Why are photos so expensive

We just took the May 4th cruise on board Oasis of the Seas. I can never understand why are photos on the cruise so expensive.

An 8x10 will run $19.95 each

Imagine when you go with the family or your kids it can run into the hundredths.

What I found funny is that they will printout all the pictures you take on the cruise hoping you will be some. If you don't buy any, they simply throw them away rather then sell them at a cheaper price and more people would be able to buy more

Even the CD package is expensive with 10 photos costing almost $150

In all my cruises we have purchased around 4.

We have taken about 400.

We pose for many, making stupid poses & faces expressions just to go look at them the next day.

This now has become part of our cruise routine.

No way would I ever pay $20 for a cruise picture.

Funny, if they lowered the price by just $5, we probably would have bought a bunch of them.

Obviously some DA is buying them, but not me...

They don't exactly throw them away. They actually wash off the ink and reuse the paper.

The simple answer to why they cost so much is because people are willing to pay those prices.

Who told you that? Seeing as you can buy photo paper like that in bulk for around .20 a sheet it wouldn't be worth the time and effort if possible at all to remove the ink from the paper to make it look new. Much easier and more cost affective to just recycle and move on.

Who told you that? Seeing as you can buy photo paper like that in bulk for around .20 a sheet it wouldn't be worth the time and effort if possible at all to remove the ink from the paper to make it look new. Much easier and more cost affective to just recycle and move on.

:eek: lmao :p

Funny, if they lowered the price by just $5, we probably would have bought a bunch of them.

My thoughts exactly. Even $9.95 would be a consideration. Seems so wasteful of resources. We were at an event recently where they took your photo upon arriving and later you could scroll through a screen, view, and decide before they printed your order if you chose to buy.

I do think in these days of digital photography they could just show the photos on a screen and you could order if you want them. Seems strange they would take the room in printing and showing all photos the way they do.

The photos are very expensive but still cheaper than going to a studio and having them done so for relatives and memories and for someone who is usually behind the camera and never gets a photos with hubby it is a nice treat to get one :)

I have seen people taking photos of their photos. I am not a camera buff so could they get good pictures doing this ?

Short answer: No.

But since the alternative is not getting a picture at all i believe the kind of people who do that get kind of satisfied.

Not only is it rude behavior, it's also forbidden. There are signs all over stating it's forbidden to take pictures within the photo store area.

If you like the picture a professional photographer is offering you - buy it.

If you think it's to expensive, vote with your feet and walk away.

I do think in these days of digital photography they could just show the photos on a screen and you could order if you want them. Seems strange they would take the room in printing and showing all photos the way they do.

Well, they do that as well in the kiosks on the Oasis class. But I believe people tend to buy more if they get to see the actual product they are offered.

To browse images on a screen with the possibility to print them on demand doesn't even come close to push them over the edge of buying like an actual print does.

But I'm on your side. I would personally prefer to go all digital. Best of all would be the possibility to browse all your images on your stateroom TV and select the ones you like for digital distribution to your own e-mail address. That would really be something!

My thoughts exactly. Even $9.95 would be a consideration. Seems so wasteful of resources. We were at an event recently where they took your photo upon arriving and later you could scroll through a screen, view, and decide before they printed your order if you chose to buy.

A viewing station is available on some ships. Doesn't change the price but saves you from wandering through the walls of others' pictures. Though sometimes that's half the fun.

Well, they do that as well in the kiosks on the Oasis class. But I believe people tend to buy more if they get to see the actual product they are offered.

To browse images on a screen with the possibility to print them on demand doesn't even come close to push them over the edge of buying like an actual print does.

But I'm on your side. I would personally prefer to go all digital. Best of all would be the possibility to browse all your images on your stateroom TV and select the ones you like for digital distribution to your own e-mail address. That would really be something!

Now that really would be a cool idea!

I knew I had seen the screens somewhere but couldn't remember where and now I know it was on Allure last year!

The biggest challenge for me is to actually get hubby to pose for a formal photo in the first place :rolleyes:

On Indy they have both digital machines you can view all your photos on by swiping your Seapass card but they also printed all the photos in the gallery.

But going into the photo gallery and seeing all the photos on display is part of the fun on a cruise.

It is very wasteful though in our modern age but I have been told by a photographer onboard that all the unsold photos get recycled.

Although it is expensive I do buy the odd 1 or 2 photos per cruise. Last time as there were 3 of us together, I did opt for the photo CD of 10 photos.

Because you aren't paying a sitting fee and they'll let you print the release form to make more copies at home without paying additional copyright release fees.

Where do you find the release form to print?

The photos are very expensive but still cheaper than going to a studio and having them done so for relatives and memories and for someone who is usually behind the camera and never gets a photos with hubby it is a nice treat to get one :)

Most people of cruising age which is older, like to see the finished product/pic, rather than on a computer terminal where they have order it and pick it up later. This will change in the coming years.

I agree that if you can get a good pic of yourselfs, or love ones. it is far cheaper than going to a studio at home.

We get two for free but many times, we have purchased additional good luck/looking pictures.

Most people of cruising age which is older, like to see the finished product/pic, rather than on a computer terminal where they have order it and pick it up later. This will change in the coming years.

I agree that if you can get a good pic of yourselfs, or love ones. it is far cheaper than going to a studio at home.

We get two for free but many times, we have purchased additional good luck/looking pictures.

I am hoping with a voucher book as I am now Platinum I should get a discount off photos. Is that a possibility?

I am hoping with a voucher book as I am now Platinum I should get a discount off photos. Is that a possibility?

The last Platinum coupon book included one for 50% off a second photo.

We always buy the romance package, which includes a framed picture. And now, as diamond, we each get a free picture. So we come home with at least three big pics from every cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

Archived