Emerald Princess' aft pool:

original.jpg

Emerald Princess main pool and Movies-under-the-Stars:

original.jpg

Kralendjik, Bonaire at night:

original.jpg

Emerald Princess at night in Aruba:

original.jpg

No reason you shouldn't be able to get good results form an 11-16 F1.8 lens. For the wide angle ship night shots I was using a Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 lens...steadied on a rail or flat surface. Since I was using longer exposures, the faster apertures didn't matter so much - same would go for your 11-16mm lens. Best results would actually come from stopping down a little bit, to F4-8, and using a fixed surface to run some longer exposures in the 1/2 second to 1/8 second range, or a tripod and letting it go into several seconds or more.

No reason you shouldn't be able to get good results form an 11-16 F1.8 lens. For the wide angle ship night shots I was using a Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 lens...steadied on a rail or flat surface. Since I was using longer exposures, the faster apertures didn't matter so much - same would go for your 11-16mm lens. Best results would actually come from stopping down a little bit, to F4-8, and using a fixed surface to run some longer exposures in the 1/2 second to 1/8 second range, or a tripod and letting it go into several seconds or more.

Thank you:)

WOW!!

There are so many wonderful pictures!!

I agree! I always thought a tripod was necessary to great good night shots, but maybe not anymore.

Just curious, how many people use a tripod (never see them on the ships), or do you use a night setting, or what's everyone's secret to a great shot at night?

Here are mine. I must first express a debt of gratitude to Bruce. I noticed his image of Juneau when he first posted it and said “Wow,” and it was on my bucket list to get a similar image. So, from last summer’s trip…

:)

Your images are beautiful!

I agree! I always thought a tripod was necessary to great good night shots, but maybe not anymore.

Just curious, how many people use a tripod (never see them on the ships), or do you use a night setting, or what's everyone's secret to a great shot at night?

I do occasionally take a tripod or monopod, but I often use a railing, top of a deck chair, etc. to rest the camera on. At least something to help.

No tripod for either of my panoramas above. With the advent of stabilization and usable high ISO, I have reduced my tripod use to long exposures, staged still-life and macro shooting...none of which I usually do on a cruise.

I shoot in aperture priority about 99% of the time and hold the camera "real steady" when it drops the shutter speed too far. Not much of a secret...:D

I wrote an article on low-light photography that has some tips on getting by without a tripod: http://www.pptphoto.com/articles/lowlight.html

Dave

No tripod on my pic either (post #17) but sometimes it will take me 4-5 shots before I hold the camera steady enough to get 1 that is in focus. I'm a newb with a DSLR, just got it right before the last cruise.

Dave, thanks for the link, I've been trying to figure out how to take good night shots by the "winging it" method, and not very successful so far. I will definitely check out your link.

I do sometimes bring a tripod - especially Caribbean cruises since I drive to port and it makes packing less of an issue. I shoved a cheap tripod in my luggage to fly to Quebec, because I knew I wanted to walk around that city at night and take some long exposures. Many or most of my other night shots are as the others mentioned - steadied on a counter, a chair, a rail, or something flat, and taking advantage of higher ISO and image stability systems.

Here are mine. I must first express a debt of gratitude to Bruce. I noticed his image of Juneau when he first posted it and said “Wow,” and it was on my bucket list to get a similar image. So, from last summer’s trip…

original.jpg

This is back under the Golden Gate Bridge on the same Alaska cruise.

original.jpg

And, a six second exposure somewhere in the Caribbean

original.jpg

Larry

Wow, these are beautiful!!!

Both of my shots were at ISO 200. You have to know your camera's capabilities and lots of practice.

And I'll admit these photos took more than one take.

Hand held at ISO 200? Pretty impressive.

Thanks everyone for the night shot tips. I've been wanting to buy a tripod, but I just can't imagine carrying one more thing with me- never knew how heavy just lenses could be!

Dave- Thanks for the link to your article. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Looking forward to more shots:)

SuperStar Virgo leaving Hong Kong

HKG%2520-%2520Virgo%2520151008%2520%25200070.JPG

Singapore - taken from 22nd floor of hotel

DSC08396.JPG

Disembarking Singapore pilot

DSC08547.JPG

On deck - Celebrity Solstice

DSC08732.JPG

Departing Sydney onboard Diamond Princess

DSC00582.JPG

Queen Elizabeth arrives in Tauranga - taken from Diamond Princess