RCL and Celebrity Cancellation discrimination

I have done a bit of a search around the booking conditions of other countries and have noted the reason for the problems for Australians with getting price drops and upgrades. Since for some reason we have to cancel and rebook to get them we can only get them if they occur a LONG way in advance. Our cancellation and lose deposit window is 150 days, the US is 74 days , the UKs is 57 days , Europe and Asia is 60 days. That means all of the other countries could get price drops involving cancellation and rebooking etc for at least twice as long as Australia and New Zealand. I really enjoy the expereince of cruising with both Celebrity and RCL but such discrimnation in basic conditions does not make me want to explore other options in the future- oar book in the US.

I have done a bit of a search around the booking conditions of other countries and have noted the reason for the problems for Australians with getting price drops and upgrades. Since for some reason we have to cancel and rebook to get them we can only get them if they occur a LONG way in advance. Our cancellation and lose deposit window is 150 days, the US is 74 days , the UKs is 57 days , Europe and Asia is 60 days. That means all of the other countries could get price drops involving cancellation and rebooking etc for at least twice as long as Australia and New Zealand. I really enjoy the expereince of cruising with both Celebrity and RCL but such discrimnation in basic conditions does not make me want to explore other options in the future- oar book in the US.

I agree!

I wonder though whether it's the same for all cruise lines doing business here in Australia.

Whose had any experience with trying to upgrade on the others - prepared to pay more WITHOUT losing their original deposit?

From the top of my head there are:

** P&O / Carnival

** Princess

** HAL

all plying their trade here.

Perhaps we need to bombard their CEO's with letters of complaint about the unfair trading practices they endorse here.

I'm just interested in a fair and comparable deal for ALL passengers, no matter where they reside.

Gae

An option is to book well after the Australian final payment date, when most price drops have already occurred. I do! :)

Just last year there was no cancelation policy that I was aware of with Celebrity. As many know I have just been on Celebrity Solstice. I booked it as soon as the season was announced and I think I booked it in 2011. A few months before the cruise it was a whole lot cheaper for a balcony than the outside cabin I had booked so I simply cancelled got a full refund of the deposit and rebooked a balcony. Simple as that. I guess many Australians did the same thing.

Just last year there was no cancelation policy that I was aware of with Celebrity. As many know I have just been on Celebrity Solstice. I booked it as soon as the season was announced and I think I booked it in 2011. A few months before the cruise it was a whole lot cheaper for a balcony than the outside cabin I had booked so I simply cancelled got a full refund of the deposit and rebooked a balcony. Simple as that. I guess many Australians did the same thing.

I would hazard a guess you were outside the 150 days if you were able to cancel without penalty. Celebrity has always had a cancellation policy of this ilk in Australia - well at least for as long as it had an office here.

It has been one of the (increasingly) few lines that allows us to book overseas.

I would hazard a guess you were outside the 150 days if you were able to cancel without penalty. Celebrity has always had a cancellation policy of this ilk in Australia - well at least for as long as it had an office here.

It has been one of the (increasingly) few lines that allows us to book overseas.

I booked a future cruise whilst on my recent Solstice cruise, I wanted to use a US Travel agent. I was told I had to use an Australian Travel Agent or book through Celebrity.:confused:

I booked a future cruise whilst on my recent Solstice cruise, I wanted to use a US Travel agent. I was told I had to use an Australian Travel Agent or book through Celebrity.:confused:

Is that because your Future Cruise Credit is in Australian dollars rather than US?

How frustrating, I suppose it just makes me sure that if I am going to book a cruise while onboard, it has to be a very good deal, and that I have done all the research prior to sailing.:D

Archived