Flowrider coming to Voyager Class

Disappointed. Too many Rccl ships have the same features. Would love to see a little more variety. No reason to sail each ship if they all have the same stuff. But I'm sure they know what they are doing. I will say I sail Rccl less as each ship gets more and more the same.

What annoys me is how there is very little consistency with the refits. For example, Mariner is the only Voyager class with a Boardwalk Dog House, when they could have put it on the Freedom class as well. Likewise with Izumi and the Park Cafe. Why those weren't on the Independence refit I don't know. I would love to try out those places.

Disappointed. Too many Rccl ships have the same features. Would love to see a little more variety. No reason to sail each ship if they all have the same stuff. But I'm sure they know what they are doing. I will say I sail Rccl less as each ship gets more and more the same.

Only on cruise critic. :rolleyes::D;)

YES YES YES YES YES :) We live in Houston and LOVE cruising and only cruise on a RCCL ship with a Flowrider. This is a dream come true :D
For us as well!!! We are SOOO excited about a Flowrider out of Texas.

By the way, they are all the same size on Freedom and Oasis class ships. We have been on and ridden (extensively ;)) Liberty x2, Oasis and Allure. We researched it. These are Wave Loch's "doubles". If you look up Adrenalina in Ft Lauderdale or Aquashop in Plano, those are the singles. There is a very large one in San Diego at Wave House. Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels, TX has a boogie-only Flow Rider made of concrete. The one at the home along the Intercoastal inlet at Port Everglades is a double, just like the ones on the current RCCL ships.

P.S. Harold - I found my 2014 cruise! ;)

By the way, they are all the same size on Freedom and Oasis class ships. We have been on and ridden (extensively ;)) Liberty x2, Oasis and Allure. We researched it. These are Wave Loch's "doubles". If you look up Adrenalina in Ft Lauderdale or Aquashop in Plano, those are the singles. There is a very large one in San Diego at Wave House. Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels, TX has a boogie-only Flow Rider made of concrete. The one at the home along the Intercoastal inlet at Port Everglades is a double, just like the ones on the current RCCL ships.

Hey Susan. Good for you! I'll take a look at it for next year too. :)

I was wondering how they could do all that work in 30 days. But then I saw the pic earlier in this thread.

Will the flowrider be assembled ahead of time then lifted up by crane and placed in position? With no water it won't weigh that much.

You should check out RC's newest upcoming ship, Quantum of the Seas.icon14.gif

The back of Navigator may have to be reconstructed for a Flowrider, but time and space shouldn't be an issue. Navigator will be in dry dock for a month, and the size of the back is pretty much the same on her as the Freedom Class ships.

Left: Navigator ..... Right: Freedom

nv_deck13_v2013_mar.gif . fr_deck13_v2013_apr.gif

The flow rider will be the water hazard.:D

Hey Andrew,

Another "new" ship we can try and still get our Flowrider fix:D

I really want to take the family on a trip out of San Juan. If they add the Flowrider on to the Adventure of the Seas, my cruising choice for March Break 2015 will be made for me since it goes in for refurbishment in January 2014. Fingers crossed

I was wondering how they could do all that work in 30 days. But then I saw the pic earlier in this thread.

Will the flowrider be assembled ahead of time then lifted up by crane and placed in position? With no water it won't weigh that much.

It is remarkable what they can get done in a 2 to 4 week drydock. Hundreds of workers descend on the ship in a well choreographed dance of activity. Anything that can be preassembled or staged will be.

To put this Flowrider addition into perspective, it only took less than 2 months to cut Enchantment of the Seas in half, pull apart the 2 pieces, add a new 73 foot section to the middle of the ship, weld the now 3 pieces of the ship back together, and get everything hooked back up. It actually only took 31 days for this major structural work to be completed. The rest of the time was for normal drydock refurbishment.

Adding a Flowrider is a minor engineering task in comparison, even if it will likely involve cutting away portions of a deck or two, adding additional support, and doing some plumbing work.

The flow rider will be the water hazard.:D

LOL, love it :p

I imagine they'll just redesign the entire aft sports deck, eliminating the inline skating course and relocating the golf course, but we'll see!

I,ll bet the Park Cafe goes inside the Solarium.

I think I read somewhere the Park Cafe is replacing Cafe Promenade on deck 5.

I would guess the flowrider will be on the sports deck. The inline skating and golf simulator aren't use much, I think, so I'm sure if these are removed they can find a place for the flowrider. I wonder if us spectators will have bleachers to watch the wipe-outs (and wardrobe malfunctions)?

The Hyatt Hill Country is installing (has installed) a Flowrider; however, it is a single and I just found out that not only do you have to stay at the resort, they are charging you an additional fee to use the Flowrider. Same as if you went to Aqua House in Plano to ride. Personally, I think that is crazy to charge extra when you are already paying $300 a night to stay at the resort, but I am sure people will pay it. WE will not be those people.

If you ever want to take a weekend and ride a single Flowrider, there is one at Pirate's Bay waterpark in Baytown and you just have to pay to get into the park. We have our season passes and will be spending as many weekends as possible there. We were there last Sunday from 11 am until 4:30 pm. AWESOME day :D

E (Raptor's DW)

The Hyatt Hill Country is installing (has installed) a Flowrider; however, it is a single and I just found out that not only do you have to stay at the resort, they are charging you an additional fee to use the Flowrider. Same as if you went to Aqua House in Plano to ride. Personally, I think that is crazy to charge extra when you are already paying $300 a night to stay at the resort, but I am sure people will pay it. WE will not be those people.

