Oceania or Regent

CDD248

We are considering a cruise later this year and the exact itinerary is available on Oceania and Regent. We've been on both of the ships used for this itinerary, but not for a couple of years. Anyone recently on these lines who could comment on the food, drinks, service, entertainment, etc? We are considering a PH on each. Regent would cost more, however, everything's included, which evens the playing field when you factor in airfare, tips, cocktails, and excursions that we'd pay for on Oceania. Any recommendations either way? Thanks for any info.

We are considering a cruise later this year and the exact itinerary is available on Oceania and Regent. We've been on both of the ships used for this itinerary, but not for a couple of years. Anyone recently on these lines who could comment on the food, drinks, service, entertainment, etc? We are considering a PH on each. Regent would cost more, however, everything's included, which evens the playing field when you factor in airfare, tips, cocktails, and excursions that we'd pay for on Oceania. Any recommendations either way? Thanks for any info.

Oceania does include free economy airfare, and my TA got a deal that includes free gratuities, so the only difference with Regent for me was drinks and excursions.

Drinks aren't a factor since I don't drink, so I was left with excursions, and I couldn't work out how I could spend the difference with Regent on those, particularly with the ports and the number of sea days on my itinerary (Barcelona to Rio) so Oceania made more sense numbers-wise.

I'm also really looking forward to eating a LOT on this cruise. Oceania has a great reputation for excellence in dining.

The only significant change I can think of in the last couple of years is the introduction of the O class ships on Oceania which are quite different from the R ships. You don't mention which O ship would you be on.

Personally, I feel that the food was always better on O (if that matters to you) but with the O class ships this was raised to another level with all the different dining venues and options.

As you have cruised on both before, perhaps you will be the best judge as to which one you prefer - I know I have no trouble deciding :)

On my Regent cruise I found most of the included tours to be sub par and ended up paying for the "better" tours (I and a lot of others got burned at Chateau Kirwan however). This brought the cost of the tours up to a rather high level (the inclusive cost + the extra cost of the tour).

On my Regent cruise I found most of the included tours to be sub par and ended up paying for the "better" tours (I and a lot of others got burned at Chateau Kirwan however). This brought the cost of the tours up to a rather high level (the inclusive cost + the extra cost of the tour).

Exactly, why pay for sub par included bus tours and everyone else's liquor?? Free is only free if you make use of it.

Another thing to remember is that the basic cabin size on Oceania is much smaller than on Regent. You have to book a PH on O to get a similar size which makes the costs much more similar. If you are happy with a smaller cabin O can be a great deal.

Another thing to remember is that the basic cabin size on Oceania is much smaller than on Regent. You have to book a PH on O to get a similar size which makes the costs much more similar. If you are happy with a smaller cabin O can be a great deal.

Works the other way around also.

Try to get something the size of Vista or Owners suites and see what you'll have to pay on Regent.

I have spent a lot of time on Regent but opted out when they went totally inclusive because I do all my own shore planning. It is a great line.

Oceania is the independent travelers choice as you can select exactly what you want without having to pay for something you don't use or want

Those seeking a luxury experience without having the confidence of travel experience would find Regent a better choice I would think.... you don't have to think about anything door to door.

A Jr Regent. on my book is Oceania.

I cant comment on cabins as I am now content on an ocean view or veranda as I was in a Regent Penthouse. I would cruise on longer cruises in lesser digs than in shorter cruises on more opulent ones. The more I travel I find the less I need.

For me a butler is fluff I neither need or want....

Well, we just got off Marina in Lima earlier this month after an 18 night voyage. We hadn't been on Oceania in quite some time. Maybe it was the fact over 100 of the crew left in Lima (and they were just dying to get off) or some other reason, but the beverage service was truly bad. At Waves Grill, it many times took 20 minutes to get someone to order a drink (alcoholic beverage). Then, after you order, it would take another 10 minute for the drink to arrive. Evening after evening in Horizons, with usually less than ten people in there around 6:30 pm to 7:00 pm, it many times took 25 or minutes to order a drink. Many times, we just gave up and went to the Bar. One night, we timed it at 32 minutes. Poor beverage service was found in Grand Dining Room as well. One night, we had already finished appetizers and still hadn't gotten our wine. The Head Waiter noticed and went to get our wine. The wine steward never returned.

Food is amazing on Oceania. We found it better than most lines we have been on. But there are serious lapses in basic service throughout the ship. We have never encountered anything like that on Regent. We were to sail again on Oceania next year. We cancelled while flying home from this trip. My parents did as well.:(

Well, we just got off Marina in Lima earlier this month after an 18 night voyage. We hadn't been on Oceania in quite some time. Maybe it was the fact over 100 of the crew left in Lima (and they were just dying to get off) or some other reason, but the beverage service was truly bad. At Waves Grill, it many times took 20 minutes to get someone to order a drink (alcoholic beverage). Then, after you order, it would take another 10 minute for the drink to arrive. Evening after evening in Horizons, with usually less than ten people in there around 6:30 pm to 7:00 pm, it many times took 25 or minutes to order a drink. Many times, we just gave up and went to the Bar. One night, we timed it at 32 minutes. Poor beverage service was found in Grand Dining Room as well. One night, we had already finished appetizers and still hadn't gotten our wine. The Head Waiter noticed and went to get our wine. The wine steward never returned.

Food is amazing on Oceania. We found it better than most lines we have been on. But there are serious lapses in basic service throughout the ship. We have never encountered anything like that on Regent. We were to sail again on Oceania next year. We cancelled while flying home from this trip. My parents did as well.:(

So now you are free to come with us Accra to Barcelona on Silver Wind next March. Just teasin". :)

orcehstrapal,

Since there are far more regular cabins on O than Owner's or Vista suites, even though the reverse is, as you say, true, it does not reflect a true comparison. Far more people will benefit from being able to book a less expensive cabin on O than Regent passengers will from being able to book a cheaper owner's suite.

Archived