Cruise from Boston with parents and 10 year old daughter, is Waltham, MA ok to stay

Cruise from Boston with parents and 10 year old daughter, is Waltham, MA ok to stay

Hi,

I'm so excited about our first cruise. We are leaving from Boston on 7/21 but we wanted to come 7/20 and stay somewhere closer than our NJ drive. I saw an embassy suites in Waltham, MA - does anyone know if that is a safe area, and how long it would take to get to the port sunday morning? It will be me and my husband, my 11 year old daughter and my parents (73 years old). Also, is there public transportaion near the Embassy suites to take to boston to do something - not sure what - saturday during the day? We are on a tight budget so any ideas where to go, where to eat etc. would be helpful. Thanks.

:o

What is your budget? One room or 2 rooms? Waltham is fine, but you'd have to drive to the Red Line at Alewife to get the T. There are often good deals on Hotwire.

What is the price for Embassy Suites?

Suites is $145. per night plus tax so around $159. It includes breakfast and a managers reception but I don't know what the manager reception is like. I tried hotwire but since I don't know the area I am a bit skeptical - I never used hotwire and if it is a hotel that is not great then I'd be afraid I would be stuck. One hotel I read a review on said it is like a hostel with lots of people living there full time. I'll have to look up the name but I know it came up as a possible hotel - it was E - something Suites. I'll check and see if I find it again. We will have a car and have to park it at the port - I saw some posts about the hotels that offer park and cruise - so now I was not sure about those - I know my father would rather just be able to get to the car instead of waiting for the shuttle and he would be nervous if the are looked unsafe - the one I looked at was Holiday Inn Express park and cruise package for $299. Thanks for your help.

Embassy Suites is just fine. Finding a hotel room for 5 is difficult. There is a Costco and a Home Depot plus some other stores in that area. You can go north to route 2 towards Boston to the Alewife T Station to get into town. Parking there is $7. To get to the port you would go south on route 128 and take the Mass Pike following the signs to South Boston - don't go in the Ted Williams TUnnel.

For a less expensive outing you might consider Minuteman National Historical Park which is spread out between Lexington and Concord. Both towns are good to poke around in and there are a variety of restaurants, historical houses, shops, and museums.

Riverside may be closer, but it takes at least twice as long to get in town from there on the trolley. Alewife is very easy to get to because it is two exits north on route 128 and a straight shot in towards Boston on an empty 3-4 lane road that ends right at the T station.

Thank-you so much for all your great advise. We live near NYC and there are so many places that I would never want to stay in or near, but we do not know anything about Boston and the surrounding areas. My cousin came to my wedding and decided the hotel I reserved wasn't where she wanted to stay, she booked a hotel (name brand) in one of the roughest neighborhoods around. So advice from people who know the area is the best. Thank-you for that.

The Minuteman National Historic Park sounds like a great idea. Thank-you so much for that idea, I didn't even think to look for something like that. It is much more in my budget. My daughter learned all about the Boston Tea Party, Freedom Trail etc and is a huge Little Women fan so there are many choices. I wish we had a few more days, but we will have to bring her back to Boston again.

How much time should we give ourselves to drive on Sunday morning to park at the port? Anything I need to know about getting there, parking, is there only one lot etc? We are sailing on Carnival Glory - a little scary since we keep hearing about all the bad things that have happened with Carnival - but it is affordable for us.

The Louisa May Alcott house is in Concord center. Everything in Concord is close together and the five of you can hop from place to place by car. There is tourist information in a small building set back from the street next to the Bank of America in the center of town. There is a NPS visitor center at Old North Bridge. Coming off of route 128 you want to take 2A to Concord - this is the Battle Road and there is a visitor center with a movie and other places to pull off and stop. Walden Pond is worth a drive by, but it can be overrun on a summer weekend and not worth the aggravation.

On a Sunday morning it should take no more than a half hour to drive in the Mass Pike (i90) to the port. You need to follow the signs to South Boston. Pull up the specific directions on Mapquest.

Wow...I have so many questions going through my head because I've been looking for hotels for two days now and cannot decide what is the best way to go. Trying to do things on a budget is really difficult. I would love to just pick and great hotel and not worry about price. Thank-you for all the advice. I posted my first time in the wrong place and someone else answered and said the Waltham is not a good idea - suggested just staying in Boston because there are lots of price points - yikes - maybe i'll try hotwire again, but my problem is 5 people. :eek:

Five people is a big problem in Boston in one room. My daughter lived in Waltham Center for several years. It's a more urban area, but really not a problem. Moody Street is filled with a huge selection of intersting restaurants. Brandeis University is also in Waltham. The section of Waltham along route 128 is primarily corporate office parks with hotels and random stores. The hotels are there primarily for business travelers, so you can get better deals on the weekend. Embassy Suites offers free breakfast, which is a really good deal for five people.

