Revamped Carnival Sunshine facing problems in maiden voyage

On a Caribbean cruise out of New Orleans, I'd agree with your argument. But on a European sailing in the Mediterranean??? I doubt there's a single person on that ship that said: "lets pay thousands of dollars to fly to Europe and take a Mefiterranean cruise so that we can experience the ship's water park!"

Well = you're making a bit of an assumption that everyone on Mediterranean cruise are American and have flown a long way and paid thousands to "do Europe". Some of us are actually Europeans enjoying our holidays, relaxing with our families (using the waterpark and other facilities) We chose the cruise for a family holiday ...not to "do Europe" This is normal holiday to us and we will be staying on board at some ports, so that we can enjoy the facilities when most fold are off on their many tours ...we've done them all before. In fact, if you get off at every port and do a full day tour in the Mediterranean heat , you may very well end up totally burned out! and yes, we expect the major facilites, waterpark, sportspark and entertainment etc to be fully functional ...we too have paid a lot of money and save d hard all year

I'm sure that guests who are inconvenienced will be compensated accordingly. Carnival seems to be pretty good about offering OBC and refunds for inconveniences. Personally never experienced that, but have sailed on a ship with a broken elevator, which was no biggie. My mother and stepfather sailed their 1st cruise and had 1 of their 2 bottles of wine confiscated from their carry on, even though they were following the rules. They inquired why it was taken at Guest Services and because it was a mistake they were given $50 OBC, a free bottle of champagne and the $7 bottle of wine that was confiscated was returned to them at the end of the cruise with an apology letter. I can only hope one of my bottles gets taken from us so that we can make out like bandits too lol.

The only problem I have read about that would be enough for me to complain would be a lack of hot water. I cannot stand taking a cold shower. If my skin doesn't turn pink and risk scalding, it's not hot enough for me and I would hope that if I was to be so inconvenienced Carnival would do right by me and compensate in some way to make up for it. I certainly would and do expect to have access to a hot shower while I am cruising. If I wanted cold showers I'd go camping.

How can they be lopsided? They are mostly pictures and people will interpret them how they will. I show good and bad. I just don't rant incessantly like some.

NO ONE can say that Sarge shows ONLY the good side of Carnival....

DSC_5959_Zyde.jpg

On a Caribbean cruise out of New Orleans, I'd agree with your argument. But on a European sailing in the Mediterranean??? I doubt there's a single person on that ship that said: "lets pay thousands of dollars to fly to Europe and take a Mefiterranean cruise so that we can experience the ship's water park!"

Honestly, do you really think that the only nationality out there is American!!!! Come on!!! There are europeans and other nationalities on the ship also.

I've done 2 med cruises and have had plenty of holidays in most of the countries Im visiting on my 3rd med cruise. While I whole heartily believe that minor issues are always expected in the first few sailings, the water works delay is inexcusable. For us traveling with a 6&4 year old (50% of our traveling party) the water works were one of the main reason we booked this ship. In saying that I have no doubt that this issue will be promptly fixed but Im just glad that we weren't on this sailing.

Lets hope that there were no little kiddies utterly disappointed by this "minor issue".

I refrain from replying to these threads. I've never cruised with Carnival, so my thoughts might appear biased or coming from some outside motivation. Whatever.

People have certain expectations when they're paying the kind of money that puts them on a cruise. The ship has a huge responsibility to not only meet those expectations, but to exceed them.

Are ships perfect? No, they aren't. Carnival has been hit hard lately, though. It cannot afford even small complaints. If it cannot dot those "i"s and "t"s, then it better figure out other ways to satisfy their Customers. Discounts, free stuff, better entertainment. Something.

Carnival were let down big time by a tiny percentage of the companies they put faith in, who unfortunately were responsible for a large number of the work force onboard. While they are ultimately responsible for the end result, I can't hold them at fault for it, even more so when I know they're doing all they can to resolve it

...Dave, thank you so much for coming back and adding your professional comments to this thread. You have no horse in this race. Your comments are truthful and not bias or slanted.

