Helped Westerdam passengers make it to Seattle today!

Tapi

Captain Tapi...what a kind thing you did for the cruisers! You are a wonderful person for waiting...we, too, never fly in the day of...I'd be a nervous wreck if that happened to us.

Hope you, your wife, and child have a wonderful time on the Westerdam...

You must be the "fairy godperson" that we've heard about. such kindness and thoughtfulness you bestowed on thosse 4 people. I hope you are always ahead of me in any line I am in...because I know you will always get me through. Hats off to you. looking forward to saying "hi" to you. Mary

Wow. Just wow. Really nice thing to do Capt.

Just wondering, if the passengers hadn't made it and you didn't do what you did, wouldn't their bags have to have been removed from the aircraft? Thus creating an even longer delay?

As I understand it, no bag can fly with out a passenger "attached" to it and on board.

Captain,

What a great gesture to ensure that strangers were able to enjoy their vacation. I am wishing that you have a fabulous cruise yourself. I hope someone from HA corporate takes note of your good works.

Hi!

Just wanted to share a little story. I'm an Airline Captain and this morning, I had the pleasure of flying some passengers headed to Seattle to board the Westerdam.

I learned about them 10 minutes prior to departure when one of the gate agents informed me that we were missing 4 passengers who had checked in with luggage but apparently were stuck at the security checkpoint. At that point, 2 of them arrived at the gate out of breath and told us that the other 2 were still held up at the security checkpoint.

The agent gave them the choice of going without their friends or all of them could take the next flight available (which would be landing in Seattle at 5:15pm, past the ship's departure time. :()

Trying to stall the agent from closing the flight, I chit-chatted with the 2 passengers for a bit who informed me that they were on their way to Alaska aboard the Westerdam (which is the ship I'll be boarding in a few weeks! :D).

I took that as a "sign" of some sort and at that point in time, I made the decision to hold the flight as long as possible (without getting in too much trouble). I just couldn't imagine myself in their shoes, about to see their cruise vacation crumble to the ground.

I convinced the agent to hold the flight a bit longer and if necessary, to put the delay on me. I had the flight attendants get the cabin ready for departure and the First Officer run performance numbers taking the 4 passengers into account. All we'd need to do would be to close the door once the passengers arrived.

With 4 minutes to spare, the last two passengers showed up! We all ran down the jetway and closed the door for an on-time departure! :)

If the 4 of you are Cruise Critic members and happen to read this, I hope you have a WONDERFUL time on the Westerdam today! It truly made my day to have been instrumental in getting you there. :)

To everyone else: please, please let this story be a reminder to NEVER fly on the day of your cruise! (I did "lecture" these passengers a bit about it too :o)

On behalf of all who have run to the gate,thank you, thank you, thank you.

Have a wonderful cruise on the Westerdam!

• 2 weeks later...

Way to go Tapi! Wish there were more like you. Maybe we'll bump into you on the Westerdam as we are headed to Alaska on June 8 also. This will be our third trip. Tip: Be on deck or balcony as the ship approaches Sitka. The scenery is beautiful. Take care and enjoy your cruise.

Just wondering, if the passengers hadn't made it and you didn't do what you did, wouldn't their bags have to have been removed from the aircraft? Thus creating an even longer delay?

As I understand it, no bag can fly with out a passenger "attached" to it and on board.

Good question, Ham Op.

I wonder too.

For domestic flights baggage can go w/out the pax, international they typically would be taken off. And yes, that can cause a delay.

Kudos to the OP for holding. My husband works in airline operations, he has to make this type of tough call all the time. A recent one I recall was taking a delay on a flight to wait for 2 passengers making a late/tight connection to a Caribbean destination where the airline only flies once per week. It was during the winter, the pax were coming from the Northeast...he & his colleagues decided the couple needed a warm vacation more than the airline needed an on-time departure. It doesn't always work out, but sure is nice when it does. :)

Archived