Flowrider coming to Voyager Class

I'm pretty sure RCI ships have Flowrider Juniors. They weigh in at about 180,000 lbs. But yes, some modification will still have to be done. Also, 180,000 lbs is a big deal when 13 stories high on a ship. From what I know about ship stability, the modifications will be pretty extensive.

They could easily put it where the basketball court is or take out the golf and roller blade track. Won't weigh anymore than a regular pool would

I wonder if they will add cabins to get the virtual balcony cabins as most insides have the beds against the back wall and I don't think they are wide enough for the beds to be positioned as they are in balcony cabins.

I do hope that Adventure gets a flowrider as we are hoping to book her for July 2014. I think her refit is in April 14.

For the Voyager, Adventure and Explorer of the seas, I can see how the flowrider would be possible. They will get rid of the children's area slide and pool and the inline skating area to make room for the flowrider. However, the Navigator and Mariner are set up differently. There is no slide or children's pool. That space is where Adventure Ocean's 9-11 yr old program is and also the teen outside club area. Unless they will knock down the kid's area and put it somewhere else?

I'm pretty sure RCI ships have Flowrider Juniors. They weigh in at about 180,000 lbs. But yes, some modification will still have to be done. Also, 180,000 lbs is a big deal when 13 stories high on a ship. From what I know about ship stability, the modifications will be pretty extensive.

Thankfully! 362K might look like a canoe with twin 50's on the back. :D

I haven't pulled up any pictures, but I'm pretty sure Voyager Class already has a stern sponson on its hull. My concern is more for the structural support on the upper decks. It seems like major changes would need to be made in order to support it. That thing weighs something like 200,000 lbs.

And lets not forget about how much water and it's weight that would be needed for the Flowrider. The flow rate of the water on the Flowrider is impressive and I'm sure there has to be a reservior that the water circulates through.

If it wasn't possible, they wouldn't have announced it. The FlowRider Singles on the RCI ships weigh 362,000lbs, but you would be surprised at how much weight the deck can take. Some modification will be needed though.

What annoys me is how there is very little consistency with the refits. For example, Mariner is the only Voyager class with a Boardwalk Dog House, when they could have put it on the Freedom class as well. Likewise with Izumi and the Park Cafe. Why those weren't on the Independence refit I don't know. I would love to try out those places.

They are actually doubles. We have a single at the waterpark near our house :)

And lets not forget about how much water and it's weight that would be needed for the Flowrider. The flow rate of the water on the Flowrider is impressive and I'm sure there has to be a reservior that the water circulates through.

the 180,000 lbs is with the water

This ^

Isnt amazing how some here will question RCI engineering and even go as far as to say its impossible? :D:)

Who said it was impossible? Who questioned RCI engineering? :confused: For the record, I did neither. Ships have been a big part of my career for 20 years, so I take great interest in design, and I work beside a Naval Engineer, a Captain of the Port, and a handful of ship inspectors. When structural modifications need to be made to support an object, I learn from it and it benefits me.

But this is CC so naturally, some will take it completely the wrong way. ;)

I would hate to see the mini golf go away on the ships. It is an area that always seems to get a lot of use and by many age groups. The roller blading track is a different matter though. I've never seen one getting much use on the ships.

As for carving any space out of the solarium for any dining additions, the solarium is always packed with folks during sea days. Using any of that space is going to make trying to get seats in there even worse than it is now.

RCI could use diet water in the flowrider making it weigh a lot less.

Kidding aside, they cut the Enchantment in half and added a huge section.

Adding flowriders to the Voyager class is probably a lot closer to changing the daily elevator signs than stretching the Enchantment in the engineering scheme of things.

I would hate to see the mini golf go away on the ships. It is an area that always seems to get a lot of use and by many age groups. The roller blading track is a different matter though. I've never seen one getting much use on the ships.

As for carving any space out of the solarium for any dining additions, the solarium is always packed with folks during sea days. Using any of that space is going to make trying to get seats in there even worse than it is now.

Yes, they ruined Enchantment's Solarium this way. :(

I haven't pulled up any pictures, but I'm pretty sure Voyager Class already has a stern sponson on its hull. My concern is more for the structural support on the upper decks. It seems like major changes would need to be made in order to support it. That thing weighs something like 200,000 lbs.

A flowrider double, like what's on the Oasis and Freedom class, weighs 535,000 lbs (310 lbs/sq ft). A single weighs 362,000 lbs. :eek:

If it wasn't possible, they wouldn't have announced it. The FlowRider Singles on the RCI ships weigh 362,000lbs, but you would be surprised at how much weight the deck can take. Some modification will be needed though.

Those aren't singles on the Oasis and Freedom class ships. They're small, I suspect custom, doubles.

Navigator currently has the largest Adventure Ocean fleet wide - over 20,000 sq ft I believe. Maybe they will scale back the AO size and remove the roller blading track and use some of that space for a FloRider. My kids only used the roller blading track once and I never saw anyone else using it when we were up in that sports area.

They do as do the Freedom class ships.

Archived