Going to Hell

elsplace2

We are planning on going to Hell during our visit to Grand Cayman next month. We are taking the bus and I have a few questions.

1. On average, about how long does it take from the pier to Hell?

2. How often does the bus come by to pick us up?

3. If we decide to take a cab back.....how much does it cost and how would we get one?

4. Is there a beach near Hell, where we can walk to and hang out and go swimming for a bit?

5. I thought I read somewhere that there is a bar at Hell, is there?

Thanks! Any info would be great!

FYI, there's not much to see or do there.

Basically a tourist trap for you to buy souvenirs and send a postcard from 'hell'

Yep, I know and we're one of those tourist who want to send some postcards from Hell and buy souvenirs! LOL That's why we wanted to know if there was a walkable beach or a bar....to make it even more worth the while....otherwise we will probably just get off at one of the stops at 7 mile beach on the way back....just hoping we could just kill 2 birds with one stone, via the bus.

We only stopped there briefly on our tour and like you, mailed a post card. I took pictures and I believe I posted a few in my Valor review in my signature. I cannot comment on a beach location since we were on a tour and while we did stop at a beach while waiting to switch vans, it was in between other stops and couldn't really give you a good guess as to how far away it was.

Everyone says Hell is a wasted stop and you won't really understand until one sees it for themselves. But hey, you have to do it at least once, right? :)

We are planning on going to Hell during our visit to Grand Cayman next month. We are taking the bus and I have a few questions.

1. On average, about how long does it take from the pier to Hell?

2. How often does the bus come by to pick us up?

3. If we decide to take a cab back.....how much does it cost and how would we get one?

4. Is there a beach near Hell, where we can walk to and hang out and go swimming for a bit?

5. I thought I read somewhere that there is a bar at Hell, is there?

Thanks! Any info would be great!

There is no bar at Hell and I don't believe there is a walkable beach either. Hell is cool the first time you go.

It's a great place to mail a "wish you were here" postcard to your boss, in-laws, etc. ;) We normally take first time visitors to Cayman there, for at least a brief photo and postcard stop.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I appreciate everyone trying to warn us not to waste our time..."Sarasvati" I agree with you and I don't think it will be a total waste of time.....we really don't have much planned for Grand Cayman anyway, besides MAYBE relaxing on a beach for a bit and just want to be able to get a couple of "cheesy" souvenirs....

Yes, I know what we are in for... I have read a lot of reviews on Hell....I looked it up on TripAdvisor and saw all the pics and read a lot of the reviews, so I know what to expect. (But you can only read so much, because it's all basically everyone saying the same thing.) That's where I think I had read someone mention going to the beach, and someone else mentioning going to the bar, but maybe they meant down the street.

So that's basically why I posted this thread to see if there were any of those things to make it more worthwhile to go.

No one did answer my question regarding the taxi....if we decide not to wait for the bus, how would we be able to get a taxi, does anyone know?

And also, if anyone took the bus there, how long did it take? I've read a few conflicting things on how long it takes...I'm sure it depends on how many times it has to stop. But a rough idea would be great!

Edited by elsplace2

Are you taking it as part of an excursion that includes other stops or just going straight to Hell? If you are just going to Hell, it won't take that long to get there....20 minutes or so. I wouldn't be too expensive to take a cab ride back to the port.

It's a cute place, so don't listen to the posts that say it's a waste of time. It's fun to do once but if you go back to Grand Cayman, you'll probably want to do a beach tour or something.

Having a postcard sent from Hell is a nice item to put in your scrapbook!

elsplace2 -- the wording of your posts make me laugh. I might go to Hell in November, so I'm reading the responses. It sounds like it should be a quick stop in addition to doing something else.

elsplace2 -- the wording of your posts make me laugh. I might go to Hell in November, so I'm reading the responses. It sounds like it should be a quick stop in addition to doing something else.

I know it makes me chuckle everytime I talk about going to Hell.....that's why I want to go, I want a souvenir from there and send a couple of postcards....that's all. Like you side a quick stop and moving on.

As I stated above I know what I am in for, I WON'T be disappointed and do not have high hopes of the place. I expect to be there for about 20 - 30 min. tops, then moving on to a beach, probably.

As some posters say, you gotta do it at least once.

