Flowrider coming to Voyager Class

From Cruise Industry News

Royal Caribbean International announced today that it is basing 3,114-guest Navigator of the Seas year-round from the Texas port city of Galveston. The Voyager-class ship that first introduced ice skating at sea will sail seven-night western Caribbean itineraries after emerging from an extensive drydock revitalization in February 2014

During her drydock, signature Royal Caribbean features, such as the FlowRider surf simulator and dining venues like Giovanni’s Table, Park Café and Izumi Asian Cuisine will be added.

At the same time, new features such as Virtual Balconies for select interior staterooms, new panoramic oceanview staterooms – featuring full-length, floor-to-ceiling windows and unique new dining and entertainment concepts will be introduced to surprise and delight guests.

“We are thrilled to be homeporting Navigator of the Seas, with her new enhancements and first at-sea amenities year-round in Galveston,” said Lisa Bauer, executive vice president of Global Sales and Marketing, Royal Caribbean International. “As part of our commitment to delivering the most innovative and contemporary vacation experiences to guests, the iconic FlowRider, as well as the new Virtual Balconies, will be among a new range of amenities being introduced aboard the Voyager class of ships – making every ship our best ship. These exciting and unmatched onboard amenities on Navigator of the Seas, offer adventurous family vacationers many opportunities to be WOW’ed in ways that only Royal Caribbean can deliver.”

As part of an extensive program to enhance very ship in Royal Caribbean’s fleet, Navigator of the Seas also will receive many of the most popular and innovative concepts and amenities that were introduced aboard the world-acclaimed and revolutionary Oasis-class ships.

I find that very..................surprising.

Same here. If this is true, it'll be interesting to see what changes they need to make in order to make room for the Flowrider, not to mention structural support and ship stability. :confused:

Same here. If this is true, it'll be interesting to see what changes they need to make in order to make room for the Flowrider, not to mention structural support and ship stability. :confused:

My thoughts precisely.

You can't just take a three story office building and build three more stories on top of it.

Where will they put it on deck? I can't imagine what "extra" or "unused" space there is on the Navigator.

So much plumbing and weight to consider.

Doesn't sound possible.

And where are they going to put Izumi and Park Café? If they swipe Solarium space as they did on Enchantment, I will NOT be happy.

And where can they add cabins?!?!?!?

Wow...I wonder if this will be phased in across the entire class. I'm glad it doesn't specifically mention the Dreamworks characters. That whole direction is just too Disney for my taste.

Dreamworks is a non-factor. If you're not looking for it, you probably won't find it. Works for me.

Maybe something similar in concept to what they did on the aft end of Rhapsody? They added some sort of skirt (can't remember the correct ship term) to the aft end of Rhapsody to handle the additional mass added during the revitalization.

EDIT: I believe the structure added to Rhapsody is called a sponson.

Maybe something similar in concept to what they did on the aft end of Rhapsody? They added some sort of skirt (can't remember the correct ship term) to the aft end of Rhapsody to handle the additional mass added during the revitalization.

EDIT: I believe the structure added to Rhapsody is called a sponson.

I haven't pulled up any pictures, but I'm pretty sure Voyager Class already has a stern sponson on its hull. My concern is more for the structural support on the upper decks. It seems like major changes would need to be made in order to support it. That thing weighs something like 200,000 lbs.

Maybe they will eliminate the mini-golf course?

NAGH... Mini-Golf Course stays.... my bet is that that never used roller rink is gone on the other side of the deck from golf.

Big thumbs up! Just sailed on her out of New Orleans. Wonderful ship and crew!

Where will they put it on deck? I can't imagine what "extra" or "unused" space there is on the Navigator.

Doesn't sound possible.

And where are they going to put Izumi and Park Café? If they swipe Solarium space as they did on Enchantment, I will NOT be happy.

I'm thinking replacing the mini golf and/or in line skating might be where they put flowrider.

They could replace the cigar lounge with Izumi or maybe even Park Cafe. I would think rather than add additional cabins, the will be remodeling existing cabins to be the new panoramic OV's like they are doing with some of the interiors to add virtual balconies.

Unless they plan to really shake things up and add an NCL Epic top hat to add new cabins and flow rider on top!:eek:

Whatever they do, it looks like there will have to changes made somewhere along the promenade to make room for all the changes... can't wait to see the new deck plans!