If you ever want to take a weekend and ride a single Flowrider, there is one at Pirate's Bay waterpark in Baytown and you just have to pay to get into the park. We have our season passes and will be spending as many weekends as possible there. We were there last Sunday from 11 am until 4:30 pm. AWESOME day :D

E (Raptor's DW)

Wow. Didn't know that about the Hyatt. Wonder if I could find someone who works there? ;)

How do you like the single after riding the double? I have seen videos of the Plano one, but haven't been there. Loading seems quite a bit different.

I think I read somewhere the Park Cafe is replacing Cafe Promenade on deck 5.

I would guess the flowrider will be on the sports deck. The inline skating and golf simulator aren't use much, I think, so I'm sure if these are removed they can find a place for the flowrider. I wonder if us spectators will have bleachers to watch the wipe-outs (and wardrobe malfunctions)?

I would be very surprised if they replaced the Cafe Promenade with the Park Cafe. Cafe Promenade is usually open 24 hours. Park Cafes are not. I would think the solarium would be the more logical place or on the pool deck port side where the Boardwalk Dog House is on Mariner. I don't remember reading that there would be a Dog House on Navigator.

Wow. Didn't know that about the Hyatt. Wonder if I could find someone who works there? ;)

How do you like the single after riding the double? I have seen videos of the Plano one, but haven't been there. Loading seems quite a bit different.

It is more challenging. Loading is not a problem but carving has to be much quicker since you do not have as much room. You can't front load at Pirate's Bay because they just replaced the front and that tends to wear it out quickly. I have also noticed that the rise is different, but I have also noticed that on the different RCCL ships. The Freedom has the steepest rise but the water runs faster on the IOS. The rise is much more gradual on the Oasis and thus easier to ride :D

Let me know if you have any "inside tracks" to the Hyatt ;) I can see a road trip in our future :)

• 3 months later...
From Cruise Industry News

Royal Caribbean International announced today that it is basing 3,114-guest Navigator of the Seas year-round from the Texas port city of Galveston. The Voyager-class ship that first introduced ice skating at sea will sail seven-night western Caribbean itineraries after emerging from an extensive drydock revitalization in February 2014

During her drydock, signature Royal Caribbean features, such as the FlowRider surf simulator and dining venues like Giovanni’s Table, Park Café and Izumi Asian Cuisine will be added.

At the same time, new features such as Virtual Balconies for select interior staterooms, new panoramic oceanview staterooms – featuring full-length, floor-to-ceiling windows and unique new dining and entertainment concepts will be introduced to surprise and delight guests.

“We are thrilled to be homeporting Navigator of the Seas, with her new enhancements and first at-sea amenities year-round in Galveston,” said Lisa Bauer, executive vice president of Global Sales and Marketing, Royal Caribbean International. “As part of our commitment to delivering the most innovative and contemporary vacation experiences to guests, the iconic FlowRider, as well as the new Virtual Balconies, will be among a new range of amenities being introduced aboard the Voyager class of ships – making every ship our best ship. These exciting and unmatched onboard amenities on Navigator of the Seas, offer adventurous family vacationers many opportunities to be WOW’ed in ways that only Royal Caribbean can deliver.”

As part of an extensive program to enhance very ship in Royal Caribbean’s fleet, Navigator of the Seas also will receive many of the most popular and innovative concepts and amenities that were introduced aboard the world-acclaimed and revolutionary Oasis-class ships.

Wow, wished they already had it when I take my Trans Atlantic cruise in November. I doubt that I would have to stand in line too long during that trip. But since I am already booked for Feb. 23, 2014, I will have something new to enjoy.

From Cruise Industry News

Royal Caribbean International announced today that it is basing 3,114-guest Navigator of the Seas year-round from the Texas port city of Galveston. The Voyager-class ship that first introduced ice skating at sea will sail seven-night western Caribbean itineraries after emerging from an extensive drydock revitalization in February 2014

During her drydock, signature Royal Caribbean features, such as the FlowRider surf simulator and dining venues like Giovanni’s Table, Park Café and Izumi Asian Cuisine will be added.

At the same time, new features such as Virtual Balconies for select interior staterooms, new panoramic oceanview staterooms – featuring full-length, floor-to-ceiling windows and unique new dining and entertainment concepts will be introduced to surprise and delight guests.

“We are thrilled to be homeporting Navigator of the Seas, with her new enhancements and first at-sea amenities year-round in Galveston,” said Lisa Bauer, executive vice president of Global Sales and Marketing, Royal Caribbean International. “As part of our commitment to delivering the most innovative and contemporary vacation experiences to guests, the iconic FlowRider, as well as the new Virtual Balconies, will be among a new range of amenities being introduced aboard the Voyager class of ships – making every ship our best ship. These exciting and unmatched onboard amenities on Navigator of the Seas, offer adventurous family vacationers many opportunities to be WOW’ed in ways that only Royal Caribbean can deliver.”

As part of an extensive program to enhance very ship in Royal Caribbean’s fleet, Navigator of the Seas also will receive many of the most popular and innovative concepts and amenities that were introduced aboard the world-acclaimed and revolutionary Oasis-class ships.

Would be nice to have the Navigator come to New Jersey,and replace the new Amusement park of the seas. :) :D

Archived