Visa's required? China transpacific

gospelle

I know that passengers of most ships that call on Russia and similar countries will be allowed to tour visa-free on a ship based tour. My next Celebrity cruise however ORIGINATES from China and I'm wondering then if there will be some Ship sponsored pre-cruise options that gets you from the airport to ship without a visa.

Anyone with knowledge, please let me know.

thanks,

Contact Celebrity or let your TA do it for you. However, from UK we needed a visa to enter China at the airport. Also when we arrived by sea on a cruise we also needed a visa when we entered Chinese waters. The customs officers were on board checking passports and visas before we docked.

Since you are flying into China, I think you will likely need a visa - perhaps a transit visa. This is from the Chinese embassy. http://ca.china-embassy.org/eng/lsyw/gzrz/vusa/t941629.htm

For China, passengers on a cruise ship have to have a tourist visa issued in advance, (I am doing that next year) so I think you will need a visa. My cruise line let me know 8 months in advance.

You will definitely need a multiple entry Chinese visa since you're arriving via plane and not considered an "in transit" cruise passenger. It's a very different story if your cruise had started outside of China, and it were just a port of call. But when you fly into or out of a Chinese airport, you need the visa before you leave home.

I know that passengers of most ships that call on Russia and similar countries will be allowed to tour visa-free on a ship based tour. My next Celebrity cruise however ORIGINATES from China and I'm wondering then if there will be some Ship sponsored pre-cruise options that gets you from the airport to ship without a visa.

Anyone with knowledge, please let me know.

thanks,

There should be some information on the web site under "before you leave". Make sure you have signed in and have clicked on your reservation.

The cruise lines usually work with CIBT. They are more expensive than going through the consulates, but for some of us, it's worth it to have professionals take care of the visas.

As the 2103 cruise is underway and the 2014 cruise cancelled, i guess that you must be booked on the 2015 transpacific. If so, come over an join us on the Roll Call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1835053

You will need a visa but it is far to early to do anything about it. I believe that it has to be applied for within 3 months of travel.

Sue

As the 2103 cruise is underway and the 2014 cruise cancelled, i guess that you must be booked on the 2015 transpacific. If so, come over an join us on the Roll Call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1835053

You will need a visa but it is far to early to do anything about it. I believe that it has to be applied for within 3 months of travel.

Sue

Indeed I am. I'll pop in and say hi. didn't know the 2014 one cancelled. I was booked on that until just the other day when I switched to this one.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I will get a visa 3 months prior.

Our cruise originated in Shanghai. We had to get a multiple entry visa. It only took a couple of days to get. I think it took longer to fill in the forms for 3 of us then getting it.

The 2014 Transpacific departs May 10 from Tokyo and runs via various Japanese ports and Russia to Vancouver.

Floris

Floris

Yes, that is the shorter, replacement cruise for the full Transpacific that was cancelled. The replacement cruise does not go to China and, thus, does not need a China Visa!

Sue

Archived