!!! BREAKAWAY !!! To Bermuda ^_^ Our Ultimate Review and Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

Then we headed toward the bus stop to catch a bus to horseshoe bay.

DSC08450_zps1e0ab217.jpg

These pictures are from inside the bus. Pictures from a moving vehicle are really hard to get. I am quite surprised that so many of them came out usable.

DSC08452_zps3f8a5057.jpg

DSC08456_zpsffdf51f8.jpg

DSC08458_zpsd5bf48f0.jpg

DSC08467_zps13917a92.jpg

DSC08468_zps465845e6.jpg

I guess ‪Dachshund‬s are common in Bermuda =)

DSC08470_zps5240d9e9.jpg

Crappy picture, nice car :)

DSC08473_zpsfd3525e0.jpg

So the drive to horseshoe Bay is about 20-30 minutes from the dockyard. Once you get there you still have to go downhill. There is a service of a small bus that goes up and down for a few bucks. I would not take it to go down hill, but we did use it to go up hill. For $2 it really was not bad at all. The guy was really nice as well.

DSC08474_zpsd934ecf4.jpg

These are going down hill.

DSC08475_zps0cdfd970.jpg

DSC08476_zps92496044.jpg

Bermuda in May is just gorgeous, all the flowers are blooming.

DSC08477_zpsba7b4409.jpg

And here is the mini bus that will drive you to the top. You just wait for her there.

DSC08481_zpscd283efa.jpg

By the way, be very careful with these scooters. I can not tell you how many people told me that they crashed or almost crashed. I also saw a few people aboard the ship on the last day with bandages all over their bodies. Just be careful, people in Bermuda drive very fast.

DSC08482_zps8dfa8c03.jpg

Horseshoe Bay beach has very nice facilities, including a restaurant, changing rooms, bathrooms, showers, ice cream parlor and even internet.

DSC08483_zpsdb581500.jpg

We decided not to rent chairs or an umbrella, I believe later on I got a picture of the prices. All I can say about horseshoe, is that it is possibly the most gorgeous beach that I have ever been to. It was kept very clean and pristine. I guess I will let the pictures do the talking now.

DSC08486_zps03cc8258.jpg

DSC08487_zps524e5745.jpg

As soon as I saw this hill I knew that I wanted to go there first and get some nice pictures.

DSC08484_zps7b71d84c.jpg

DSC08485_zpsf9076301.jpg

Around that hill you can find some nice places with shade, but my guess is that you have to get there early to get those spots.

DSC08488_zps854d99a4.jpg

DSC08489_zps9b1e3ebe.jpg

DSC08490_zpsd17056a4.jpg

DSC08493_zps8af6281e.jpg

As you can imagine being how I am, I started climbing up the hill. I noticed how inclined it was, there was no way that was the only way up. Little did I know that if you go around there is actually a really nice path that is much easier to climb up.

Once I got up there I started shooting away.

Enjoy.

DSC08494_zpsd6dacd9b.jpg

DSC08495_zpsca521fd6.jpg

DSC08496_zpsc6c27b37.jpg

DSC08497_zps64a06cba.jpg

DSC08498_zpsc663ad0d.jpg

Love! this Picture. It is also a very good snorkeling area.

DSC08500_zps399e8618.jpg

DSC08501_zps63489be0.jpg

Hotel?

DSC08502_zps1a03e942.jpg

There is a little cove on the other side, I went snorkeling there.

DSC08509_zpsa3278040.jpg

I mean, come on, really! Just look at that!

DSC08510_zpsfc4ba79e.jpg

DSC08511_zps38bdf932.jpg

Be careful not to fall from there. Scary just to look down.

DSC08513_zps0a445dd2.jpg

gambee, Thanks again for taking the time to write this review. After reading, i'll put this cruise on my must do list. May try a late summer or early fall time when prices comes down and water temps come up.

You're welcome, glad I could persuade you to go there. It is a lovely place.

DSC08537_zps82c7a376.jpg

Now let me tell you about that bird, I mean how cute is that? It is called the Bermuda Long Tail, and they are just stunning. I have a few close ups of them later on, these birds have no fear of humans.

DSC08544_zps3d66c644.jpg

Going back down, this time through the easy path.