This explains why the Voyager class ships don't have their revitalization set until 2014-2015 (to include Quantum upgrades as well)...I too would like to see what changes will be made to support the flowrider...personally I like the class as it is...

My thoughts precisely.

You can't just take a three story office building and build three more stories on top of it.

Doesn't sound possible.

Well we all know the value of rumors, so with that caveat clearly in mind as I say this we were told by crew this past March - who were remaining on board to assist with the refurb on Independence - that the side rooms in the main dining room were to be converted to panoramic view staterooms on that ship. Perhaps that would be the same location on Navigator as they are similar in design??

I haven't pulled up any pictures, but I'm pretty sure Voyager Class already has a stern sponson on its hull. My concern is more for the structural support on the upper decks. It seems like major changes would need to be made in order to support it. That thing weighs something like 200,000 lbs.

You're probably correct, there already is some structure on the stern of Voyager class ships.

I had no idea that the flowrider was that massive. That's an huge amount of new weight to support.

From Cruise Industry News

Royal Caribbean International announced today that it is basing 3,114-guest Navigator of the Seas year-round from the Texas port city of Galveston. The Voyager-class ship that first introduced ice skating at sea will sail seven-night western Caribbean itineraries after emerging from an extensive drydock revitalization in February 2014

During her drydock, signature Royal Caribbean features, such as the FlowRider surf simulator and dining venues like Giovanni’s Table, Park Café and Izumi Asian Cuisine will be added.

At the same time, new features such as Virtual Balconies for select interior staterooms, new panoramic oceanview staterooms – featuring full-length, floor-to-ceiling windows and unique new dining and entertainment concepts will be introduced to surprise and delight guests.

“We are thrilled to be homeporting Navigator of the Seas, with her new enhancements and first at-sea amenities year-round in Galveston,” said Lisa Bauer, executive vice president of Global Sales and Marketing, Royal Caribbean International. “As part of our commitment to delivering the most innovative and contemporary vacation experiences to guests, the iconic FlowRider, as well as the new Virtual Balconies, will be among a new range of amenities being introduced aboard the Voyager class of ships – making every ship our best ship. These exciting and unmatched onboard amenities on Navigator of the Seas, offer adventurous family vacationers many opportunities to be WOW’ed in ways that only Royal Caribbean can deliver.”

As part of an extensive program to enhance very ship in Royal Caribbean’s fleet, Navigator of the Seas also will receive many of the most popular and innovative concepts and amenities that were introduced aboard the world-acclaimed and revolutionary Oasis-class ships.

YES YES YES YES YES :) We live in Houston and LOVE cruising and only cruise on a RCCL ship with a Flowrider. This is a dream come true :D

If it wasn't possible, they wouldn't have announced it. The FlowRider Singles on the RCI ships weigh 362,000lbs, but you would be surprised at how much weight the deck can take. Some modification will be needed though.

What annoys me is how there is very little consistency with the refits. For example, Mariner is the only Voyager class with a Boardwalk Dog House, when they could have put it on the Freedom class as well. Likewise with Izumi and the Park Cafe. Why those weren't on the Independence refit I don't know. I would love to try out those places.

The FlowRider Singles on the RCI ships weigh 362,000lbs, but you would be surprised at how much weight the deck can take. Some modification will be needed though.

I'm pretty sure RCI ships have Flowrider Juniors. They weigh in at about 180,000 lbs. But yes, some modification will still have to be done. Also, 180,000 lbs is a big deal when 13 stories high on a ship. From what I know about ship stability, the modifications will be pretty extensive.

Well we all know the value of rumors, so with that caveat clearly in mind as I say this we were told by crew this past March - who were remaining on board to assist with the refurb on Independence - that the side rooms in the main dining room were to be converted to panoramic view staterooms on that ship. Perhaps that would be the same location on Navigator as they are similar in design??

This seems to be the spot RCI likes to use to cram in more cabins. Various Vision and Radiance class ships have had their private dining rooms removed and replaced with new oceanview cabins. For instance, right now Brilliance is in drydock having cabins added there as well as in other smaller public venues.

What annoys me is how there is very little consistency with the refits. For example, Mariner is the only Voyager class with a Boardwalk Dog House, when they could have put it on the Freedom class as well. Likewise with Izumi and the Park Cafe. Why those weren't on the Independence refit I don't know. I would love to try out those places.

I see it as variety. If they made every ship the same, what would be the point in trying different ones?

Archived