Please watch your childen ALWAYS

Some time ago I posted on another thread about people allowing their children to walk freely around the ship. I was blasted. These ships are like a small city. Would you allow your child to just walk around alone in the city??? There are too many places they can be pulled into and something really bad happen to them. We watched a 7 year old girl sign herself in and out of Adventure Ocean late one evening. Cruise ships they don't sail under the laws of Florida or the U.S. Call me over protective but it is my duty to keep them safe. You can't change something bad after it already happened.

How many people total are on the ship? Roughly 3,000 passengers and another 3,000 crew give or take. Lets round up and say 7,000. This is hardly the size of a small city. My town has more people than that. And I let my 12 and 14 year old walk home from school alone. I let them go downtown to the pizza parlor with their friends or to the general store to buy candy. They know to be wary of strangers.

As for on the ship, yes I do let them walk around by themselves. They have rules for what to do and what not to do which I will not detail here. But there are bad people anywhere and bad people do things to anybody including adults. That man in the elevator could have groped an adult women who entered the elevator with him. In fact most of the stories that you hear about things happening to people on cruises seem to involve adults who have had too much too drink. I'm not going to have my children live life in a cocoon because of the possibility that they may run into a bad person.

It's scary no matter where we are. However, we have to let them go at some point.

Of course, this is said by the mom who's scared to death to let her 20 year old (but about 16 years in real age) move downstate to live with his sister to work this summer and attend college in Sept.

One of my sayings is "Let Go and Let God". I'm scared but I know He is in control.

Mary

I remember a few years back when a woman in NYC was blasted for letting her 10yo ride the subway home from <school/grocery store/somewhere> by himself. It was a route he'd taken countless times with his parents, and nothing happened to the boy along the way, and yet it got national attention with people calling her an irresponsible parent, etc.

My son is currently 13yo, and he has been able to go up and down our street alone since he was 5yo. This does not, however, mean he was allowed to "roam the streets". He had to tell us when he was leaving, he had to tell us where he was going, and he had to check in when he returned or if his plans changed.

We live on a dead-end street (cul-de-sac), and we know many of our neighbors. Our son knows who he is/isn't allowed to talk to, and he knows what homes he is/isn't allowed to enter. He also knows to make a BIG scene if he's ever in a situation where he's uncomfortable, including kicking and screaming "you're not my parent!" and the like.

When we go on our next cruise, I'll have no problem allowing him to walk around the ship alone, but that doesn't mean he'll be at any more risk than he would be walking home from the school bus. Just like at home, he will have to check in with me, he will have a curfew, and he will have rules about where he can go and who he can hang out with.

We can't be with them for life -- we have to teach them how to handle themselves as they're growing up, so that they will one day be able to handle independence.

My 9 year old rides her bike to the park over a mile away. She was going to the bathroom on her own as young as 7 on cruise ships. Horrible to accuse the parents who made a choice when clearly this is an act of a horrible man. I myself would have hunted him down and dragged him by his ear to Security.

Agree 100%

I said before when this issue came to light that parents need to remember they are cruising with thousands of STRANGERS. Why any parent would let their child wander around without supervision on as ship with 4000 strangers is beyond me.

It's a sad situation. Parents shouldn't HAVE to watch their children on cruises 24/7. Kids should be able to roam a little and have some fun. Unfortunatly our world isn't a small world after all. Pun intended, and because of this parents have to be on the offense not defense. If that would have been my child 911 would have been called because I would have personally found him and beat him to do the ground. I'm just saying.

I couldn't agree more, especially with the last part. We all can make life much better for youngsters by speaking up when seeing odd behavior involving a child. I would rather apologize profusely to a parent than let a child be harmed.

I said before when this issue came to light that parents need to remember they are cruising with thousands of STRANGERS. Why any parent would let their child wander around without supervision on as ship with 4000 strangers is beyond me.

What age is "old enough" to walk without holding a parent's hand?

Do you meet your highschooler at the bus stop and walk them home?

Do you accompany your 14yo to the bathroom?

When do kids learn to be independent? Do you accompany them to college and walk them back and forth from dorm to classroom?

I was thinking along the same lines, sunnysavannah. It is not unheard of for ships to delay departure for a number of reasons - a potential crime onboard seems like a good reason. Seems odd they would carry on business as usual, unless this sort of thing happened more often than we know, which would be sad.

I really, really hope that is not the case.

Why when some posts on this board, people get nasty. I posted the very some thing on the Disney board and they are nowhere as mean in their comments. I posted this NOT to talk about how to parent but to inform people what can happen. The video in the post was a shock to me. You can see the little girl was caught off guard and was put in a unfortunate satiation. I'm sorry I worded the headline the way I did. I posted this in hopes that parents take WHAT EVER steps they wish to protected their children.