Hell is located in the middle of a point in the island. There is no beaches around there or a bar. There used to be inferno but it has closed down. I lived in Grand Cayman for several years and would recommend the bus if you really want to go. The buses are very safe and cost about $2.50 (might have gone up a little but shouldn't be much more). They run about every 15 mins. Ask any local where bus terminal is when you get off the pier - seriously a 4 min walk. Then take a bus back down along seven mile beach and ask to be let off at governor's harbor. It is on seven mile beach and free. Calm waters and there's a little shade by the grape trees. Can't rent chairs there though because this is where everyone who doesn't want to pay (not tourists) go ;) If you really want to do something neat i would recommend the stingray city tour - it is just the best thing about the island and as a former local I did this many many many times. Enjoy it Seven Mile Beach is absolutely beautiful :) :) :) Calico Jacks is also along Seven Mile Beach and has food and drink and is a laid back inexpensive nice alternative. If you want a chair and umbrella they do rent them there. Tiki Beach is nice but very very expensive - just a word of warning.

Hell is located in the middle of a point in the island. There is no beaches around there or a bar. There used to be inferno but it has closed down. I lived in Grand Cayman for several years and would recommend the bus if you really want to go. The buses are very safe and cost about $2.50 (might have gone up a little but shouldn't be much more). They run about every 15 mins. Ask any local where bus terminal is when you get off the pier - seriously a 4 min walk. Then take a bus back down along seven mile beach and ask to be let off at governor's harbor. It is on seven mile beach and free. Calm waters and there's a little shade by the grape trees. Can't rent chairs there though because this is where everyone who doesn't want to pay (not tourists) go ;) If you really want to do something neat i would recommend the stingray city tour - it is just the best thing about the island and as a former local I did this many many many times. Enjoy it Seven Mile Beach is absolutely beautiful :) :) :) Calico

Jacks is also along Seven Mile Beach and has food and drink and is a laid back inexpensive nice alternative. If you want a chair and umbrella they do rent them there. Tiki Beach is nice but very very expensive - just a word of warning.

Thank you so much for all the tips!! If we get dropped off at Governer's Harbor, and hang out there for a bit, how far of a walk is it to Calico Jack's if we want to grab a drink?

As far as the stingrays...it doesn't really interest me....I think I would kind of freak out if they were swimming all around me. Also we are swimming with the Dolphins in Cozumel, and doing another excursion in Belize, we kind of just want a day to chillax and go to Hell. (hehe, always gives me a chuckle, when I say that.)

We loved Hell. The gift shop was tacky as Hell, but we loved it.

It's only 20 minutes or so from the pier to Hell. When I walked in the gift shop, an old guy that looked 100 said in a creepy voice, "Welcome to Hell!" I was hooked. I bought a hat from Hell.

All you need is 20 minutes or so. It is great if you have a local show you the plant life around Hell and tell you the stories about the rock formations.

The beach on the island is beautiful, too. BUT - don't miss the turtle farm! It is amazing.

Here are a couple of pics of Hell.

hell.jpg

hell2.jpg

Thanks for the pics. and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Now all I can hope for is that we make this port! We missed it once before due to a hurricane on our tail and I hear lots of people miss it due to weather and tendering in.

elsplace 2 and jkskrap -- I love your attitudes about going to Hell! I have a feeling that I will feel the same way -- know it's a tourist trap and that's ok. It's just funny.

I think we'll do the Turtle Farm in addition to going to Hell.

I think we'll do the Turtle Farm in addition to going to Hell.

Good decision! You can spend an hour or all afternoon at the Turtle Farm. Lots to see and do!

SPARKY -- ALMOST 600 POUNDS!

gc13.jpg

DON'T FORGET TO WASH YOUR HANDS!

gc14.jpg

HATCH-LINGS

gc15.jpg

ELDON HAD FOOD WE COULD FEED THEM!

gc11.jpg

gc10.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hell is one of my least favorite "tourist traps" in the Caribbean. It is basically nothing. A few rocks and a horrible gift shop with T-shirts. Years ago they at least had a good selection of hot sauces but now the t-shirts have taken over. A total waste of time in my opinion.

• 5 months later...

Arlsvera...I agree with you. I think we are also going to make a quick side trip to Hell. Take pics, get postcards, get passports stamped, buy some cheesy souvenirs. LOL!!! We'll be able to say we went to Hell, and it'll be great for the scrapbook!!:p