...Do people now believe why the ship wasn't 100% operational? When there is sabatoge involved, the results are sometimes not found until realized by the end user. Hence, when the staterooms were checked for completion and signed off on, there could have been situations to cause problems after the fact.

...Regarding the waterpark, again, there is a logical explanation. It had been said earlier in the thread, and again by Dave, that weather in Italy that last week of dry dock was a factor. The fact that it may take another day or two to get the flooring complete is certainly not a reason to cancel this particular cruise.

...There are people that love Carnival's product. There are people here who hate Carnival's product. But one thing is for sure...None of us in this thread have sailed on the Sunshine. How is it that people are putting the ship down? I enjoy hearing the good things about a ship, along with the bad things. This is a "critic" site. But, before you're a "critic" of a certain ship, how about waiting until you sail on her?

Honestly, do you really think that the only nationality out there is American!!!! Come on!!! There are europeans and other nationalities on the ship also.

I've done 2 med cruises and have had plenty of holidays in most of the countries Im visiting on my 3rd med cruise. While I whole heartily believe that minor issues are always expected in the first few sailings, the water works delay is inexcusable. For us traveling with a 6&4 year old (50% of our traveling party) the water works were one of the main reason we booked this ship. In saying that I have no doubt that this issue will be promptly fixed but Im just glad that we weren't on this sailing.

Lets hope that there were no little kiddies utterly disappointed by this "minor issue".

Exactly. for goodness sakes, read John Heald's reports on who gets off and who doesn't in each port and you can see that many stay on the ship. I would be pissed if the water works and the pool were closed because they weren't done. My kids would have been looking forward to that part of the cruise very much.

...Dave, thank you so much for coming back and adding your professional comments to this thread. You have no horse in this race. Your comments are truthful and not bias or slanted.

...Do people now believe why the ship wasn't 100% operational? When there is sabatoge involved, the results are sometimes not found until realized by the end user. Hence, when the staterooms were checked for completion and signed off on, there could have been situations to cause problems after the fact.

...Regarding the waterpark, again, there is a logical explanation. It had been said earlier in the thread, and again by Dave, that weather in Italy that last week of dry dock was a factor. The fact that it may take another day or two to get the flooring complete is certainly not a reason to cancel this particular cruise.

...There are people that love Carnival's product. There are people here who hate Carnival's product. But one thing is for sure...None of us in this thread have sailed on the Sunshine. How is it that people are putting the ship down? I enjoy hearing the good things about a ship, along with the bad things. This is a "critic" site. But, before you're a "critic" of a certain ship, how about waiting until you sail on her?

i can only gather that you missed the first two posts from people actually on the ship that were relaying their experiences.

i can only gather that you missed the first two posts from people actually on the ship that were relaying their experiences.

Or how about the person who posted on this thread that reported from her mother that there isn't much to the hype and things were not that bad. Hmmm

So to summarise.... do I think it's right / fair that paying passengers going on their dream holiday are subjected to problems and areas closed for works? No, not even remotely acceptable, and I'm confident Carnival will do what they can to compensate for it. Is that enough to make up for it? I guess that's up to each indivual wishing to be compensated, none of which as yet are here discssing this so to me is irrelevant. All I can say in Carnivals defence on this, is that they DID all they could to have a ship finished for those joining it... you will never ever see a more dedicated and commited team than there was on board that ship from the CCL side of things, pushed to the limits physically and mentally to achieve the unachieveable, because the truth is, if that ship stayed in that yard until it was 100% finished, it would become a museum for Trieste tourists... it got to the point it was being broken faster than those trying to finish it could keep up. Carnival made the right choice to finish the rest in service with contractors they could trust and keep an eye on the progress of

Thanks for this very interessting information DDD. I wanted to add to my previous post that while I would be upset about the waterworks/pool etc, I would also be smart enough to know that Carnival themselves was not building the ship. To the person who wants to know if they shouldn't be upset with Mercedes for their car being broken, your Mercedes is built by Mercedes. Doesn't mean I think Carnival is off the hook completely here, but there is perspective as well.

'

Looks like the Dow has seen through the veneer and smoke screen the media is presenting.

