Garment Bags

kiwi_girl

What's the best way to handle getting garment bags on board? Slap a luggage label on them and give them to the porters or carry on? I understand we will have access to our cabin as soon as we board, is that right?

Our formal wear has to survive a longhaul flight in our suitcases so I figure it would be a good idea to utilise the iron at our pre-cruise hotel and then pack separately into the garment bags.

I see that you are on the Zaandam. That ship has it's own laundry rooms which contain an iron and ironing board.

If your garmet bags fit through the xray machine -- just like the ones at the airport for your carry-ons, then you get take them onto the ship with you.

But if they don't then you will have to check them with your regular luggage. Items in those garmet bags may get wrinkled as all luggage in put into big bins to go onto the ship -- and there is no particular order as to the way the luggage goes into the bins. Your garmet bags could end up on the bottom and items could get wrinkled.

Most of the time the cabins are ready by 11:30. There have been a couple of times since this new program began that the cabins weren't ready when we got on a ship.

kiwi_girl,

Zaandam has self service laundrettes on the Main Deck, Lower Promenade and Verandah Decks, equipped with washing machines, clothes driers and irons/ironing boards.

After the long haul flights we leave formal wear in the suitcase until we are on board the ship.

Do you have some of the plastic bags that the dry cleaners place over garments? I find that placing formal wear in these bags helps reduce creasing. When unpacking give garments a good shake before hanging.

I would let the porters handle it, but that's just because my garment bag and I had a falling out so to speak :D I did try to carry it off on debarkation and I slung my backpack over the handles, when my tiny little self got squeezed in to the back of the elevator and everyone went to get out it caused a domino effect of husband and I's and a couple of other people's luggage toppling over :D

If it isn't too awkward or heavy for you and it will fit in the x-ray, carry it aboard. You will know you safely have it handled 'gently'. Your cabin should be ready for you to go directly to when you board.

Archived