Here we are on Maasdam....

sail7seas

Hi everyone.

We've been having a terrific time on Maasdam but could not write until today. Internet Cafe has been down since we boarded and they only got it back up this morning.

We had a great first week but the weather was "less than perfect". Yesterday was a great, great day in Quebec and we truly enjoyed.

Food is wonderful; crew great; dining room really excellent IMO

I'm sorry to tell those of you looking forward to your 34 day European cruise that the engine is (once again) giving them more headaches.

Our 'scenic cruising' of Sagany River (and the beautiful statue) has been cancelled and a few of our ports are shortened in length of our stay.

We all know that they are doing everything possible to get the engine repaired and I'm sure they will succeed.

In the meantime, we are too busy enjoying ourselves to worry about it.

If anyone has any questions, I'll try to check back and get the answers for you....assuming the Internet Cafe stays up.

RUTHC....

Concierge gave me your message and I was so sad to have missed you. We were in Lido and I was wearing what I told you but we simply missed each other.

I'll check back IF I can.

The weather was pretty bad in Boston, also - I was landing at Logan just a few hours after you raised anchor.

And it may be a good thing that the internet cafe is down - more time for you to relax and enjoy!

Sail, I am so glad you are having a wonderful time despite a few problems on your Maasdam. We are now down to the 19 day mark before we board the Maasdam. Actually the engine problems would not bother me in the least, our 7 day cruise is so Port intensive with only one sea day I would love to add on another sea day. We currently have no tours planned we just figured we venture out on our own. I am also thrilled that the Dining Room service has been excellent. Still no word on getting to upgrade to a S but keeping my fingers crossed.

Did you get a chance to look at the mattress?

Hope you continue to have a great time:)

Hi Sail!

Glad to hear you are having a great cruise inspite of some mechanical problems... can't wait to hear all about it!

I wish it were cooler here, we are having unseasonable high temps... :o

Thanks for your report, however, we are REALLY sorry to hear about more engine problems...just what we don't need on our 35-day cruise in the North Atlantic!! Still think they should have gone into drydock to have all engines repaired before this instead of trying to patch them. This has been an on-going problem for a long time now and seems endless to me.

I too think they need to do something about this ongoing problem.It is less than 30 days till we leave for this cruse. It has been booked up for months, is not cheap, and still they have not resolved issues that were there when we were on her for th Christmas cruise. Unacceptable IMO. Perhaps they need to swap out a ship that is in alaska for her remaining cruises and put her in drydock. They seem to be selling those cruises at a substantially low price to fill them up. Take a ship that is not filling up and swap her out.

I too think they need to do something about this ongoing problem.It is less than 30 days till we leave for this cruse. It has been booked up for months, is not cheap, and still they have not resolved issues that were there when we were on her for th Christmas cruise. Unacceptable IMO. Perhaps they need to swap out a ship that is in alaska for her remaining cruises and put her in drydock. They seem to be selling those cruises at a substantially low price to fill them up. Take a ship that is not filling up and swap her out.

Not to be negative but the logistics of doing this would be impossable. First the travel time to move a ship, second canceling cruises in Alaska, 3rd the lost revenue of the time to move the ships. This just would never ever happen. We will be on the Maasdam in less than 3 weeks and I am confident that they will get her repaired again. This could happen with anyone of their ships even the the Westerdam which is fairly new.

S7S,

Glad to hear you're having a wonderful time and know our mutual friends are taking good care of you.

It looks like the weather is taking a turn for the better and we hope they get the upperhand on the engines. At least you're not sharing breakfast with the plumber!

Enjoy!

I was certain that you would get the message. The concierge was a delight, wasn't she! Sorry I didn't spot you in the Lido; I remembered the outfit description, but there were so many people....

I did see a lounge stewardess---Myra---I know from last year.

Now, about that engine! Thanks for the head's up, I guess, but this is starting to look like another adventure. :eek:

Have a nice cruise down the seaboard. The weather should be delightful for the rest of the week.

Sail,

Thanks for letting us know about your cruise and also the engine. As another one who is doing the Transatlantic in the not too distant future, I too am concerned about one engine not working properly.

In the meantime you have a wonderful last week and I hope the weather improves for the better.

Jennie

I initially had trouble posting again to this thread so started another.

An "engine expert" is currently aboard. His tools and parts are to be loaded tomorrow (I think) and the Captain expects the repairs to be accomplished.

The ship is sailing well and smoothly and we have no indication of any problems.

This has been an extremely smooth sailing.

I would NOT be concerned about anything to do with Maasdam for those of you with future cruises booked.

She's a great lady IMO and taking the very best care of us.

I'd stay aboard for months, if only we could. :)

Do not fret; Maasdam will be ready for your transatlantic and IMO it will be very hard for you to not enjoy.

Maasdam is in great condition IMO and has one of the best dining rooms we've enjoyed for a long time.

GREAT CREW for the most part. ....a few disappointments that I shall comment about when I return home.

Sail,

Thanks so much for letting us know and to know that everything is being done re the engines.

I now have to worry about our documents which as yet haven't arrived. Apparently HAL has forgotten to send them to the marketing agent in Australia. Once they turn up they then have to be sent from Sydney to Melbourne. The question is will they arrive before we leave for the States!!

Continue having a great time on board and I look forward to hearing all about it next week.

Jennie

Thanks for your latest post, Sail. We are looking forward to our 35-days aboard her and can't believe we leave in just over three weeks time. Can't wait to see Tri again.

Jennie, I am so sorry you are still waiting for your tickets. Just hope they arrive before you leave Melbourne later next week.

PLEASE don't worry about the engine. I truly believe it will be fine and you will have no difficulties. The Captain has been forthcoming on several occasions and has explained the repairs being made. HAL KNOWS this ship is leaving for her transatlantic and will have the ship ready. IMO

Maasdam is in great shape in (almost) all areas and we are already planning to book our next cruise aboard her. We definitely would NOT do that if we thought she was being neglected.

DH and I can't remember any engine problems on the Holiday cruise. I thought the ship was late getting into Norfolk for us to board because of weather?

Archived