Which islands to "do it yourself"?

MissKIA

Which islands would you recommend renting a car or just wandering around the cruise port areas? We have excursions planned for Maui and Hilo, but other than that we kind of up in the air.

We would be interested in renting a car possibly on 1 or 2 of the stops but have no idea how easy or convenient this is. :confused:

We are going to Maui, Hilo, Kona, Kauai, and Honolulu.

Car rentals on all of the islands are easy and relatively cheap.

We usually rent a car in all of the ports. The driving is also easy. Honolulu traffic is a pain, but once you're out of the city, it's easy again.

We paid $56 including tax in Lahaina last month - we were upgraded to a Mercedes SUV. We had a great day. Much cheaper then a tour. :)

I would say all the islands are good "do-it-yourself" islands. We rented a car in every port except Kona. It was very easy and fairly inexpensive (with the exception of Honolulu). The boat tenders in Kona, and the town is very nice. There are many activities within walking distance if you don't want to leave town.

We chose Kona as our "meander around the port area" day, and it was a good choice for us. Basically we strolled down the street and went into gift shops for a few hours, then had a leisurely day on board.

Our other days seemed full morning to night with tours, so we really needed the no pressure, at our own pace day.

The tender drops you right in town, and as I recall it was pretty level walking, as my 75 year old mother had no problems with it.

Like others have said, I think all the ports are doable on your own - with a rental car. Without a car, I would say that Kona is the easiest, followed by Kauai.

We chose not to rent a car for our first visit to Hawaii (earlier this month), but if we returned, we would likely rent car a car in Maui for sure and likely for at least one day in Kauai - just to give us more freedom to explore. I don't think we'd rent in Kona because it's such a walkable little town with lots to do - and we LOVED our Captain Zodiac adventure and would definitely want to do that again! :D

All the islands are worth renting a car. We found Lahaina in Maui the most difficult because the cars are a 15 minute drive form the port and the buses seem few and far between. In fact we finally got a cab to take us. Also, if you are motorcycle riders, the Harley store is across the street from the Lahania dock. Maui is a nice island to ride a motorcycle.

I would advise having some kind of plan so as not to waste too much time.

I'm sure we all have "good" suggestions.

Burt

What island was the Capt zodiac on? Was it privately scheduled or a ship excursion? Thsnk you

It's in Kona. You can book through the ship, through Roberts, or directly with Captain Zodiac. Of course directly is cheapest (by about $20pp), but it's non-refundable in the rare case that you're not able to tender.

I think all the ports are do it yourself. We rent a car and go. Love the freedom and stopping where and when we want to.

If you are not renting a car it is a little more difficult. Kona is the best do it yourself if not renting a car.

We rented a Mustang convertible with Thrifty and did our own sightseeing. It was fantastic! I highly recommend seeing the islands this way...at your own pace with no crowds and with letting your hair blow in the breeze!

:cool: Bill

It's in Kona. You can book through the ship, through Roberts, or directly with Captain Zodiac. Of course directly is cheapest (by about $20pp), but it's non-refundable in the rare case that you're not able to tender.

If you're sailing on Pride of America, you can only do the Captain Zodiac excursion through the ship. I tried contacting them directly to see if I could book it and they told me that the whole day is devoted to POA and I have to go through NCL. It looks like a really cool excursion. My husband wears glasses and they said they have snorkel masks with RX lenses.

Archived