Carnival stock is up 49 cents today!!!!!

The way the media presents Carnival reminds me of a store that sells a winning lotto ticket.

Joe's liquor store sells a winning lotto ticket and the media reports it as " Joes liquor sells 200 lotto tickets but only one was a winner. Less than half of one percent "

Looks like the Dow has seen through the veneer and smoke screen the media is presenting.

The way the media presents Carnival reminds me of a store that sells a winning lotto ticket.

Joe's liquor store sells a winning lotto ticket and the media reports it as " Joes liquor sells 200 lotto tickets but only one was a winner. Less than half of one percent "

Don't spend that windfall all in one place. Be sure to spread the wealth around!!

After reading these posts for a few days, I realize that some of you are very rigid and want to penalize Carnival. Others are flexible and understand that problems can happen.

An old philosophy I have heard is that ALL cruisers make the cruise line happy !!!

Some by coming --------------------Some by leaving !!!

You get to choose the group you stay in.......

LOL in 2 years dow is up over 30% and CCL is down 25% - congrats on that $.49!!!!

...Regarding the waterpark, again, there is a logical explanation. It had been said earlier in the thread, and again by Dave, that weather in Italy that last week of dry dock was a factor. The fact that it may take another day or two to get the flooring complete is certainly not a reason to cancel this particular cruise?
Actually the work should have been done according to contract at least three weeks before she went back into service. The work as stated by Carnival was not on the original dry dock plan but in addition and had nothing to do with the waterpark.

Face it Carnival has a huge PR problem and this was the last thing they needed. If you can see the "little things" that are not ready, shouldn't you be worried about the things that matter that are not ready either?

It is easy to hear from someone who is not affected by having cold water for a shower that things are just minor, however since 95% of the cruising public will never visit CC or even know what it is, it will be interesting to see what actually did occur.

Shame on the management of Carnival for allowing this sailing to take place.

The media might embellish the news.;)

So are you saying it's all the media's fault in this case?

Did they make this stuff up?

No I am not but they should report not embellish the news.

Actually the work should have been done according to contract at least three weeks before she went back into service. The work as stated by Carnival was not on the original dry dock plan but in addition and had nothing to do with the waterpark.

Face it Carnival has a huge PR problem and this was the last thing they needed. If you can see the "little things" that are not ready, shouldn't you be worried about the things that matter that are not ready either?

It is easy to hear from someone who is not affected by having cold water for a shower that things are just minor, however since 95% of the cruising public will never visit CC or even know what it is, it will be interesting to see what actually did occur.

Shame on the management of Carnival for allowing this sailing to take place.

What would you have done ?????????????? Do you know how many cabins didn't have hot water ????

I love cruising Carnival. THat being said, I could care less about the amusement park attractions. But - If I was taking grandson ( which we usually do) I would be upset if the waterworks wasn't working. From Carnival.com just a few minutes ago. "

A fleet first: Carnival Sunshine's WaterWorks area introduces Speedway Splash, featuring two lanes of long-distance waterslide racing action.

I think on a TA if it was completely inoperable, not because of weather, but because it wasn't finished, I would want a full refund. I agree that stuff happens, especially after a lengthy dry-dock. But they are not giving these cruises away. They are charging money for them - if the ship is not ready, it's not ready.

Hi All,

First post on here after reading for a few months reading! Avid cruiser and work within the Industry!

I am booked on the 30th August sailing on the Sunshine from Barcelona to Venice and looking forward to seeing what she is all about.

I spent an night on an agent visit on the Breeze and the the guys I spoke to Carnival convinced me that Sunshine will be an amazing rebuild. So far she hasnt got off to a great start!!

We have been told that engineers will be onboard the Sunshine until all the issues are ironed out, which they believe will be when she returns to venice in around 20 days time.

Hopefully we will see all the issues fixed and everyone get enjoy a fun filled 9/12 day trip around the Med!

If I were Carnival, I would be seriously reviewing where they choose to build and refurbish their ships.

Perhaps they are already beginning to test other shipyards given that the new AIDA ships are being built by Mitsubishi.

Archived