Why is a cruise 17 months away almost fully booked?

JudithLynne

This only applies on the same ship right? What if you are disembarking one day and embarking the same day on a different ship and line?
That's not my understanding, no.

However, two different cruise lines aren't likely to be comparing passenger lists, so the bookings likely could be done. And the US government is not as likely to catch it.

I thought that the prohibition was there to stop a foreign ship performing coast-wise transportation.

If that's right, then one ship that transports you from the US to Canada, and then a ship of a different line transporting you from Canada back to (a different point in) the US, wouldn't violate the policy behind the Act.

It might be more arguable if they were two ships of the same line, or two ships of lines that are co-owned (yes, Carnival, I'm thinking of you). But if the two lines were totally independent, I'm not sure why the Act would prevent it. It's not there to penalise passengers; it's there to stop foreign shipping lines doing certain domestic things.

If that's right, then one ship that transports you from the US to Canada, and then a ship of a different line transporting you from Canada back to (a different point in) the US, wouldn't violate the policy behind the Act.

My understanding is that it's the passenger who is the focus of the Act. It's where the passenger begins and ends the journey that is the governing question, not which ships do the transporting.

However, I am not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV. I don't know the finer points of the PVSA, just have a solid grasp of the basics.

My understanding is that it's the passenger who is the focus of the Act. It's where the passenger begins and ends the journey that is the governing question, not which ships do the transporting.
The text of the provision is:-
No foreign vessel shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, either directly or by way of a foreign port, under a penalty of $300 for each passenger so transported and landed.
Official CBP guidance also suggests that the focus is on what the carrier does, not what the passenger's plans are (particularly where they involve two independent carriers).

Of course, if anyone really wants to be sure, they would have consult a lawyer for proper legal advice.

Not if they're continuing on the same ship without a break. For the stop to count, they'd have to disembark and stay ashore in Canada before re-embarking.

As for the original question, it is also possible that HAL simply doesn't release all the inventory at the outset, but trickles it in to the market over a period of time.

So, if one travels on one HAL ship BOS-Quebec, gets off and stays in Quebec for 1-2 days, then gets on a different HAL ship to sail from Quebec to FLL, that would be ok?

Penny

So, if one travels on one HAL ship BOS-Quebec, gets off and stays in Quebec for 1-2 days, then gets on a different HAL ship to sail from Quebec to FLL, that would be ok?
As I understand the PVSA (from discussions on CC, nothing more formal), yes that should be OK.

Penny

Yes.

Not legally, they can't. If the passenger is disembarking in Ft. Lauderdale, the passenger must either board in Ft. Lauderdale and go to a foreign port, board in another country, or go to a distant foreign port while cruising.

I am a dummy here, but may I ask what you are talking about? Is it not legal for someone to cruise from NY to Florida? :eek: This is a total revelation to me! I would love to understand this.

A minimum 24 hour layover is required in a near foreign port. You cannot switch ships or cruise lines without it. Your passport will be scanned when you disembark and scanned again when you embark. The cruise lines do not have any knowledge of your subsequent booking, but Canadian Customs and Immigration certainly will know in the case that was mentioned. You might get away with it, but then again you might not.

David

I am a dummy here, but may I ask what you are talking about? Is it not legal for someone to cruise from NY to Florida? :eek: This is a total revelation to me! I would love to understand this.

It is because of the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) of 1886. You can read about it here

Is it not legal for someone to cruise from NY to Florida? :eek:

At least one of two things would have to happen for this to be legal:

1.) The ship sailed to a distant foreign port as part of the cruise (e.g. a European port, a South American port).

or

2.) The ship would have to be registered in the US.

Carol has given you a link to more information.

OK, I know we have gotten a little off-topic here, but when I read the link so kindly provided by Carol, it says there is a fine for "jumping ship," which is passed on to the passenger. So for an extra $300 bucks, a snow bird could do this! Of course, she might only do it once, at least with any given cruise line... ;)

However, at least I now understand better why Pride of America exists!

Thanks for everyone's explanations!

Archived