Possible to disembark before cruise is over?

I'll be going on a cruise soon and I might need to cut short my cruise and get back to work :(. Is it possible to disembark at one of the stopover ports before the cruise is over? I'll have to disembark in Norway if that is of any help for anyone trying to answer my question.

I'll be going on a cruise soon and I might need to cut short my cruise and get back to work :(. Is it possible to disembark at one of the stopover ports before the cruise is over? I'll have to disembark in Norway if that is of any help for anyone trying to answer my question.

Yes, it's possible, but has to be arranged with the cruise line ahead of time.

Bob, thanks for answering. Can I know what do you mean by "arranged ahead of time"? Before the day I want disembark or before I embark during check in?

Yes, it's possible, but has to be arranged with the cruise line ahead of time.

Bob, thanks for answering. Can I know what do you mean by "arranged ahead of time"? Before the day I want disembark or before I embark during check in?

I would be talking with the cruise line well before you embark.

On our first cruise we ran into issues with a hurricane. My brother lived in FL at the time and the hurricane was expected to hit their area in a few days. We had port changes and ended up in Tampa. They denied my brother the ability to leave the cruise in Tampa. They even told him they could press charges if he tried to just not come back to the ship. He sure felt like it was a prison then!

On our first cruise we ran into issues with a hurricane. My brother lived in FL at the time and the hurricane was expected to hit their area in a few days. We had port changes and ended up in Tampa. They denied my brother the ability to leave the cruise in Tampa. They even told him they could press charges if he tried to just not come back to the ship. He sure felt like it was a prison then!

Letting him off in a US port other than the one where the ship sailed from would be a violation of the Passenger Vessel Service Act. The cruise line would be susceptible to fines for transporting someone from one US port to another on a foreign flagged vessel without first visiting a distant foreign port.

There are issues resulting from our somewhat arcane laws. There is a potential fine [$300 I think] if someone leaves the ship at a US port after embarking at another US port [without an intervening stop at a distant (i.e. not Canada Mexico or most Carribean ports) foreign port]. I don't think there is a criminal penalty. Anyway, OP's issue will be in Norway, so this particular US law won't be involved.

[What UCF said]

Make sure you let RCI know your plans beforehand.

Last year there was a family of 3 on a Carnival ship who went "missing" in Jamaica. The Jamaican police were searching for them for awhile and the story of the missing family showed up on the news wires.

The family was eventually found at a resort. It turns out they just didn't like the cruise and decided to stay in Jamaica before flying home. I don't remember seeing any follow-ups on the story, but at the time the Jamaican authorities were looking into some sort of fine or punishment for the family for staying in Jamaica illegally beyond the time they had been permitted to stay.

Can I embark or disembark at a port other than the departure port?

Yes! Sometimes called 'Partial Cruises' this allow you to enjoy part of your cruise holiday in the event that you are unable to meet the ship in the scheduled boarding port, or would like to end your cruise earlier than the scheduled departure date.

Requests for security clearance concerning late boarding or early departure must be submitted in writing to the Guest Flight Operations office for consideration at least one week prior to sailing date. Guests must have a confirmed reservation in order to receive clearance. If the reservation was made by a travel agency, the agency must submit the request on the guests behalf. Guests with reservations made directly through Royal Caribbean International or royalcaribbean.co.uk can submit their request by calling 0844 493 4070.

If guests are pre-approved for boarding/departure in an alternate port of call, the ship's security staff is notified to expect the guests at the designated port. The approved guests are responsible for making all travel arrangements and will incur any additional expenses (for flights, hotels, transfers to the pier, etc). The cruise price will not be discounted if guests decide to take a 'Partial Cruise', even though they are not travelling for the full duration.

Restrictions: Certain countries, such as the U.S., Italy and Norway, have cabotage laws affecting passenger movements. These laws restrict foreign flag passenger vessels (such as those operated by Royal Caribbean) from transporting guests from one port to another port in the same country. In the U.S., the cabotage law applicable to the cruise industry is commonly called the Jones Act but is legally titled the Passengers Services Act. A brief summary of this U.S. law follows:

If a passenger (as listed on a vessel passenger manifest) embarks in a U.S. port and the vessel calls in a nearby foreign port (such as Ensenada, Grand Cayman and Nassau) and then returns to the U.S., the person must disembark in the same U.S. port. A passenger who embarks and disembarks in two different U.S. ports (such as Los Angeles and San Diego) would result in the carrier (not the violator) being fined. The vessel must call in a distant foreign port before the U.S. embarkation and disembarkation ports can differ. The nearest distant foreign ports are in or off the coast of South America. If either the passenger's embarkation port or disembarkation port is in a foreign country, then the provisions of this cabotage law do not apply. Nor do they apply in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Similar passenger movement restrictions exist for cruise vessels calling in Italy and Norway.

Royal Caribbean International maintains the right to deviate from any scheduled port of call without prior notice. Royal Caribbean International is not legally liable for any loss to guests caused by reason of the deviation. In addition, while Royal Caribbean International will attempt to follow our published schedules as closely as possible, they are not responsible if the published times at any ports of call cannot be adhered to. However, Royal Caribbean International will attempt to keep our guests informed of any changes.

Yes, you can disembark from a cruise at short notice.

A relative of mine embarked a HAL cruise in Quebec and shortly after sailing received word that his sister died in Dallas. He called his TA on her cell phone about 8pm on a Saturday evening. She had not actually booked the cruise as he was on a trip with his university alumni group. She had made his air and hotel reservations for him. She pulled his itinerary off the HAL website, and advised him which port had air service and told him to notify guest services that he would be getting off in that port. While he did that, she booked him a ticket to Dallas so he could attend the 11am funeral service two days hence and booked him on a return flight from Dallas to Montreal at 3pm, as well as making hotel reservations for him in Dallas near the church and at the Montreal Airport on his return journey. He spent the night in Montreal as his arrival would miss the last flight of the day.

Early the next morning he took a puddle jumper flight to the port city where the ship was docked and he was back on the Lido deck enjoying lunch by 11:30 am and continued the 14 day voyage to its conclusion.

Guest services was extremely helpful and assisted him in printing the air ticket and hotel reservations that his TA e-mailed to him and with Canadian customs and immigration when he debarked and returned to the ship. He called his TA from the Lido to report his safe return. Everything went off like clockwork and to this day he will tell anyone and everyone that without a good TA he would have missed his sister's funeral.

Sorry, I might be not detailed enough in my first post. We will embark in Southampton, UK

Sorry, I might be not detailed enough in my first post. We will embark in Southampton, UK

Regardless you should submit something in writing to the cruise line, as soon as possible, indicating your particular situation and requesting permission to disembark before the scheduled end of the cruise. They are really the best source of information in this regard and can tell you if any special circumstances would affect your ability to do what you desire. Good luck.

I did. But no one seem to reply my mail from there. I just sent an email to Crown&Anchor and hopefully someone from there will reply me. Anyone can give me any email addresses or contact person I could email directly?

Regardless you should submit something in writing to the cruise line, as soon as possible, indicating your particular situation and requesting permission to disembark before the scheduled end of the cruise. They are really the best source of information in this regard and can tell you if any special circumstances would affect your ability to do what you desire. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

So in these situations, say you Embark on a 10 nighter in Copenhagen and disembark on day 9 in Dover. Do you get your C&A 10 points or just 8?

Archived