Moving cabins when less than two weeks out

Vexorg

I am booked for a 3-day coastal cruise on the Island Princess in a couple of weeks, and when I originally booked this, it was with me and two friends sharing the same room. At this point, I am starting to have second thoughts on this arrangement, and I'm thinking I might be better off just moving myself to a separate cabin instead. Based on the Princess website it looks like there is still availability, but I'm wondering if they would let me apply the fare from the first cabin (presumably the third passenger fare) to the cost of the second one if I did this. Has anyone tried it before?

If you move to a cabin on your own, I have read where you will be paying possibly 100% more for the privilege (the same cost as 2 adults in the cabin). This may make you think twice about going it alone!

I'm sure you certainly wouldn't get a cabin on your own for the price you paid to share with your two friends.

It might be more cost effective to get a bigger cabin. I have traveled solo before and it is much more expensive (100% supplement, but only taxes, port charges, insurance once). If you are in an ocean view or balcony, it is going to be cozy. You could also look into an interior solo. Those are usually not so bad.

Good luck

Renee

I don't know about princess, but last year we were on the Radiance of the Seas for Alaska. 2 weeks before departure I was able to get the wife and I into a family stateroom, twice the size, sofa and a separate bedroom to store our luggage. They normally will not book them for a party of less than 5, but will release them to anyone a couple of weeks pre cruise. I got it for a steal of a price and we had a suite sized room, just without the suite services or perks.

Good cruise but we are returning to Princess because we find the service is better.

You would be in effect asking for a free room as Princess would lose the revenue not only from sale of the cabin but also from the onbiard spend of those missing guests for no extra money from you.

But do let us know how you get on. Perhaps they will surprise us all.

My reading of the OP question was not that she wanted to move to her own cabin without paying any additional fare - she was just asking if what she had paid as a 3rd person in the original cabin could be applied to her fare for her own cabin.

Hard to say, this close to sailing. They might consider it a cancellation and new booking - but cancellations include penalties - and the new booking would probably include a 100% additional single fee, as others have stated. Since there are still available cabins you might get some deal, but hard to say. Calling Princess or your TA if the only sure way to know.

Seems to me the OP started this thread out in the middle of nowhere. The very first step in this process is to see if you existing traveling companions are amenable to revising the arrangements the OP is committed to with them. If OP backs out of existing arrangements without consent of her companions, there could be some pretty hard feeings all around. This is a fascinating question, I hope OP keeps us updated.

Archived