DSC08557_zpse86b43e3.jpg

DSC08558_zps8b6ae4ef.jpg

DSC08559_zps3b858821.jpg

This is the easy way, still pretty inclined. But much better than the way I tried at first.

DSC08561_zps70c29f2c.jpg

I then went exploring and found a little cave where my mom could relax near the water and enjoy some shade. So I went looking for her to tell her to move, she really liked that spot much better than the other one. It was just really nice and she had it all for herself.

It was then that I decided to go and try snorkeling. Oh my, the water was freezing, but I just had to snorkel. I mean going to Bermuda and not snorkeling must be a crime. So I put my brave face on and decided to go try it. Please also note that is cold for my standards. The ocean in Ft. Lauderdale warms up a lot during summer, so I am a bit spooled, lol.

Here are a few of the pics I took snorkeling. They did not come out that good, but still you can see some of the underwater life.

DSC01482_zps9b553043.jpg

DSC01483_zps867c3e90.jpg

DSC01489_zpsaf9098ab.jpg

DSC01493_zps822bb421.jpg

DSC01527_zps00f013e9.jpg

DSC01534_zpsb0b7f41d.jpg

So here is the story about parrot fish, I did not know this. They eat rock and excrete sand, they are responsible for a lot of sand a year. Catching a parrot fish in Bermuda is a crime and punishable by $2,500. Just catching one will get you in trouble, if you kill it is even worse. Or so I was told. I saw a good amount of parrot fish that day.

By the way when snorkel and you hear a cracking noise, those are the parrot fish bitting rocks.

DSC01537_zps5d1b2254.jpg

DSC01540_zps560caa13.jpg

DSC01546_zps9a42a861.jpg

You can see the people on top of the hill and the long tail flying.

DSC01557_zpsdd16e812.jpg

DSC01559_zps7f6f2519.jpg

DSC01565_zps89b19b83.jpg

DSC01568_zpsdef124de.jpg

DSC01600_zps87dda8c1.jpg

You can find a lot of little places to sit and relax, it might be really nice when the water is warmer.

DSC01612_zpsc364e634.jpg

Going to take a little break and run to the bank. Ill post more later on :).

Gambee, let me first say thank you again for all the fabulous pictures and videos! I really love the pictures of the flowers and critters--I guess I'm not the only one who loves snapping those kinds of pictures!

You have made me change my mind about trying a cruise that docks in Bermuda for 3 days. I was very hesitant, as I enjoy the different ports we have enjoyed on all of our cruises. Looking at all the pictures and seeing everything you have posted has made me want to try it. Maybe next cruise!

Also, just a side note on the barracuda-every time I have ever snorkeled or gone diving I have always encountered one. Let me just say this, when you see one in open water, you know you are no longer the top of the food chain!

Thank you again for sharing your vacation with all of us. Magnificent job, my friend! :D

Gambee I am pretty sure Quantum of the Seas goes to the Bahamas for 7 day cruises and then Eastern Caribbean for 9 day cruises and then Southern Caribbean for 11 and 12 day cruises. The itineraries were just posted today. Also how much did it cost for the jet skis and where should I go to sign up to do them?

Gambee, let me first say thank you again for all the fabulous pictures and videos! I really love the pictures of the flowers and critters--I guess I'm not the only one who loves snapping those kinds of pictures!

You have made me change my mind about trying a cruise that docks in Bermuda for 3 days. I was very hesitant, as I enjoy the different ports we have enjoyed on all of our cruises. Looking at all the pictures and seeing everything you have posted has made me want to try it. Maybe next cruise!

Also, just a side note on the barracuda-every time I have ever snorkeled or gone diving I have always encountered one. Let me just say this, when you see one in open water, you know you are no longer the top of the food chain!

Thank you again for sharing your vacation with all of us. Magnificent job, my friend! :D

Glad that I helped you make an informed decision. Bermuda is one island that no one should miss.

I don't think I would ever want to see a Barracuda in the wild. I think I would get just scared as info with sharks.

Gambee I am pretty sure Quantum of the Seas goes to the Bahamas for 7 day cruises and then Eastern Caribbean for 9 day cruises and then Southern Caribbean for 11 and 12 day cruises. The itineraries were just posted today. Also how much did it cost for the jet skis and where should I go to sign up to do them?

Yeah I was looking at that. But I also believe that it will do Bermuda in the summer, but I could be wrong.

