Carnival Sunshine: the good, the bad and the ugly.

EZ4

I have not been keeping track, so can anyone tell me what the plans are for their next new - not overhauled - ship are? Aside from likely having a low passenger space ratio, any specifics?

It's certainly less expensive to make a "new" ship from an old one, "Greener" I suppose too, though you can only do so much.

I wonder why some lines can make major changes, and yet acknowledge that it's still the same ship. RCI's Enchantment of the Seas comes to mind (was, and still is, the Enchantment):

i-BGjb74w-L.jpg

Was Carnival the first to try and pass off a (major) dry docked cruise ship as "new"?

i-5Vd573Z-L.jpg

Tom

It always amazes me in all walks of life that people pass judgement on what's others say..."my brother's best friends dog owns a goldfish who said..."

Sent from my ST26i using Forums mobile app

and of course the dog, chimp, goldfish, monkey, etc will embellish each iteration until the original is unrecognizable.

you can still count the number of people posting in this thread who have been on Carnival Sunshine on one hand and probably have fingers left over.

I have not been keeping track, so can anyone tell me what the plans are for their next new - not overhauled - ship are? Aside from likely having a low passenger space ratio, any specifics?

It's certainly less expensive to make a "new" ship from an old one, "Greener" I suppose too, though you can only do so much.

I wonder why some lines can make major changes, and yet acknowledge that it's still the same ship. RCI's Enchantment of the Seas comes to mind (was, and still is, the Enchantment):

i-BGjb74w-L.jpg

Was Carnival the first to try and pass off a (major) dry docked cruise ship as "new"?

i-5Vd573Z-L.jpg

Tom

Did they cut the ship in half and add a new middle section???

and of course the dog, chimp, goldfish, monkey, etc will embellish each iteration until the original is unrecognizable.

you can still count the number of people posting in this thread who have been on Carnival Sunshine on one hand and probably have fingers left over.

a ship sailing for 17 years would have had more than 2.5 million people sailing on it, so many many many hands will be needed.

minus the weeks the ship was out of commission for repairs.

i-BGjb74w-L.jpg

i-5Vd573Z-L.jpg

Tom

I doubt NCL tried to market the Norway as used. Well, until it blew up, anyway.

Norway%2Bexplosion%2B2.jpg

Hey sarg,

You have said there were no crowds and I have read a couple reviews who sailed the sunshine and said there were crowds. How do you think my sea days will be at the pool? I have 3 sea days in July and want a chair, lol, and it looks like the ship is pretty full. Thanks!!

Hey sarg,

You have said there were no crowds and I have read a couple reviews who sailed the sunshine and said there were crowds. How do you think my sea days will be at the pool? I have 3 sea days in July and want a chair, lol, and it looks like the ship is pretty full. Thanks!!

When the sun finally came out so did some people. By July it will probably be hot. If you insist on being by the pool I imagine some other people will want to be, too. Just like the people who insist on eating lunch at 12 noon will probably run into like minded people.

If you don't have to be right by the pool, chairs will be available.

With the heat, though, I also think more people will be taking advantage of the water slides and there is no longer a pool at that end. Lots of ways to cool down in the water park. Then there is the 3 deck Serenity.

The easiest way the avoid crowds is to go where they aren't. I think Carnival Sunshine offers several competing venues that help distribute passengers around the ship.

We are looking to take this cruise in October. I see a lot of people complaining about the work being done on it and things not finished but I don't see no one complaining about how cheap it was. :o

that's because it wasn't cheap!!! At least, not if you book from the UK! Maybe america is different..

I doubt NCL tried to market the Norway as used. Well, until it blew up, anyway.

Norway%2Bexplosion%2B2.jpg

Nice photo!

Yet, back to my question... have any contracts been signed for new Carnival builds, or even speculation?

Has any other major cruise line ever tried to pass off a dry docked ship as "new"?

Tom

Pretty cool pictures of the ship

Not crazy about the Atrium art stuff though. Usually Carnival goes over the top for their atriums.

Never saw a library bar before. Great idea but people love to talk and drink. Wonder how well the concept works.

No crowds anywhere! A brilliant lesson to lessor cruise lines in cruise ship design for smooth passenger flow.

I'm sure that RCI and NCL are sending in their spies to gather cutting edge ideas from the Carnival design team since they seem so inept...

(Well, CHINA might be doing a bit of research... :D)

Tom

I'm sure that RCI and NCL are sending in their spies to gather cutting edge ideas from the Carnival design team since they seem so inept...

(Well, CHINA might be doing a bit of research... :D)

Tom

You consider RCI and NCL lesser cruise lines (to Carnival:p)?:D

Did they cut the ship in half and add a new middle section???

Sorry - I missed your question until just now.

Yes, the ship was cut and stretched. HERE is a link to an interesting article about that process.

Next month I think I'll go have a look for myself! :cool:

Tom

It does seem like Carnival has fallen way, way behind NCL and RCCL on innovation.

Interesting to see what their new ships will have.

Agreed. I look forward to seeing if there is anything which causes me to say "I'd like to see that"!

Tom

We are thinking about a Cruise on the Carnival Sunshine in May 2014, I heard it was re-done somewhat. any good things about the ship. I guess I can check to compare it to the Glory, Dream or Magic. We have been on them. thanks:D

Archived