Late August/Early Sept weather in Alaska?

gator582

Could be sunny, could be cloudy, could be rainy, could be warm and could be cool. Dress in layers and pack accordingly.

There are some great websites that show historical weather patterns and the princess website does that for various ports.

Let google be your friend.:)

Although past experience is no indicator of the future, last year the end of August was fine. We had no rain, took a light jacket most days but Ive done that in July in Alaska too. Also inside passage wasn't foggy like it has been early in the season.

Donna

Thinking of cruising late August/early September in Alaska. What kind of weather can I expect?

We cruised the frst week in september 4 years ago and it POURED rain...every single day!!!!! The week before and after were sunny. Go figure. Plan for a variety of weather, pack accordingly, and have fun!!!!!

We cruised in 2009 the first week of June. Weather was perfect. We cruised last sept and it poured everyday. It didn't stop us. We doned our rain ponchos and carried an umbrella and went about our tours. This year we are opting for the last week of May. Hoping for nice weather but it has been pretty cold in Seattle and AK. I think it is a toss of the coin. We will layer clothing and plan or cold or warm.

We took a one way cruise from Whittier to Vancouver on Sept 5-12th last year. It rained nearly every day in Alaska.

It rained in Whittier.

It was clear and sunny when we saw Hubbard Glacier.

It was rainy & foggy in Glacier Bay.

It rained in Skagway. We rented a car in Skagway and drove to Emerald Lake in Canada. It rained until we crossed the border into Canada. It was gorgeous on the Canadian side. When we crossed back to go to Skagway, it rained the rest of the way.

It rained in Juneau.

It sometimes rained in Ketchikan. There were some periods of sun and blue sky that day.

As soon as the ship left Ketchikan and entered Canadian waters, the sun came out and the weather was wonderful all the way to Vancouver.

Go figure.

Although past experience is no indicator of the future, last year the end of August was fine. We had no rain, took a light jacket most days but Ive done that in July in Alaska too. Also inside passage wasn't foggy like it has been early in the season.

Donna

We were there shortly after you (early September) and got rain almost every day. Overcast and cloudy almost the entire trip with just a patch or two of blue skies. the rain wasn't too bad though, not terenchal down pours, just rain.

Frankly, being from Southern California we aren't use to living our lives in rain. If it rains here we stay in and watch movies until it goes away, then go about our business. My point, is that daily rain is not our thing at all but we had a great trip and it never got in the way of an amazing cruise!

Loved the wildlife, loved the scenery, loved the ice. I won't hesitate to cruise Alaska at any time going forward.

The replies should indicate, you can not count on any weather. :) So, the ONLY issue is to be WELL prepared in your attire. Will make all the difference.

In this timeframe, it is also usually a better bet to go northbound, if doing a combo trip. The inside passage falls off far more significantly compared to mainland Alaska. Later there also has the Northern Lights potential. :) Be very aware of dates, IF going to Denali Park. Shuttle close down by mid Sept.

I don't think you can predict it.

We sailed last Sept 1st and had everything

Set Sail out of Seattle - I was too warm in jeans and tshirt, DH wore shorts and tshirt

First sea day - started out foggy, but quickly burned off to sunny sunny sunny. stayed out on our balcony all day in jeans and long sleeve shirt. Put fleece jacket on in the late afternoon

Juneau - cold and rainy - our Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer excursion was cancelled due to weather, as well as all flightseeing tours and Taku Lodge. Went whale watching and stayed outside on the deck the whole time in long Johns, rain pants, polartek fleece and 3in1 triclimate jacket with hood up. We were the only ones out on deck. Everyone else stayed inside.

Glacier Bay - we stayed outside the entire day. morning: cold cold cold, bundled in longjohns, polartek fleece, rain pants for windbreaker, sweater, and triclimate jacket, beenie with jacket hood up, and gloves. By noon: sunny sunny, sunny in tshirts and jeans. By 3 or 4 pm clouds moved in over Johns Hopkins Glacier and we were freezing in our morning bundle.

Sitka - cloudy and misty, but not too cold. Wore polartek pants and long sleeve shirt most of the day for walking out to raptor center and historical park. Misty on the way back and a little cold so pulled on the outer shell of my triclimate jacket. Heavy fog closed in as we sailed out, with fog horns blowing.

Ketchikan - morning sunny on coast, partly cloudy inland.. Wore jeans and tshirt with fleece jacket for Mountaintop Flightseeing and crab feed but ditched the jacket on the plane. Afternoon: Sunny sunny sunny but cold as we sailed out of Ketchikan. Stayed out on the balcony the rest of the day in jeans and triclimate jacket

Victoria - warm and sunny! Spent all day on the balcony in shorts and tshirt. Evening: put on jeans and carried jacket to walk along the harbour path. Put fleece jacket on during the walk back around 10pm.

Seattle hot and sunny shorts weather. They were going through a heatwave and record breaking dry spell though. Not typical Seattle weather.

Edited by NoobCruise

We went early last September and expected rain and cold the whole time (but prepared for every type of weather just in case!), but it wasn't bad at all. Most days were chilly and maybe a little misting, but also had beautiful and sunny hours thrown into the mix. Like everyone else said, make sure to bring clothes for every type of weather - Alaska is very unpredictable! Have a GREAT time!

• 1 year later...

For what its worth, the latter part of August and first week of September are my favorite times of year up here, and I've been here all my life.

You didn't indicate whether or not your cruise is just limited to Southeast or crossing the gulf and visiting central Alaska (Ports--Whittier or Seward). Regardless, coast or interior, still my favorite season.

It is certainly true that the weather situation is a toss up, so don't plan around it. The last half of May used to be regarded as chilly and wet, but in recent years some Mays have been fabulous, like this year. June hasn't been so nice, but then the 4th hit with temperatures above 80 and beautiful blue skies over most of the state, except Southeast.

One thing for sure, no mosquitoes (We have a bad bug year going in the interior of Alaska this year, but we had been getting soft as this is the first tough one in some time.) and in the interior after the first week of August we start getting some beautiful Fall colors.