Hotels in Galveston, Texas

TThompson05

Needing help to find a hotel on the island not far from the strand. Flying into Houston the day before and need a place to stay close to the port and the strand where you can walk to shop and eat. And won't break the budget. Can anyone help?

Needing help to find a hotel on the island not far from the strand. Flying into Houston the day before and need a place to stay close to the port and the strand where you can walk to shop and eat. And won't break the budget. Can anyone help?

Harbor House

Best and closest hotels to the ship and the Strand is the Tremont House and Harbour House. Hotel Galvez or Tremont House is where we alwways stay. If you stay at Hotel Galvez, you can leave the car in their garage for free and they will shuttle you over to the ship... and pick you up.

Another favorite is the San Luis Resort and they will also shuttle you over.

Best and closest hotels to the ship and the Strand is the Tremont House and Harbour House. Hotel Galvez or Tremont House is where we alwways stay. If you stay at Hotel Galvez, you can leave the car in their garage for free and they will shuttle you over to the ship... and pick you up.

Another favorite is the San Luis Resort and they will also shuttle you over.

Just beware....most of the hotels listed already require a 2 night minimum. Single nights are probably available somewhere on the island, but you'll have to search for those and they probably won't be within walking distance of The Strand or the cruise terminal.

Look into a bed and breakfast! I know, they seem like they'd be expensive, but most are not. We got a room at Avenue O for $109, including parking across from terminal, full hot breakfast, one night minimum, nice, quiet atmosphere, bikes available to use, and walking distance to the Strand or the beach. Some have a pool or hot tub.

You can google bed and breakfast Galveston

or go to galveston.com

Good luck!

It was a couple of years ago- but we stayed at the Holiday Inn - Galveston, on the Beach.

$125.00-ish per night- no 2 night stay requited. Nice location - we did not need a car and used the shuttle to dinner and a local store to pick up last minute supplies.

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnresorts/hotels/us/en/galveston/glssb/hoteldetail

Harbor House is great. It is right on the water front and if you have the right room you can see the ships coming into port in the morning. It is so close to the port we walked over to board. We had two suit cases on wheels, a garment bag and a carry on. We also walked to the shops and stores on the Strand.

I found some pictures of Harbor House and the view.

The Conquest coming into port from the window of Room 301 of the Harbor House Hotel.

DSCF7610_zps7adb7fdf.jpg

We watched the Conquest turn around in the channel, then back into port.

DSCF7642_zps15ea2746.jpg

The following pictures are from our Port side Aft Wrap cabin on the Conquest. Fisherman's Wharf Restaurant and one other building are between the port and Harbor House. Our room in Harbor House, #301, is the top left window in the pictures. The room also had two other windows on the side of the building too. Room 301 had a separate living room and bed room.

DSCF7675_zps479a64d3.jpg

DSCF7676_zps84b84adb.jpg

DSCF7678_zps49d6002b.jpg

A couple of more pics to come below in the next post.

If "staying by the Strand" is your number one concern, you have all the recomendations and opinion's you need.

We have never stayed near the strand as we just go down there for a couple of hours the day before we depart. We have always stayed near Seawall Blvd.

The Galveston Island Hilton Resort is the best one we have used, we have used the Holiday Inn Sunspree resort twice and our last visit wasn't the best we have had but not enough that we would not stay there again.

There are several other resort style properties along the Seawall. Plenty of clubs, restaurants, shops and now there is Pleasure Pier.

We typcially fly in the day before, rent a car so we can drive over to see the ships sail in the morning of our departure and to get us around the island throughout the day. Dropping off the car is difficult as the Galveston Island Car Rental agencies are not open on Sunday so you end up paying for an extra day sometimes if they won't honor the "Sunday Drop Off" however that's not been such an issue that we don't rent a car.

We love Galveston and look forward to our journey on the Magic for our second trip and our Platninum Cruise this December.

We always stay at Guaido's. It's right across the street from the water and has two restaurants attached to it. I think it ran about $100 for a night. It's not a fancy place, but the food was good and the service terrific. If you drive, they'll let you store your car there. All in all an enjoyable visit and I'm looking forward to seeing them again in October.

We live in Houston and stay down in Galveston a lot and you can always get a great deal using Priceline.com and bid. Everytime we bid for a high star hotel near the Strand... We get either Hotel Galvez or Tremont House. You can try that as well -- if on a budget. Usually between $70-$80 a night.

We typcially fly in the day before, rent a car so we can drive over to see the ships sail in the morning of our departure and to get us around the island throughout the day. Dropping off the car is difficult as the Galveston Island Car Rental agencies are not open on Sunday so you end up paying for an extra day sometimes if they won't honor the "Sunday Drop Off" however that's not been such an issue that we don't rent a car.

How do you get the rental agency to allow you to do this, and what agency do you use? I called Enterprise today and they claimed that they don't allow drop-offs in Galveston. I would love to know how to do this. Thanks!

We always stay at Guaido's. It's right across the street from the water and has two restaurants attached to it. I think it ran about $100 for a night. It's not a fancy place, but the food was good and the service terrific. If you drive, they'll let you store your car there. All in all an enjoyable visit and I'm looking forward to seeing them again in October.

Gaido's:)

Thank you guys for all of your comments and suggestions. Looking for room for daughter and hubby on Aug 31st and sailing on the 1st of Sept. Labor day weekend....most are 2 day minimum and quite pricey. Did check out the B & B also minimum 2 day stay. I did find The Inn at Beachpark or something like that. Have passed along to them and let them choose. 4 generation cruise planned for next Sept in 2014. So research not lost....and looking now....planning to fly.

Main areas to stay

On the Gulf (seawall)(many motels and hotels)

On the Bay (Moody Gardens and Inn at Water Park)

Downtown Old Town Historic District by Port – Only (Harbor House and Tremont)

On highway coming into town(few)

----------------------

see INTERNET maps below for visual

of Greater Houston Metro

and to get bearings of island

galveston.com ....interact and discover.... maps

Houston Map PDF

Download Houston-area map in PDF Format:

Houston Metro

Galveston Island Map PDF

Download Galveston-area map

Galveston (B&W)

Galveston (Color Hi-Resolution)

----------------------------

In my opinion

San Luis, Hilton, Moody Gardens, Tremont, Galvez and Harbor House

are the better hotels.

Many other nice ones obviously!

There are 32 miles of Gulf of Mexico Beach on Galveston ISLAND

Toes in the water, Ass in the sand,

Not a worry in the world,

a Cold Beer in my Hand, Life is Good Today!!!

Zac Brown Band!!

Look into a bed and breakfast! I know, they seem like they'd be expensive, but most are not. We got a room at Avenue O for $109, including parking across from terminal, full hot breakfast, one night minimum, nice, quiet atmosphere, bikes available to use, and walking distance to the Strand or the beach. Some have a pool or hot tub.

You can google bed and breakfast Galveston

or go to galveston.com

Good luck!

I totally agree! We stayed for 3 nights at Grace Manor on Post Office Street and loved the historic district location. It was within walking district of the Strand. We even walked to the seawall and the harbor! Fabulous breakfast and beautiful home.

Just beware....most of the hotels listed already require a 2 night minimum. Single nights are probably available somewhere on the island, but you'll have to search for those and they probably won't be within walking distance of The Strand or the cruise terminal.

I was able to get a reservation for one night at Harbor House:D but not via their own website. I went through another internet site.

Archived