Not sure about the cost. But to buy the tour is in the little pink hut, either I posted it already or I will post it later on today I think.

These itineraries were only posted through April 2015...it is being highly speculated that Quantum will take over the Explorer's Bermuda route in the summer of 2015.

These itineraries were only posted through April 2015...it is being highly speculated that Quantum will take over the Explorer's Bermuda route in the summer of 2015.

That's what I thought. Lets hope so :). Would love to do quantum to Bermuda. But I don't think I'll pay to go up and then go back down to Florida.

Gambee... You pushed me over the edge! Have been thinking about canceling the cruise for weeks now and while I'm still not happy about service related issues and some things on the Breakaway compared to other ships, I finally decided to make the final payment. So... I am now committed to this cruise in August. Hopefully the weather is as nice but not tooo hot.

Thank you! :)

these are the itineraries for Quantum! hope it helps, none of them say Bermuda but who knows! http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/meet-the-ship/itineraries/ ALSO LOVING THE REVIEW GAMBEE :)

Stunning, stunning pictures of Horseshoe Bay. The blue of the sea the black rock and blue sky, just wonderful.

I really do feel that I am getting a real eye-witness account when I read your review. It is so much more than a review. It is a " this is where I was, this is what I saw and you can see it too" kind of account. Love it!

Day 5, Bermuda.

I guess I can start this day by writing about my overall opinion of Bermuda. What can I say about Bermuda other than it is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE ISLAND YET! Everything about Bermuda is great, the locals are super polite. You will never (or at least that was our case) experience pushy sales people anywhere in the island. Even the children are extremely polite, it is almost like they taught in the school to treat the tourist with the upmost respect to increase tourism.

The island itself is kept immaculate! I could not believe how clean it was, actually it was cleaner than Ft. Lauderdale! So are the beaches and parks, everything is just extremely clean. Also the way the houses are painted helps the island reflect a very inviting feeling for tourists. This island is like the complete opposite of Jamaica!

The ocean! Oh my that ocean… It is just about the most beautiful blue ocean my eyes have ever seen. Snorkeling was just ok, and the water was freezing (must get better in summer), but overall it was just stunning! I remember a local telling that one time a tourist asked her for 3 empty bottles so she could take home samples of the different colors of the ocean for her son who could not make the trip. That made me cracked up, so funny :D, lol. But I guess the reason for the story is that the colors variate with depth so dramatically that it just makes for some stunning views for miles away.

There is just so much to do in Bermuda, 3 days are not enough. Now I can see why people go to Bermuda year after year and never get bored of it. I think I could go there 3 more times, before I say I had enough and like to try something else.

Like all the Caribbean it tends to be expensive, actually I think Bermuda is the most expensive port I've been to. But then again with just getting off Breakaway that nickels and dimes you for everything, Bermuda was not as bad of a hit :D.

I don't think I would ever fly to Bermuda, but I do have to say that I have Quantum on my sight for 2015 to go to Bermuda.

One more thing to talk about was my hesitation to be docked for 3 days instead of being on the move every night. I must admit that this one huge factor when it came time to book Breakaway, I really hated the idea of being docked. But let me tell you something, I like it. Not for every cruise, but every once in a while it is very nice to have the ship just work like a hotel. You can come and go as you please, at any time of the day or night. It felt very nice to get off the ship to go use the internet and stretch our legs. It was also very nice to be able to take pictures of the ship at night.

On a final note for those who are hesitant of doing the Bermuda itinerary, all I can say is try it. You might just be very surprised at how much you will like it, or at least that was our case. We can't wait for the next time that we are able to go to Bermuda.

Gambee - I have followed all of your reviews and must tell you they are wonderful! I was particularly interested in this one since Bermuda has always been my all-time favorite place to vacation!!!! I went there 3 years in a row (all land vacations) and spent a total of 36 days there. Still not enough! :D

Since I too live in Florida (and am not a fan of flying anymore) I now tend to stick with the Caribbean cruises out of Miami/Fort Lauderdale, but I have always wanted to go back to Bermuda. The only place I have been that even comes close to those beautiful waters is Bonaire - but Bermuda is still my favorite. Wonderful island - wonderful people! You needed to go to the Hog Penny Pub in Hamilton. Maybe next time?

Thanks for "taking us with you"!