Just out of curiosity, why do you need a room for 5? Considering its 3 of you, plus your parents, wouldn't you be more comfortable in two rooms? I know, from my standpoint, it would have to be dire for me to share a room with my inlaws.

The OP posted that they are on a tight budget, so part of that would be sharing a room. That's why I suggested looking at Minuteman National Historical Park and Lexington and Concord instead of schlepping into Boston. If there's something they want to see in Boston, they have the option of doing that Sunday morning before checking in for the cruise.

We are on a tight budget. Sharing a room, especially if it is a suite is more cost effective and no problem for 1 night. We are probably not getting into the area until 2 pm on Saturday so time is a factor too. Absolutely I would love to stay in a great hotel right in Boston near everything, 2 rooms etc, however, having home repairs for 2 homes after Sandy, a one income family and retired parents make it too difficult. I am thrilled we were able to afford this cruise and hopefully it will all work out and we will all have a great time! I hope!

I was also going to suggest going to Riverside station even though the red line is faster. For someone not familiar with the area, their hotel is right near the exit to get on Rte. 128 and Riverside station is a short drive. There are also a couple of restaurants close by - Uno's and Bertucci's and a Panera, McDonald's and Burger King not too far way.

What is your budget? One room or 2 rooms? Waltham is fine, but you'd have to drive to the Red Line at Alewife to get the T. There are often good deals on Hotwire.

What is the price for Embassy Suites?

How does Hotwire work? If I book a hotel for Boston Waterfront they have some examples of hotels, but when do I find out the name of the hotel and more info and suppose it isn't what we want can we cancel? Did you ever use hotwire and what are your experiences? Thank-you very much.:confused:

There are 2 very popular restaurants with the locals in Waltham. The Chateau Restaurant on School Street. This is a local chain that serves Italian food. The other is Grassfields on Lexington Street. I am suggesting these places because they are close to the Waltham hotels, good places to take kids and moderately priced. Downtown Waltham around Moody and Main Streets have many restaurants but the on street parking is terrible and unless you know the off street parking lots, may be difficult for tourists. There is an upscale Italian restaurant in Waltham - Il Capriccio on Main Street. People asking questions may be staying one night and I am suggesting places that have parking lots and are easy to navigate in unfamiliar territory.

I've used hotwire before & have always been okay with what I got. Hotwire won't tell you the name of the hotel until after you pay for it & you can not cancel. If it truly does not live up to how they describe it, then technically you could argue the point of false advertising but its unlikely you'd get a refund. Of the times I've used hotwire, I would say that the majority of the time, I was thrilled with the hotel I got. Once I got an offbrand hotel in Miami that was a little run down but the location was great & it was in the process of remodeling.

There is currently one for $61 in the Woburn area that I am eyeing for June. If I go for it, I'll let you know what it turned out to be. :)

You might want to check out the subway/mass transit system's 24 hour pass. This might give you the chance to go into Boston & check out different places without spending a whole lot. Boston Commons, Faneul Hall, are fun places. If your parents are okay to walk alittle, you could do the walking tour out of Boston Commons (I think you just follow the painted sidewalk & stop at the point so interst).

There are 2 very popular restaurants with the locals in Waltham. The Chateau Restaurant on School Street. This is a local chain that serves Italian food. The other is Grassfields on Lexington Street. I am suggesting these places because they are close to the Waltham hotels, good places to take kids and moderately priced. Downtown Waltham around Moody and Main Streets have many restaurants but the on street parking is terrible and unless you know the off street parking lots, may be difficult for tourists. There is an upscale Italian restaurant in Waltham - Il Capriccio on Main Street. People asking questions may be staying one night and I am suggesting places that have parking lots and are easy to navigate in unfamiliar territory.

Thank-you for your great suggestions. I appreciate it.

You might want to check out the subway/mass transit system's 24 hour pass. This might give you the chance to go into Boston & check out different places without spending a whole lot. Boston Commons, Faneul Hall, are fun places. If your parents are okay to walk alittle, you could do the walking tour out of Boston Commons (I think you just follow the painted sidewalk & stop at the point so interst).

The 24 hours pass sounds great. I wish we had one here. I'll check into it. Thanks.

Archived