Quantum cruise summer 2015.

Ok, so my friends and I are planning a Quantum cruise in the summer of 2015. Looking at RC's web site, it shows the 8 night cruise porting in Samana in the Dominican Republic. Has RCCL ever stopped there or has anyone been there? If so what is it like? Thanks.

We're stopping there on the Explorer next March. Haven't been before, and from what I have read it does not appear to be a well developed port. In a way, I prefer that, since it may be more authentic, if that makes sense.

Ok, so my friends and I are planning a Quantum cruise in the summer of 2015. Looking at RC's web site, it shows the 8 night cruise porting in Samana in the Dominican Republic. Has RCCL ever stopped there or has anyone been there? If so what is it like? Thanks.

We visited Samana on the NCL Spirit about 6 or 7 years ago. We did a ship excursion to the island of Cayo Levantado. It was outstanding. Most of the others who went ashore to the mainland were not as impressed as we were. A few loved it, but most said there was not much to do. Granted, that was 7 years ago and a lot may have changed. We were one of the few cruises going to Samana way back then. That being said, I personally would be happy returning to Samana and would definitely take my family to Cayo Levantado for a day excursion again.

The Explorer has gone to Samana many times over the last several years. Samana is a tender port and has several excursion options. On our last cruise, several people just tendered to the port and met up with a driver who took them to a nearby resort. They had a wonderful time. Just remember to allow extra time to tender back to the ship if you go off on your own, as the tenders can sometimes run on island time.

That is some good info to start with thanks for the info.

Lots of info on Samana on the DR port board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=374

NCL Gem stops there too, was booked on a cruise but after Sandy we had to cancel, never did get there. We were planning on going to Cayo Levantado. There is tour guide in DR who gets rave reviews if you'd like to do something else besides Cayo or going into town:

http://www.toursamanawithterry.com/

Is the Quantum schedule out because I don't see on RCL's web site.

Originally Posted by Bill_B.

Is the Quantum schedule out because I don't see on RCL's web site.

My understanding she will be going North from NY by then

Anthem of the Seas goes South in spring 2015

Go to http://www.royalcaribbean.com.

Click the plan a cruise tab.

Click Quantum of the Seas.

Scroll all the way down and there are 3 different cruise choices to choose from.

I don't see anything that says Quantum of the Seas after I clicked the "Plan a Cruise" tab.

EDIT: Sorry, I logged in and tried, then I saw it. You have to be logged in?

Edited by ibcnusoon

On my Explorer cruise in March, cruise director Richard Spacey said that Samana is Spanish for "stay on the ship". :eek:

I didn't get off the ship when we were there however next year I do plan to get off and check out Cayo Levantado.

Edited by Yorkvillain

I don't see anything that says Quantum of the Seas after I clicked the "Plan a Cruise" tab.

EDIT: Sorry, I logged in and tried, then I saw it. You have to be logged in?

I logged in and nothing came up.

What am I doing wrong?

• 10 months later...
We're stopping there on the Explorer next March. Haven't been before, and from what I have read it does not appear to be a well developed port. In a way, I prefer that, since it may be more authentic, if that makes sense.

I agree. About 8 years ago we stopped in Puerto Barrios in Guatemala, very undeveloped. We took an independent tour over to Livingston with a cruise up the Rio Dulce. One of the best shore excursions ever.