You are so right on!!

delete

Why when some posts on this board, people get nasty. I posted the very some thing on the Disney board and they are nowhere as mean in their comments. I posted this NOT to talk about how to parent but to inform people what can happen. The video in the post was a shock to me. You can see the little girl was caught off guard and was put in a unfortunate satiation. I'm sorry I worded the headline the way I did. I posted this in hopes that parents take WHAT EVER steps they wish to protected their children.

What age is "old enough" to walk without holding a parent's hand?

Do you meet your highschooler at the bus stop and walk them home?

Do you accompany your 14yo to the bathroom?

When do kids learn to be independent? Do you accompany them to college and walk them back and forth from dorm to classroom?

The problem with forums is that people express their opinions and the way they are read by others isn't always taken in the way they intended. I was a careful mum. I don't make any apologies for that. I parented to the best of my ability doing what I felt was best for my children and our family. Don't you think that your questions are a little sarcastic? Mothers can be careful - it doesn't mean that we're raving, possessive lunatics, seeing perverts behind every tree. In the end most of us know when it is time to give them more independence and when it is time to let go. All that being said, unless you are a mother, you cannot know how hard it is to ever stop worrying about your kids. It's just part of thejob.

We let our kids roam freely. ds18 dd17 ds14 dd13 they have been on four cruises our first being on disney. so this saddens me greatly to hear. the first was in 09 so they are a bit older now. They may be out with freedom but are never alone either with siblings or kids they meet on the ship. They always come home with tons of new friends. Im postive my daughters would have knocked the snot out of that guy and kicked him in his "happy place" till he couldnt stand. At that point im sure they would have found the nearest crewmember and reported it and then had us paged.

Not blaming the parent but if your going to let them have personal freedom make sure they can hold their own in any situation.

The problem with forums is that people express their opinions and the way they are read by others isn't always taken in the way they intended. I was a careful mum. I don't make any apologies for that. I parented to the best of my ability doing what I felt was best for my children and our family. Don't you think that your questions are a little sarcastic? Mothers can be careful - it doesn't mean that we're raving, possessive lunatics, seeing perverts behind every tree. In the end most of us know when it is time to give them more independence and when it is time to let go. All that being said, unless you are a mother, you cannot know how hard it is to ever stop worrying about your kids. It's just part of thejob.

I actually AM a mother.

And while I take my job as protector of my child very seriously, it is also important that I teach my child how to get along in the world.

So many people in this thread are talking about NEVER allowing your child out of your sight, even at 11yo. IMO, that is not practical, nor does it benefit the child's ability to develop independence.

Children need supervision, instruction, and guidance, but they also need to be allowed increasing amounts of independence as they get older and demonstrate an increased level of maturity.

This original story might have ended differently if the child in question had been taught some basic self-defense, etc. I am NOT saying that any of this was the child's fault...the pervert is the only one responsible for his actions. But if the girl had been taught to raise a ruckus, if she had been taught to hit and kick and scratch and scream, this story might have ended differently.

couldnt view the video on the post but I have seen another one that was posted and facebook. only last 46 seconds and video shows little to nothing. there must be more to it then what the video shows. perhaps another camera at a different angel or a recording of what was said.

People take Disney cruises to let their kids roam freely because, hey, its Disney. That's why all the space that would be adult revenue center on any other line is converted to kids clubs and the like. That's a good chunk of the marketing pitch to parents too. I'm not going to spend significant energy arguing parenting methods online given that I don't have 'em, but it seems pretty obvious to me that if you're a parent who has never let your kid go do anything in the world without your direct supervision, you're probably a pretty overbearing parent and the sort of person I really dislike coming across in public settings. I'll give you a pass if the kid has a severe learning disability or something, but seriously. C'mon.

With that aside, this sort of thing is practically inevitable in mass tourism. What isn't inevitable is the reaction on the part of DCL to sweep it under the rug. Obviously their hope is that by flying the guy home instead of letting him go to court, this stays out of the papers and doesn't make them look bad. That's pretty disgusting behavior and tells me a lot about how they view they really view their pax.

What I find disturbing was what a brazen act this was by the Disney staff member. Not in a closed elevator but an open one with passengers not too far away. I doubt this was his first time of molesting a child. He has built up his confidence.

I am a great believer in the buddy system. I would not have let that girl walk around the ship by herself.

Laura

I work Retail and I hate to say it, but most parents don't seem to give a damn about their kids until something goes wrong. It is like their children are an inconvenience. Kids running around breaking things, throwing things, talking trash to adults...Then the denial from the parents, no apologies, and certainly no offer to pay for damages.

Oops make that once decision.....First I too have to comment on how combative some of the posts are despite how I may interpret them, they are mean spirited. On vacation, most people relax and tend to let down their guard which can lead to becoming easy prey for a pick pocket,etc. Also, the one thought that came to mind while reading this thread was I am sure Etan Patz's family forever regrets their decision to let him walk to school that day because he wanted more independence. Parents can be vigilant and still teach children how to look out for themselves as well as basic life skills.

I agree. I assumed your post was just an FYI. No need for advice, anger, sarcasm, etc. Thank you for letting people know what can happen, even when Disney is involved.

Archived