ,toothpaste and toothbrushes, shampoo etc. and money!

What always amazes me is the way the Cubans face each day in these conditions with a huge smile!!!

You are not suggesting that Havana's condition is due to tourists????:confused:

I have been in Havana, and my heart still bleeds to see so much ruin and poverty. Walking on the sidewalks I could see bugs 1 inch long crawling out of first floor houses. Roofs caved in, balconies half falling etc.etc. Tourists didn't do this. The Embargo did! Thank God for the tourists that would go to Cuba and always brought at least a suitcase of school supplies for the children, clothes, diapers,feminine napkins, make-up ,toothpaste and toothbrushes, shampoo etc. and money!

What always amazes me is the way the Cubans face each day in these conditions with a huge smile!!!

No no no, the decay of Havana is due to neglect of the regime.

A regime that mistreats its people the worst way possible. a regime that makes good money on the tourists.

The ruin of the beaches and resorts are due to tourists.

Yes, its very disturbing to see what a bad shape such a beautiful country is in.

Archived